paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was a KGII when it came out of the ground, but it looked to be in decent shape so I didn't do any field cleaning and just popped it in the holder for safekeeping. Good thing I did; after a light rinse it was clear the lettering was wrong for a King George and instead goes to an 1787 Connecticut copper! This is my first verified one, but I have a toasted disk that could theoretically be a Conn copper too.

DSC02915.JPG DSC02918.JPG DSC02920.JPG

All things considered the obverse is in decent shape with the majority of the lettering legible and some of the details intact. The reverse is in much worse shape, but the date is there so not a total loss.

I could use your help on nailing down the variety; I poked through the image database for this year and Miller 46-BB looked the closest due to the four-pointed stars and the size/positioning of the lettering, but that's a rare variety so I don't want to get my hopes up. Any experts please chime in!

This was the third hole dug and oddly this was the only old piece to come out of the yard today; the next oldest find was a 1955 wheat! :laughing7: Funny how those things go sometimes.

Upvote 35

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wowie! That's wonderful! Congratulations.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, totally awesome! :headbang: congrats on the wonderful first! really cool too, something that a guy like me has no hope of ever finding but I am very happy for you:occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doesn't get better than that.
Congrats

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much! Even if it's a common variety; state copper coins are always near the top of the wish list when I flip over a plug!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on scoring a first Connecticut Copper! So cool to get those old coins out east. Hoping you got the unique variety. :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right on variety, only it's very rare, and not rare. The one way to sort of proof check it is if you can find a pic of Miller 56-BB. It's the only coin that shares an obverse, and I assume you could quickly rule it out as not being yours by the reverse. The reason it's sort of a check is because it would be hard to imagine there would be another CT besides it that could be such an accurate match for your coin. So I think it looks good you have a very rare find.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does appear to be a 46 BB which is I believe a rarity 5. Pretty nice detail as well for a dug coin.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the Conn. copper its beauty. Hope IP is correct in the ID as well and it's a very rare one.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome old coin!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right on variety, only it's very rare, and not rare. The one way to sort of proof check it is if you can find a pic of Miller 56-BB. It's the only coin that shares an obverse, and I assume you could quickly rule it out as not being yours by the reverse. The reason it's sort of a check is because it would be hard to imagine there would be another CT besides it that could be such an accurate match for your coin. So I think it looks good you have a very rare find.

That's great to hear! I've been poking around google looking for an image of a 56-BB, but no luck so far. It's crazy to think there might be only 13-30 of these floating around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread