"New" skeleton key and an old key fob

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
In the woods near a site with the oldest history I have ever hunted I find this key.
Gotta be modern, I assume, it looks nothing like the other skeleton keys I have found which are all rusted so odd but cool.

In a lawn I have been hunting all summer there aren't many good signals left at all but I still hit it here and there hoping for just one more good target.
The other day I got one, a key fob from the Paul Revere Insurance company that started in 1930 and is still around.
Many on fleabay, from what I can gather the earlier ones below one million on the ID numbers say, "If injured or unable to identify me telegraph this number to the Paul Revere life insurance company".
Numbers over a million they changed to just notify the company like mine.
I am guessing mine is from the mid 30's to the 40's or so....but I really don't know for sure.

Another thing is they seemed to have been made from different metals over the decades.
Some were aluminum, many appeared to be made from bronze or brass, mine is actually some sort of white metal, (but not aluminum), under that dark color that I think may be nickel...could be pewter.
Mine is worn so probably carried around for a long time, a better bronze non-dug example with more details also shown below.
I may have more detail but I need to clean it much better to find out.

This is a bit bigger than a quarter at 28mm's, comes in at a 41 on my Fisher which is higher than my regular lower 30's nickel number but it is bigger than a nickel too.
Also it is really dark and hard to clean exactly like the old nickels I find around here.
One day I will get some nickel testing solution and find out for sure.
Another odd but neat find and way better than junk.

Been a long hot dry summer around here so hunting has slowed down and still in the high 80's but soon enough our cooler and wetter fall season will begin and I hope to find more cool stuff before the end of the year and then into next year.

Attachments

• photostudio_1505651970208.jpg
    photostudio_1505651970208.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 77
  • photostudio_1505669662277.jpg
    photostudio_1505669662277.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 67
  • photostudio_1505669711456.jpg
    photostudio_1505669711456.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 63
  • photostudio_1505735495571.jpg
    photostudio_1505735495571.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 16

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonder what would happen if you called them with that number? Seriously cool fob.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool indeed!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love watch fobs. This one is very very cool indeed. Way to go!

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
This is more of a key fob, too small to be a watch fob although some on fleabay are trying to say they are.

Found at a house that goes back to the mid 20's, most of the targets I have found there seem to be from around the 40's or so.
Probably someone that lived in that house long ago owned this thing, if they were 30 years old in 1945 they would be over 100 years old today so I bet they are long gone now but I might contact the company and see if they can track down the name of the policy owner one day.
That would be a nice thing to attach to this cool piece of history.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess through the years the terminology has changed, I notice that every key of that sort is referred to as a Skeleton key. I remember that when I was young we had the type locks in the LINK on all our interior doors and they had keys that when inserted would stop at the proper place by the COLLAR on the key just after the coded tab.
Nostalgic Warehouse Mortise LockboxI could unlock all of them with my skeleton key because it didn't have a collar plus it was way skinnier than the regular mortised lock key. I no longer have that key.
I guess now any key that shape is refereed to as a skeleton key. At least that's what I now call them now.
Hope you don't mind the history lesson.
Marvin

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread