Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't silver or gold but it's certainly been entertaining to unearth. A couple weeks ago my hunting buddy found the large piece and I thought that was pretty cool but I returned this morning and found 4 more pieces which include 3 weights and the weight hanger. I hit the '100' weight with a wire cup brush on a drill and it shined up pretty nice with not much effort. I like how the weights are drilled out on the back side to get the weight just right. The '500' weight has a billion holes in it. Has anyone here dug up an entire platform scale? :icon_scratch: It would be pretty neat to find the rest of it but it was probably repurposed.

Thanks for looking

scale 3.jpg scale 2.jpg scale 1.jpg
scale 7.jpg scale 6.jpg scale 4.jpg scale 5.jpg

Upvote 22
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find, thanks for sharing! :occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug those weights before but, never any of the scale itself. Pretty cool finds. I always cherish my recovered brass pieces with the green patina. That scale arm hanger thingy would clean up nice and make a cool display piece.:icon_thumright:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it IS interesting, keep digging

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug those weights before but, never any of the scale itself. Pretty cool finds. I always cherish my recovered brass pieces with the green patina. That scale arm hanger thingy would clean up nice and make a cool display piece.:icon_thumright:

No brass here but I agree with them being nice display pieces. I was just asked if I would bring the items to the township’s farm show in a few weeks and I said absolutely! Great to share and you can bet I’ll get some permissions out of it.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never dug up even part of a scale. Hope you find the rest of the scale.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you think repurposed?

The drilled holes by the way are made to make the weight accurate. ie. started over weight.

Cool find. We often find the Roman version of the lead weights but this year we found our first bit of the balance arm, nothing really changes in 2000 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you think repurposed?

Only a guess since all of the pieces so far have been found in one small patch of trees maybe 1/2 acre or so. It is a 20+ acre woods though so it could very well be buried. The 73 year old son who owns the land now thinks he remembers setting the platform on fire in the 1950's but very little would have been wood.

EDISTOAWB

Mar 27, 2019
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TECH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pea scale

This isn't silver or gold but it's certainly been entertaining to unearth. A couple weeks ago my hunting buddy found the large piece and I thought that was pretty cool but I returned this morning and found 4 more pieces which include 3 weights and the weight hanger. I hit the '100' weight with a wire cup brush on a drill and it shined up pretty nice with not much effort. I like how the weights are drilled out on the back side to get the weight just right. The '500' weight has a billion holes in it. Has anyone here dug up an entire platform scale? :icon_scratch: It would be pretty neat to find the rest of it but it was probably repurposed.

Thanks for looking

View attachment 1497778 View attachment 1497781 View attachment 1497782
View attachment 1497783 View attachment 1497784 View attachment 1497785 View attachment 1497786
This is not a platform scale but a hanging scale. We call them pea scales. I watched my grandfather weigh cotton in an oak tree in the yard. We have found 4 weights this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread