Spectacles with Lens from 1600s Site

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not sure the age of these spectacles since I question the possibility of them dating to the early 1600s like the site that they were located on. I found them about 10 steps in on the edge of my contact era fur trade Native American site in the finger lakes region. To my knowledge there is no colonial or later site nearby for at least 500 yards. I decided to turn on the Deus and start about 50 yards earlier rather than wait till I got to the top of the hill like usual. As I was digging my first signal I noticed some glass shards at about 5 inches and I figured "great more junk for me to pick up and work around". Soon I found an intact optical lens which I didn't realize at the time and at first thought that it was just a piece of odd glass with the corners mitered. I wonder if it is optical quartz not glass because there are no scratches. Then after moving some of the loose dirt I found the spectacles sitting in the hole just as if they were placed there. I took them out shocked and placed them back without cleaning for the in-situ. The root kept the digging tool from destroying them thankfully. What I wonder is the age and metal composition. They feel weighty for their size and read 36 to 50 on the Deus. I'm not 100% sure what they read in the ground because I dig every signal without paying attention but I vaguely remember them being in the 30's which to me says gold. For being in the ground there is no tarnish or flaking of plated metal of any type and there are no makers mark to speak of. Could that mean that they are just pretty early, possibly before the standards of stamping precious metals for the country of origin? The other typical for the site items I found were pottery shards, a nice late woodland point and and iron whatsit in addition to what I'm told is a ramrod guide for an early musket. If so I am surprised because that site is early for Native Americans to have firearms (so I read) but it does make me think that those 50 cal musket balls I found a couple weeks back are period to the site. Check out the difference in color between the spectacles and brass ramrod tube from the same site. Take note of the picture with the Deus air test on the spectacles at about 2-3 inches.

thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (4).jpg thumbnail (5).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail (3).jpg thumbnail (6).jpg

Upvote 29

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
dude that is sweet :weee:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SWEET FINDS FOR THE EYE>

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the fantastic find! :occasion14:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Check for the other lens next time! Awesome find! How old would you say those spectacles are?

OP
OP
W

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coinman

Unfortunately the other lens was found fragmented in the hole. Hopefully not by me...

I have been doing some research since posting and it seems like they may range from 1820s to 1880s which is odd based on the location of the site. All of my finds on this site are early 1600s, now I have a mid 1800s find, one random dog tax tag probably lost while bird hunting in 1917 and a dime from 1986. A lot of range but only 3 items here didn't fall in the early 1600s timeframe.

Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that was a huge loss. Thumbs up on recovering them nearly intact.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now THAT'S some eye candy!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinman

Unfortunately the other lens was found fragmented in the hole. Hopefully not by me...

I have been doing some research since posting and it seems like they may range from 1820s to 1880s which is odd based on the location of the site. All of my finds on this site are early 1600s, now I have a mid 1800s find, one random dog tax tag probably lost while bird hunting in 1917 and a dime from 1986. A lot of range but only 3 items here didn't fall in the early 1600s timeframe.
I agree, late 19th C.
This is another case of date & ID the object first then make conclusions.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
W

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusader

Lol yeah the relative dating method did not work in this case.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader

Lol yeah the relative dating method did not work in this case.
Its nice to get it so complete, I've only seen these in a collection of a friend who I did some work for.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go back and sift the dirt in the area surrounding the place you found the glasses and recover all of the pieces of glass.
It would look pretty cool with most all of the pieces super glued back together in the frame.

I think glasses were fairly valuable in the older days. I have found pieces of a pair associated with a buried cache.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's awesome!! Great recovery!! Congrats and HH

OP
OP
W

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go back and sift the dirt in the area surrounding the place you found the glasses and recover all of the pieces of glass.
It would look pretty cool with most all of the pieces super glued back together in the frame.

I think glasses were fairly valuable in the older days. I have found pieces of a pair associated with a buried cache.

I agree and was thinking about finding the pieces. It is interesting that you say that about a cache because when I showed them to a local historian he told me that a young girl (decades ago) found a box/chest full of 1700s coins several hundred yards away near some digging being done by some over houses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread