paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only two hours of hunting this morning and I only found two coins, but as luck would have it one was my very first (1908-D) barber half dollar!

DSC03175.JPG DSC03176.JPG

It's in great shape and I didn't nick it with the shovel so you can't really ask for more. There were a good number of other relics from this morning too.

DSC03177.JPG DSC03178.JPG DSC03179.JPG DSC03180.JPG DSC03181.JPG

Pretty standard late 1800's to early 1900's fare. Most of a pocket watch, clock plate, crotal bell, pump organ reed, and lamp wick holder. The name tag is interesting: it says "Manufactured By the Willys Overland Co. Toledo, Ohio, USA." I guess this was off one of their earlier model cars (1910-1920 maybe?) and later on this company was involved in the design and construction of the WWII jeep.

The last piece is a bit of a mystery, but it's stamped "Pat Aug 23 1877" so that might be enough to figure out what it was used for. There's plenty more to this yard though and I'm really hoping there's some seated coinage deeper down once I finish clearing all of the surface trash!

Upvote 24

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEAUTIFUL COIN!!! Ive yet to dig one of those, and when I do...I hope it half that nice! Congrats, Ddf

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Barber and some other very nice finds...I'd say you had one great hunt..Congrats !!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling your first Barber Half. :occasion14: The unknown piece is a picture hanger when houses had rails to hang things from instead of putting nails into the plaster.

picture_rail_diagram.jpg

Last edited:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That barber is so nice. Really nice finds! Congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The unknown piece is a picture hanger when houses had rails to hang things from instead of putting nails into the plaster.

Thank you so much! I'm sure I'll be unearthing more of those then. :laughing7:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Barber Half, and a great looking one at that.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Once I finish clearing all of the surface trash!" There's a mouthful right there! "One persons trash is another person's treasure!"

That's a great hunt you had, best of luck on the return and I hope that the Seated are lurking under these trashy finds.:)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a really nice looking coin. Congrats bud

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BIG Congrats on your first Barber half- nothing like seeing that huge hunk of silver coming out of the ground! Hope it's the first of may for you..

-- Jeff --

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the half! I have only found one myself and of course i nicked it with my knife.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds!
HH
dts

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a good day of play. Congratulations on your first Barber half and the historical pieces!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a good day of play. Congratulations on your first Barber half and the historical pieces!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Once I finish clearing all of the surface trash!" There's a mouthful right there! "One persons trash is another person's treasure!"

:laughing7: No, these are the good finds, but not pictured is the 15 pounds or so of aluminum and iron bits I dug out too. It seems the backyard was an impromptu trash pit and they eventually covered it with 4 inches of fill, but all of these older finds were just barely squeaking through the trash layer and the barber half was off to the side where the trash was thinner. Despite being a big, round piece of silver it was still a super weird signal bouncing from 74-99 because of the interference. But I figure once I clear most of the larger pieces I'll start getting more of the older relics and I'm really hoping that means even older silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions