Tick, Tick Tick BOOM? Bomb, Boot Knife and propeller found today.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Got out to Poor Man's Beach today to get my normal fix of bullets and shell casings. Also a few coins. An interesting find is what is left of a single blade knife with the handle shaped like a boot.

However my best find is another WW1 bomb from 1916 0r 1917. The good news is I brought up part of it. The bad news is it is so deep bringing up the rest of it might be too much of a challenge. I got a bell tone and started digging, and digging and digging. After I got through the sand I was digging in the clay. I could feel the fins so I knew I had a bomb. I dug down over two foot and was able to pull up the fin assembly. The rest of the bomb is still there and I marked it with my GPS. I will have to dig in the clay 3 more feet to get it out but I am sure it will be in wonderful shape. It went straight down and it is unbelievable how deep it is. No idea if I will ever be able to dig it out with a shovel but I am going to try. It is in 6' of water. I spent a lot of air trying to dig the whole thing out. It is going to be a chore.

Boot knife is unique and so is the little brass propeller. I probably should have searched for more gold instead of playing with a bomb but I enjoy finding those things. This is the deepest one I have ever come across.

I went to start my boat and the bendix drive on the starter would not engage. Had to be towed in by Towboat US. Haven't had a problem like that in years. Glad I have insurance.

This is what the whole thing looks like. 39" long. These were close to the top. This one buried in clay should be in fantastic shape. I pulled most the fins out of the clay and didn't get to dig much further. I did dig down further to verify the rest of the bomb was there. Wish I had a backhoe mounted on my boat!

Upvote 18

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are an amazing guy. I pride myself as being "crazy" but, I ain't got nothing on you mate.:icon_salut: Always interesting to see what you dredge up. Not much cooler than digging BOMBS!:headbang: Hope the boat gets healed soon.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You are an amazing guy. I pride myself as being "crazy" but, I ain't got nothing on you mate.:icon_salut: Always interesting to see what you dredge up. Not much cooler than digging BOMBS!:headbang: Hope the boat gets healed soon.:icon_thumright:

Thanks, I was very excited when I came across the first one. now they are just another toy to add to my collection. These things are at a beach. Folks have been stepping on them for years. This one is straight down in the clay. I sure hope it is another practice bomb, which I am sure it is.

Hopefully my boat will be repaired tomorrow and I will be able to find it with my GPS again. Then take a shovel and a few tanks of air to get this critter out and home. There are actually two sidewinder missiles out in this lake I was told. I already brought up a drop tank for a P-51 Mustang. What else is hiding out here. I am hoping a Lewis or Thompson machine gun that fell off a plane. I can dream right?

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The boot knife looks like it is also a bottle opener?

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice finds. The boot knife looks like it is also a bottle opener?

Very well could be. Never thought of it but I can see that happening. Thanks

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ahh the bombs, you are reminding me of Okinawa and the bomb squad daily going out to recover another found device or bomb. pretty cool!

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Ahh the bombs, you are reminding me of Okinawa and the bomb squad daily going out to recover another found device or bomb. pretty cool!

I was there from the late 1970's - 1980. I found a lot of interesting things while diving. From mortars, to torpedo's to depth charges and everything inbetween. Grenades, tons and tons of unfired bullets and huge unexploded naval shells.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THIS IS CRAZY AS THE FINDS..

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem with digging op bombs and bringing them home is that someone sees them and calls the bomb squad, true story.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The problem with digging op bombs and bringing them home is that someone sees them and calls the bomb squad, true story.

LOL google Port Huron Bomb. That was me. True story

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread