SILVER Button dated 1795...1805 LC...1790 1-real. BUTTON HELP!! Early "Free Masons"??

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    546.8 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    567.8 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    519.9 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 29

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SILVER Button dated 1795...1805 LC...1790 1-real. BUTTON HELP!! Early "Free M...

The button looks to be inscribed with the Greek letters phi delta sigma.

Edit -- Correction: the second letter looks to be lambda.

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
A banner find in my opinion! Probably the first silver button I have ever seen posted, with a date and writing none the less! Any button personal like that would make my year, and the silver makes it hold up great underground! My first thought was that it says, "DAN", which is my first name lol. I can now see that the last letter doesn't look like an "N", more like an "M", neither does the "A" look like an "A". I think that Jude061's theory on what the inscription is sound like it may be on the right track, maybe it also could have been initials inscribed to look like Greek characters. The button was also maybe made out of a silver coin.

Congrats!

Last edited:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woah, that thing is beautiful. Seeing that hand inscribed date on silver gave me chills.

No deep analysis here from me...the easiest guess is that the Greek letters were used as a phonetic substitute for the initials of the owner (F.L.S.). Would love to see this turn into something bigger though!

You guys are on some serious early post colonial ground. Happy for ya, and keep em coming.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer find, congratulations! :occasion14:

I believe the letters on the silver are the Greek letters: Phi, Lambda and Sigma.

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely Greek lettering and you're correct, the middle letter is Lambda. I can tell you it's not a college fraternity button, although it only missed that by a few decades if you can believe it.

The first fraternities were found between 1825-1827 at Union College in New York as scholastic clubs, but were structured in similar ways to secret societies. They also borrowed many of their ideas from the Freemasons including the use of Greek lettering as an identification.

My thought would be that the button would have been used to identify someone as an inducted member of a specific Freemason chapter and the year, 1795, may have been their initiation year. There's a very similar practice (many fraternities still use) that was inspired by that very ritual.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of the coolest buttons I have ever seen-my banner vote is in. It may have been made from a silver coin-possibly a half real; I found one of those last year.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa that button is incredible!!!! I love the look of old hand etched silver. Never seen anything quite like it. Unique and gorgeous. I'd give up 200 of my Large cents for that thing in a heartbeat. Tell your friend congrats. If he posted it I'd give it a BANNER vote in a second

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is a treasure hunter's DREAM!!!:o:love10::occasion18: I believe coinman123 may be correct that an old silver coin may have been sacrificed in it's creation. It must have been a very significant person to receive such a special button. Some secret society initiation date perhaps. OH, the stories this one could tell...BANNER!:headbang:

Last edited:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dream find for sure.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa that button is incredible!!!! I love the look of old hand etched silver. Never seen anything quite like it. Unique and gorgeous. I'd give up 200 of my Large cents for that thing in a heartbeat. Tell your friend congrats. If he posted it I'd give it a BANNER vote in a second

You have 200+ large cents?!? :sad11:

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice LC! But that BUTTON!!!
Holy cow!! BANNER find for sure !! Just awesome!!

Congrats and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread