South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couple handfuls from lunch Hunts this week. First the rant. These are becoming my "pulltab" of the old farm woods. (As I have decided to disc. most shotgun shell ends...) ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506022930.024224.jpg These are harmonica reeds. Ring pretty high and distinct on my detector. The old farmers must of loved their harmonicas as they are all over W PA.
Here is the handful of keepers. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506023147.407908.jpg Still trying to get an ID on the sunflower brass thingy.

Good luck out there!

Upvote 23

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Ohhh, shotgun shells. Every time I find one it sounds like a gold ring. There are a LOT more shells than rings, but I really like digging up gold so I dig every one of them.

That bell kicks arse! Grats to ya and thanks for posting.

Jaysix

Dec 14, 2016
Portage, pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac (current)
Garrett At Pro (previous)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome crotal bell!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sunflower is cool. What's the back look like? Is that Crotal complete? I'm also curious about the piece at the tip of your fingers. Can you can provide more pictures of it?

My bucket for scrap brass has lots of those harmonica reed pieces.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The sunflower looks like it could function as a bed-bolt cover, but I would think it would have a smaller screw hole instead of the triangles. Just a thought.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sunflower is cool. What's the back look like? Is that Crotal complete? I'm also curious about the piece at the tip of your fingers. Can you can provide more pictures of it?

My bucket for scrap brass has lots of those harmonica reed pieces.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506025518.468266.jpg Sunflower seems to be stamped brass. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506025574.854456.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506025589.069518.jpg This is a flatware handle, unique designs. And the round stamped brass thingy, no idea. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506025720.598268.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506025729.247781.jpg
Crotal is 75%, the attachment point is missing, going back tomorrow to rescan the hole.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird design on the flatware handle.

This piece is most likely off the top of a lamp. Similar pieces can still be found on lamps today.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
love that bell, it is one of the biggest that I have seen

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the pain of shotgun shells, but if you discriminate them you miss allot of good stuff like buttons and such.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the pain of shotgun shells, but if you discriminate them you miss allot of good stuff like buttons and such.

If I'm in a hot spot, pulling relics and coins, I'll dig these mid tones, yes occasionally a flat button or old nickel. If I'm hiking and swinging, I pass on these signals recently.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm in a hot spot, pulling relics and coins, I'll dig these mid tones, yes occasionally a flat button or old nickel. If I'm hiking and swinging, I pass on these signals recently.
How do you sleep at night? I'm always so paranoid that ill miss something haha.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DAMN BELL IS STUNNING ,NICE FINDS

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you sleep at night? I'm always so paranoid that ill miss something haha.

I've probably dug 500 old shotgun shell ends this year, so I reached my quota for the year already... Actually flat buttons on my detector ring mid but bounce into zincoln range. Actual nickels, buffs, shield, 3 cent, 2 cent coins ring mid, but are steady. Shotgun shell ends bounce in the mid range and usually are ringing shallow. But shotgun slugs ring up like a silver dime, can't win...

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the bell! Congrats!

I am with you on shotgun shells. I have been digging a ton this year. I do enjoy researching them to give me a rough date on when people were out there shooting, but that's about it. Unfortunately, they ring up in the 62-66 range on my ATP in the woods I hunt and in my experience, all the "neat and curious finds" are in the 60s, so they all get dug. They don't give any hint as to what they are when they ring up but I've come to let out a sigh and grumble as I say to myself kneeling down, "another shotgun shell". I'm waiting for something nice to pop out instead of another Nitro.

And not to steal your post, but related; I found the largest harmonica reed I have ever encountered last month. It's HUGE! How big was this harmonica? Unfortunately, I dropped it and broke it but that's an average sized ax head and horse shoe next to it. Crazy.

Happy hunting to you!

082617b.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing i like about digging the what we call Ga.buttons (shotgun brass) is in knowing the place is not hunted out. How can a good digger pass on that tone. I would enjoy just one just digging an old bell but my area is not known for them.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing i like about digging the what we call Ga.buttons (shotgun brass) is in knowing the place is not hunted out. How can a good digger pass on that tone. I would enjoy just one just digging an old bell but my area is not known for them.

For some strange reason 95% of the old shotgun shell ends, maybe in the dirt for 50+ years, are very shallow, like 2" or less. So they are easy to dig and this summer was so wet you could uncover most with your boot. Crotal bells are heavy brass and ring up really sweet and high. They are usually deep (6+ inches) in my area, this is my 5th one this year. I love the designs and patina, one of my favorite lost farm finds.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful relics! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions