Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The last three and a half weeks were pretty miserable. Started off with lower back killing me and then it went into sciatica that was even worse. So only a short hunt with grandson for worms. Then it was off to chiropractor, then a full body massage, neither helped and then to doctors for pills. Finally got to feeling somewhat better and then yesterday, a totally wasted day. Rode VA van for over three hours one way to VA hospital only to find out that my appointment had been cancelled. Then the customary wait all day before heading back three hours. But this morning I actually felt pretty and so I headed for my permission to get a couple of hours in. I hunted hard in this trashy area to only find one memorial. I finally managed two 44 cal round balls as I worked my way back to the truck. About 20 yards from truck, I found a dime and then 3 or 4 memorials. The ground was jack hammer hard and I had another "memorial" signal which I almost didn't dig for being so hot and tired. But I did and almost quit again because the digging was more like clawing and scraping. THEN I saw the thin glint of silver and immediately knew what it was, My first barber dime, 1911 D mint:headbang: then a foot or less from there, a wheatie no date. Then the Oklahoma token and Garrett token before I got back to the truck. Not sure what the Garrett token is about, I guess the Oklahoma one is some sort of tax token. So, I was pretty stoked and headed to the Sonic to get a cold drink and on the way out spotted a set of car keys off the side of the highway. So I pulled over, picked them up, had a chevy key, jeep key and a ford key plus a remote. They had been run over a time or two but still in great shape so I had my wife to post them on Facebook. I was planning on using the radio and local paper to see if I could locate the owners. Thirty minutes ago, a woman contacted us, almost in tears as she said how they had been everywhere trying to find them only to see our post on Facebook. So, Keys have found their owner and all are happy. So, today really made up for not being able to do anything all that time. I have been telling my wife that there had to be a barber of some sort in this permission and I finally found one. :coffee2:

Attachments

• 2772.jpeg
    2772.jpeg
    590.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 2771.jpeg
    2771.jpeg
    692.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 2769.jpeg
    2769.jpeg
    827 KB · Views: 120
  • 2794.jpeg
    2794.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 94
  • 2791.jpeg
    2791.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 2770.jpeg
    2770.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 2765[1].jpeg
    2765[1].jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 40
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first Barber coin, but you'll dig more of those. The Garrett token is really cool though. The first thing that struck me was the value of 12 1/2 cents - the same value as a "bit" cut from a Spanish 8 reale.

it is always finding the first one of anything, kind of takes the "gotta find one just to find one" and breaks the ice. I hadn't thought about the Spanish 8 reale angle, pretty cool thought

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you are back up to getting around after your medical ordeal. Great coin finds and even better key return. I wonder how FB worked to promote key find...Must have been a friend or a friend of a friend etc..Nice work! I am sure she was thrilled!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Idahotokens John, I did a little electrolysis and then cleaned, oiled and then lightly went over all raised letters ect with a graphite or lead pencil. it is either an O or a Q. on the back, in the bigger letters in a circle, it says St Louis across bottom, upper portion in circle says AUG. KEANBSCO (the best that I can tell). in the center of the token, it has 11*(star)M with below that I think, 83 W*Y .. there is a star above and below center writing. I hope this helps you.

Hey dirtlooter - the guys at tokencatalog pointed out that it probably says KY. LIQ. HOUSE as in Kentucky Liquor House. That makes sense to me - there were a lot of saloons around that were named like that - their best selling liquors were Kentucky whiskies. That gives another path to search.
John

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey dirtlooter - the guys at tokencatalog pointed out that it probably says KY. LIQ. HOUSE as in Kentucky Liquor House. That makes sense to me - there were a lot of saloons around that were named like that - their best selling liquors were Kentucky whiskies. That gives another path to search.
John

Now that makes more sense, I had told you that it was either an O or a Q. Thanks again. I looked at my other tokens and I didn't find any that I would call unique. that also makes more sense with the 12 1/2 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread