Hillbilly River Hunt.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Folks. I went to an island park in the middle of the Rock River in Rock Falls, Illinois. Lawrence Park is the name and is old and has lots of history. I was finding plenty of clad pennies and crusty Zincolns along with lead sinkers. I found a weird nickel size "coin" looking target that is crusty as all heck. Funny thing is it registered around 65 on my Makro Racer 2 VDI numbers. No detail at all and I am not sure if it's a coin or what? Found the city dump at the base of the bridge and eyeballed a little green glass bottle and plenty of other trash. I went over to the other side of the river bank and scored a 1904 Dr. Pepper Silver Medal Watch Fob from the 1904 Worlds Fair. It's crusty as heck from being submerged for over 100 years I reckon. These are pretty rare I hear and go for good money on E-bay. Oh well, had a blast. It was hot today and I went hillbilly shirtless in my camo shorts and TEVA sandals.:sunny: YEE HAW! Ya'll come back now, ya' hear? Kurios1

003.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 007.JPG 013.JPG 017.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG 022.JPG 023.JPG

Upvote 27

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool stuff and some of the right stuff to go back. Illinois seems to be a Hot spot for river hunting.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of targets....and some nice keepers mixed in...sounds like a good time was had.:thumbsup:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yahoooo! Sounds like Jethro went a' huntin in the ceeeement pond!! Gawlee granny look whut I done dug up! Sorry Kurios, lol..couldn't help myself...I mean, c'mon, camo shorts!? Honestly it sounds like a great time, I haven't been in the water for a while and now the temps are dropping. I'm diggin' the watch fob and the seashell peace sign...Peace out Girl Scout! Ddf

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yahoooo! Sounds like Jethro went a' huntin in the ceeeement pond!! Gawlee granny look whut I done dug up! Sorry Kurios, lol..couldn't help myself...I mean, c'mon, camo shorts!? Honestly it sounds like a great time, I haven't been in the water for a while and now the temps are dropping. I'm diggin' the watch fob and the seashell peace sign...Peace out Girl Scout! Ddf

LOL! I have an entire wardrobe of camo hunting clothing. Hats, T-shirts, Button up shirts, pants, shorts, etc. I love camo. I noticed some "hippies" must have cleaned up some clam shells and designed the Peace sign on that huge rock. I couldn't pass up a good photo op!;D

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Neat finds, and very nice photos. If that location isn't too far of a drive for you, you probably should spend some more time there. The previous visitors didn't know what to look for, but you did. Any lettering on the green bottle? Looks interesting.
The little bell is a nice find. You got the lead out, that's for sure. The Dr. Pepper fob is quite a prize, and it looks like it is cleaning up well to be a water find. I guess it is brass? All in all, a great hunt, and thanks for sharing.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool digs, I like the Dr. Pepper fob!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a Pepper.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool fob, and I see a nice bell in the assortment as well. Very nicely done on the water hunt.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like the watch fobs... and that one is double sided. Very nice find.

If you have never been to the Carolinas, you ought to visit. We hardly ever wear shirts and all our stuff is camo too!

Best of luck to you sir!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool fob find! Nice piece of history. Those mystery "coins" drive me crazy. Most likely a token or foreign coin. In W PA I'm wearing bright reds and orange starting this weekend. Don't want to be mistaken for a deer... Congrats!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool fob find! Nice piece of history. Those mystery "coins" drive me crazy. Most likely a token or foreign coin. In W PA I'm wearing bright reds and orange starting this weekend. Don't want to be mistaken for a deer... Congrats!

That's right. Hunting season is upon us. Might be a good idea to give a heads up in the General Discussion section about being safe out there while hunting metal during hunting season.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds, and very nice photos. If that location isn't too far of a drive for you, you probably should spend some more time there. The previous visitors didn't know what to look for, but you did. Any lettering on the green bottle? Looks interesting.
The little bell is a nice find. You got the lead out, that's for sure. The Dr. Pepper fob is quite a prize, and it looks like it is cleaning up well to be a water find. I guess it is brass? All in all, a great hunt, and thanks for sharing.

001.JPG

Mr. Wagbert sir. Thanks for posting. I took a picture of the bottom of the green glass bottle. It has what appears to be the letter "O" on top of a horizontal diamond and the numbers 3 1 3 under it I believe. No idea how to ID bottles. I might stick the image in What Is It and see if any bottle collectors know what it is. The two bells are modern fishing alert bells. I was hoping for a cool old one but, just some newer ones. When I first dug the watch fob I thought is was something more modern than it turned out to be. It is brass with silver or nickel plating. I am thinking silver. I saw one listed on E-bay staring the bids at $175.00 bucks! Must be a collectable item. Thanks again for chiming in and your encouragement and support.:icon_salut:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice hunt. Congrats. I would give that unknown coin an electrolosis bath and check it frequently.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread