Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Went to Vermont, Connecticut, and New Jersey in an hour and a half.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Went to Vermont, Connecticut, and New Jersey in an hour and a half.

3 state coppers, a large cent, Spanish 1 real, a KG III, and a Cft Irish half penny. Not bad for an hour and a half. I found the Conn,( my 16th), and the 1 real. DigginitRTB found the other 5. The Vermont is a COUNTERFEIT, close to Ryder 3 but letters and spacing don't match die. Coin is DEFINITELY a alloy based contemporary Cft. First I've seen. Waiting on call back from Tony Carlotto. Only posted clean pics of the Vt. The others, although identifiable, coins are shot. VT has file marks on edge.Hoping IP or DON can pipe in as this is a first for us. Never seen a contemporary Cft. VT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	1493997   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	113 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	1493998  
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT)...To be continued

Here are the uncleaned coins and buttons.

Views:	126 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	1493999  
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT)...To be continued

us
    Jefferson Detwiler

Nov 2013
    MA
    XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
    684 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    That is a seriously obscene haul for 90 minutes. Amazing variety and qty! What kind of location are we talking about?
    Underwonder and vermonster like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Patriot

Apr 2016
    Georgia
    Excalibur 2, CTX 3030 Stealth 720i ,RTG 6" Lesche GS 36 Predator Raptor TRX pp
    2116 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yep I agree !! Congrats !!
    USMC 67-70/ VN 69-70

"oh.... thot ya wuz whipper-snippering"

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    6270 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Great! And obscene! Great going.
    4x4x4 likes this.

wow, another major first, totally mind blowing too! congrats
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

May 2016
    vermont
    fisher gold bug at pro
    710 times
    good haul for ninety minutes!

Everything you describe doesn't really go together. If it's a lower grade metal and you think counterfeit it would most likely be cast, and if cast it would be an exact match for Ryder 3. If the spacing does not match Ryder 3 the only possibility is it's another variety, or a new variety, but I don't think it's either. I posted an image below and look at the little mark that's just left to the A at the bottom, a mark left from the die and your coin appears to have the matching mark, which is basically the same idea as matching die cracks. So that really only leaves two choices... your coin is genuine, or a cast counterfeit of Ryder 3. Sometimes a rough copper can look very much like a cast ctft. so even though it's fairly convincing I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility it's genuine. Either way it's a good find, and a 'rare' coin if genuine, or a cool find if counterfeit.

Name:	r3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	1494165  
    Scrappy, Mzjavert, pepperj and 4 others like this.

us
    Do not forget me 24601

Oct 2011
    Indiana
    Bounty Hunter Mark IV Garrett Ace 350 Garrett Carrot
    2716 times
    Metal Detecting
    Counterfeit or real, its still beautiful.

Feb 2009
    5654 times
    Congrats on all the coppers and the one silver, with all running around to the different states I hope you had time for a quick bite to eat. Really Hogge that's one sick short hunt.

us
    Mar 2003
    Illinois / Oklahoma
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro - Fisher CZ 5
    4715 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Nice coin with history either way ! Congrats on your finds.
    Underwonder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    12335 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    That's a great hunt right there congrats on all keepers
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

us
    Oct 2013
    Herndon, Virginia
    Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
    1215 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Wow, 6 1700s coins in an hour and a half. Must've been a hell of a ride. Big congrats!
    without history, there would be no future

us
    Prospector

Jun 2008
    Northern Alabama
    Whites
    2132 times
    Short but sweet! Nice hunt that was!

What an outstanding assortment of early coins for such a short hunt! I'm sure you guys will be revisiting that site very soon. Good luck!
    Many of you were aware that I've been working on a major book project for close to 3 years, and now it's finally been published. This book, entitled “DISCOVERING VIRGINIA’S COLONIAL ARTIFACTS – AComprehensive Guide to Recovery, Identification and Preservation”, is 400 pagesin length and packed with nearly 1000 color photos of 16th thru 18th centuryartifacts I’ve personally recovered over the last 20+ years along with manyquality post-colonial finds that randomly turn up at early sites. I alsobelieve it’s the first of its kind in this subject matter area to hit themarket. But don’t be misled by the title as this is a must-have not only forcolonial enthusiasts, but for all novice and veteran relic hunters as well as itcovers a wide range of pertinent topics including research methods, how tosecure permission, reading and searching sites, finding and excavating trashpits, artifact cleaning, preservation, documentation and display, ethics, andmuch more. It basically doubles as both a “how-to” manual as well as a colonialartifact “encyclopedia” covering all major categories to help more preciselyidentify and date your finds. It also contains 40 sidebars scattered throughoutthe book that expand on various topics of interest plus a listing of “SuggestedResources” at the end of most chapters that identifies other publications,websites, technical papers, etc, for additional reading if desired. The bookalso includes 9 appendices to provide supplemental material. It’s alsoprinted in all color on high quality, glossy stock and is contained within aheavy and attractive hardcover. If you're interested in ordering a copy you can click on the PayPal link below. It's cost is $59 + $5 for shipping within the continental US. If you’d like to check out some sample pages from the book, as well as scan the Table of Contents to get a better feel for what the book is about, you can click on the following link: http://colonialartifacts.com/2017/10/book-description/
    Thanks for looking ....

ttps://www.paypal.me/ColonialArtifacts

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links