The find is AMAZING, but the story is even better!!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
So I and my wife (such a good sport) decided to hit a swim beach that did real well for me last year with 4 or 5 rings, one of which was a gold dolphin ring with sapphires and a couple silver rings (previous post). Anyhow when we arrived to the location there was one other family that had just showed up also. A husband and wife with their early teenage son. Now for a little background.....This swim area is a little unique in that the park is on a pretty good grade. The grass gives way to a small sand beach area if you will that runs into the seawall. Now this seawall runs the entire distance of the swim area and has a small stainless ladder right in the middle to access the water. There is a dock that goes completely around the swim area as well. When you step off the ladder you are immediately in about 2 feet of water. The seawall is about five feet tall. Ok, back to the story.... So my wife grabs the AT Pro and confidently begins searching the little beach area and I climb down the ladder into the water with the Excal II. Now I know that many of you are like me in that we spend so much time in the water that we understand it is a good thing to keep an eye on our surroundings and especially the people swimming near us since it is probably just a matter of time before we encounter somebody having a problem. Well as I headed out to about neck deep water on the right side (where I always tend to start my grid), I passed the other family's son splashing around having a good time in about 3 feet of water and gave him a nod and a smile. So I start swinging and get my first signal. Just as I looked in my scoop to notice a penny in there (my back is toward shore at this moment) I hear a loud splash behind me. I turned around and saw that young boy laying face down in the water....&$_#%$!!!!! The splash I heard came from his dad leaping off the seawall. I immediately started running to the boy. The dad and I got to him at the same time. Dad grabbed him around the chest and ripped him up out of the water. The boy looked completely lifeless. Uggh! I grabbed the boys legs and the dad and I carried him to the seawall and lifted him up and over the wall to his anxiously awaiting mother. The dad told me while we were carrying him that he was having a seizure, but has never had one in the water before. So back on shore, mom and dad turn him side ways and began to take care of him. The boy began coughing up water and then foam, etc. I stood by until they were sure he would be ok. The dad kept thanking me and I finally told him that if he wouldn't have made that splash, I would not have known! So after about 15 minutes the young lad (13-14 yrs I suppose) began to come to from his seizure yet very tired and groggy. After a little more chit chat I headed back out to hunt. So as I start swinging and move about 15 -20 feet I get a signal from the Excal that I have never heard before.....vearooooom..........vearooooom. The absolute perfect mid tone. I moved 90 degrees to the object, same perfect tone. No chirps, no scratches, nothing but vearooooom. Lol. So I thought to myself that this absolutely has to be a gold ring or a platinum. So on the first scoop, I got it. Wow! I couldn't believe what I saw in the bottom of my scoop. Now, even though this was the very first target after getting that boy back to shore, I don't believe in karma much it's a little too hocus pocus for me. Rather, maybe God just gave me a little attaboy. Anyhow, take care and happy hunting!
Oh by the way, I did find a sterling earring and the usual clad in addition...

Just under 9 grams 14k, 17 diamonds and 4 rubies.
IMG_20170919_115002.jpg IMG_20170919_114858.jpg

Upvote 64

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice find.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Save!!!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you were nearby to help.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer piece! Congrats.

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Finding that beautiful gold scorpion sure took the "sting" out of that medical emergency. Good Show, Sir, I do say Good Show! (Took a while to settle down that adrenaline rush, aye?) Sub 8-)

Yeah, you are right. It did take a while to settle down. I'm just thankful I had something so therapeutic to do right after.

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks so much for all the kind comments! It was certainly a day that I will not soon forget. I am actually surprised it is the first time in 3 years that I was in a position to really help someone like this. And on another note, this beautiful scorpion sure did get this pirate excited...at the moment that I found it, it about brought tears to my eyes. But after a bit of settling down I was like "oh yeah baby, that is some serious pirate booty". I am very thankful on all accounts.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy ending and well deserved find.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one day to remember! Finding a fast exit from the water and life for the boy beats even the nice Scorpion pendant. It reminds me that everything is temporary...possessions, perfect health, life......Enjoy each as it comes along!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AH BEEEEEEEEEEE GOD$$$$$$$ DARN NICE FIND.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one day to remember! Finding a fast exit from the water and life for the boy beats even the nice Scorpion pendant. It reminds me that everything is temporary...possessions, perfect health, life......Enjoy each as it comes along!

Exactly, well said.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call it what you will but, I believe we all have choices each and every day and opportunities presented which we encounter. You being in the exact proximity of that young man was no coincidence to me. You chose to engage without hesitation and did the right thing. Fortunately the outcome was a recovered young man and some very relieved parents. The next target you recovered was an out of this world pendant. Luck? I don't think so. Well played and you are an asset to this fine community of humanity as well as treasure hunters. :icon_salut:

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Call it what you will but, I believe we all have choices each and every day and opportunities presented which we encounter. You being in the exact proximity of that young man was no coincidence to me. You chose to engage without hesitation and did the right thing. Fortunately the outcome was a recovered young man and some very relieved parents. The next target you recovered was an out of this world pendant. Luck? I don't think so. Well played and you are an asset to this fine community of humanity as well as treasure hunters. :icon_salut:

Wow, thank you. That is a very humbling comment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread