Went to Vermont, Connecticut, and New Jersey in an hour and a half.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 state coppers, a large cent, Spanish 1 real, a KG III, and a Cft Irish half penny. Not bad for an hour and a half. I found the Conn,( my 16th), and the 1 real. DigginitRTB found the other 5. The Vermont is a COUNTERFEIT, close to Ryder 3 but letters and spacing don't match die. Coin is DEFINITELY a alloy based contemporary Cft. First I've seen. Waiting on call back from Tony Carlotto. Only posted clean pics of the Vt. The others, although identifiable, coins are shot. VT has file marks on edge.Hoping IP or DON can pipe in as this is a first for us. Never seen a contemporary Cft. VT.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 204
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    629.2 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 44
OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the uncleaned coins and buttons.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    884.4 KB · Views: 180

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a seriously obscene haul for 90 minutes. Amazing variety and qty! What kind of location are we talking about?

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I agree !! Congrats !!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, another major first, totally mind blowing too! congrats

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything you describe doesn't really go together. If it's a lower grade metal and you think counterfeit it would most likely be cast, and if cast it would be an exact match for Ryder 3. If the spacing does not match Ryder 3 the only possibility is it's another variety, or a new variety, but I don't think it's either. I posted an image below and look at the little mark that's just left to the A at the bottom, a mark left from the die and your coin appears to have the matching mark, which is basically the same idea as matching die cracks. So that really only leaves two choices... your coin is genuine, or a cast counterfeit of Ryder 3. Sometimes a rough copper can look very much like a cast ctft. so even though it's fairly convincing I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility it's genuine. Either way it's a good find, and a 'rare' coin if genuine, or a cool find if counterfeit.

Attachments

• r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 80

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Counterfeit or real, its still beautiful.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on all the coppers and the one silver, with all running around to the different states I hope you had time for a quick bite to eat. Really Hogge that's one sick short hunt.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, 6 1700s coins in an hour and a half. Must've been a hell of a ride. Big congrats!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What an outstanding assortment of early coins for such a short hunt! I'm sure you guys will be revisiting that site very soon. Good luck!

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything you describe doesn't really go together. If it's a lower grade metal and you think counterfeit it would most likely be cast, and if cast it would be an exact match for Ryder 3. If the spacing does not match Ryder 3 the only possibility is it's another variety, or a new variety, but I don't think it's either. I posted an image below and look at the little mark that's just left to the A at the bottom, a mark left from the die and your coin appears to have the matching mark, which is basically the same idea as matching die cracks. So that really only leaves two choices... your coin is genuine, or a cast counterfeit of Ryder 3. Sometimes a rough copper can look very much like a cast ctft. so even though it's fairly convincing I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility it's genuine. Either way it's a good find, and a 'rare' coin if genuine, or a cool find if counterfeit.
I'm going to examine the coin tonight closer. BETTER PICS ARE COMING, along with the other coins that we have to clean up. IP......I HOPE TO HECK this coin is real......because I can tell you if it is....it WILL be a new die variety. Waiting on contact from TONY C. It almost looks like a combination of R-2 and R-3. I NEED BETTER PICS, and will get them tonight. Both Ryder varieties were the only use of both obverse and reverse dies. If you look at only 1 point in the obverse...(and there are many differences), look at where the landscape meets the letters on the right side. It's WAY OFF as regards to where the "BLI" should be. More or less mirrors the R-2, YET, the reverse is the R-3....or close to it. LOTS of questions yet ........Gotta bring this to TONY. I'll PM you and keep you informed.....(My heart is a "flutter") LOLOLOLOL!!!!! Just from my pics....and consulting Breens and Coinfacts.....It appears we have an R-2 Obverse, coupled with an R-3 Reverse.

Last edited:

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate you.. Just kidding. Just jealous. That's a heck of a hunt!

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a disgusting amount of coinage to pull in 90 minutes. I would chalk that up as a good seasonal total for me! Great job and thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread