Set One Year PR for Silver Coins and Wheats!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

It's good to be back in the fold. My brother and I first discovered metal detecting back in 2005 as adolescents. We detected pretty seriously from about 2008-2010. During those years, we hunted mainly parks and other public areas. During our best year we found 15 silver coins and 76 wheat pennies.

Prior to this year, we hadn't gotten out since 2011. I stumbled back into the hobby doing some shipwreck hunting with a friend in June and have been sneaking detecting into my downtime since early July. My brother (washingtonian jr) came out of retirement a few weeks ago and we've been rolling since.

That brings me to today's hunt. My goal on the year was for us to beat our previous best year of 15 silver coins. I know that doesn't sound like much to some of you, but that's harder than you think in the Seattle area. I've switched strategies this year and started hunting almost only permissions. Every once in a while you get a dud, but overall the payout per hour is much higher than public spaces.

I got a text from my neighbor two days ago that read:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505277229.148227.jpg

Well, I took Barrett up on his offer and went there late this afternoon. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to be had, my only decent find was a 1947-S wheat penny. He was really kind and was telling me about an 1850s battle that took place on the Indian reservation where he works and that he might get us permission to be able to hunt it. I told him that would be awesome and that he'd be welcome to use my spare detector!

Well, I was a bit disappointed but am not one to be easily deterred. I saw a pretty dilapidated house on the way there with some "For Rent" signs outside so I figured I'd introduce myself and double-check that hunting the sidewalk strips outside the house (technically public property) would be alright. No one answered the door and it looked pretty empty inside. I figured I'd probably be fine so off I went.

I booted up my DFX and my first good signal was a wheat penny. "Great!" I thought, "this place has some real potential!". In the next 20 minutes I found 3 more Wheaties. Then things slowed down for about 45 minutes. I was digging a lot of junk and getting weird interference in the ground.

I kept at it and out popped this perfect looking earring. I figured it was silver by the look of it and sure enough there's a 925 on the back. I ambled on for a while longer and wasn't getting anything old. I was running late to meet up with some friends and was about to pack it in when I got a decent signal. "If this isn't something old, I might just call it a day" I was thinking.

Bam! It's a 1963-D Roosevelt Dime! That put my brother and I at 16 silvers on the year! So cool to hit the accomplishment and still have so much good hunting ahead this fall. Shortly after I pulled out both the large tokens within a couple feet of each other. They are good for one dollar in trade at the Seattle World's Fair of 1962 when the Space Needle was built. Such a cool piece of history! Oddly enough, I was at Joe's house (my neighbor who texted me above) and his wife showed me one of these tokens that's in their collection just two days ago so I knew exactly what it was.

A little while later I got my 6th and last wheat of the day which put us at 77 on the year, one higher than our total in 2009.

All in all, it was a surprisingly good day to be on the hunt! Here are my finds:
-1 Silver Dime (1963-D)
-6 Wheat Pennies (44 S, 44 D, 46 D 47 S, 49 S, 52 D)
-2 Seattle World's Fair Tokens
-1 Silver Earring

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505277884.927729.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505277894.835438.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505277903.218312.jpg

Thanks for looking and for all your support over the last couple months. You guys are awesome!

-Washingtonian

Last edited:
Upvote 26

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you guys are back at it! Congrats on hitting your goals and with so much hunting time left in the season, you'll surpass your records by far- GL!

-- Jeff --

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, awesome story! Glad to see you back in the dirt...good luck to you both..Ddf

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver and reaching yet another goal.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now you'll have a new record to set next year. :headbang:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
any day that you end up with silver jewelry, a silver coin, a couple of cool tokens and wheaties is a good day indeed

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome reaching your personal best with time to spare!
Do your research over winter and double it next year!
lol!
Congrats!

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool read! Congrats on passing that record up too. Still loads of hunting left also....

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post! Thanks for getting back into the swing of things along with your brother. I imagine even being out west you two will start finding greater concentrations of keepers because you got the obsession taking you over. Cool finds today BTW!:headbang:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Methinks your devotion to the hobby just kicked up a level or two :)

Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread