Found Snake Plissken's Ring.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. Spent the weekend river hunting in various sights along the Rock River in northern Illinois. I hooked up with my treasure hunting buddy Kurt today and we hit a stretch of river outside of Byron, IL. Lot's of mature Maple trees along this section and plenty of nasty roots exposed. I took my tiny Snake coil and probed around in these roots and got a solid signal. I dug out Snake Plissken's ring! She's a bit tarnished & bent but, she's a Treasure Hunter's DREAM!:blackbeard::skullflag: I got a few more memorial pennies and not much else. Wound up at yet another local trash heap on the river bank and rooted through there for a bit. Over all had a fun weekend even though no old coinage dug. If Snake Plissken happens to read this post and wants his ring back well, tough caca PLISSKEN! You try taking my ring and I'll pluck out your other eye!:icon_pirat: Have a great week all you poor suckers that still have to work for a living, like me. Kurios1

Byron River Hunt with Kurt 005.JPG Byron River Hunt with Kurt 002.JPG Byron River Hunt with Kurt 003.JPG Byron River Hunt with Kurt 006.JPG Byron River Hunt with Kurt 007.JPG Byron River Hunt with Kurt 008.JPG Byron River Hunt with Kurt 009.JPG Byron River Hunt with Kurt 011.JPG Byron River Hunt with Kurt 012.JPG Byron River Hunt with Kurt 013.JPG 004.JPG 003.JPG 002.JPG 001.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 27

tav396

Nov 1, 2010
western pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-- Minelab e-trac Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought he was dead. great job!!!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Kurious. I like that ring and also the older door knob and plate. Looks like you may also have a model A or T crank in there also.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Escape from Illinois? I don't know if there is enough money in that title for Hollywood to bring Snake back, but.....you may not want to tempt fate. Cool finds. Looks like a good weekend. Congrats

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out, it looks like that praying mantis has taken a liking to your ring! :laughing7:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save Kurios, that is a very interesting ring, no doubt...I'd like to know if anyone here could put a date/i.d. to it...congrats on getting out...Ddf

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Kurious. I like that ring and also the older door knob and plate. Looks like you may also have a model A or T crank in there also.

My buddy found that rooting through the iron trash on the river bank. It is a crank for some type of motorized contraption for sure. It has a "triangular" shaped hole that would slide onto the vehicle or tractor. It will be a candidate for the electrolysis tank. Need a bit more research to ID it for certain.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save Kurios, that is a very interesting ring, no doubt...I'd like to know if anyone here could put a date/i.d. to it...congrats on getting out...Ddf

Ya' know, I was so cheesed just to dig this goofy looking two headed snake ring with the honking "mood" ring looking stone I never thought about how old it might be or who may have made it? I believe it was originally silver plated but, over 90% of that has been washed off. I may put it in the What Is It section with a few more pictures and angles to see if any old timers might recognize it. I have to admit I love the ring as it fits the treasure hunter aka pirate theme just about perfect. I actually had to show it off at work today along with who lost it and what would happen if he comes looking for it.:laughing7:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya' know, I was so cheesed just to dig this goofy looking two headed snake ring with the honking "mood" ring looking stone I never thought about how old it might be or who may have made it? I believe it was originally silver plated but, over 90% of that has been washed off. I may put it in the What Is It section with a few more pictures and angles to see if any old timers might recognize it. I have to admit I love the ring as it fits the treasure hunter aka pirate theme just about perfect. I actually had to show it off at work today along with who lost it and what would happen if he comes looking for it.:laughing7:

I truly feel that whoever owned it is long gone or at least way up there in age...I believe it's older than we both realize...if you haven't already posted it in the "whatsit" forum, do it as I'm sure there's an eagle-eyed member who could put a date on it, heck they could probably name the maker...it certainly caught my eye, I'm REALLY into old, ornate jewelry and old silver trinkets with a lot of hand-made designs. Thx..Ddf

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the ring is still pretty cool in it's own right, it may not have an expensive ring but somebody liked it. something from the 60's?

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the ring is still pretty cool in it's own right, it may not have an expensive ring but somebody liked it. something from the 60's?

Hey DL. I just snapped a few new pictures and posted the snake ring in the What Is It section to try and get an idea how old and who may have made it. I would think 60's might be about right. Maybe 70's. It's gaudy and weird but, I love it all the more because it is so bizarre!:tongue3::laughing7:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey DL. I just snapped a few new pictures and posted the snake ring in the What Is It section to try and get an idea how old and who may have made it. I would think 60's might be about right. Maybe 70's. It's gaudy and weird but, I love it all the more because it is so bizarre!:tongue3::laughing7:

I was just thinking of how it would fit in the mindset back then, not that I was there or remember anything from then, LOL okay, I do remember some of it

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am not sure whose ring you think you found, but it truly is an interesting one! More creepy that it was found in/near the water. It reminds me of the mood rings but the stone is more fragmented than I would have thought it should be. Also, is it set to touch the skin or is it raised up a bit? It may be an older ring. Neat find anyways.
Thanks for sharing.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's enough ring for a couple of fingers. Cool iron heart.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Perfect for a treasure hunter! It would go perfect with the Blackbeard outfit that I metal detect in :laughing7: Not sure if better to replate, or leaving it looks cool and raw like it is now. The broken stone and awesome gritty design goes great with the cool tarnish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread