Fox digs medallion or fob, need help cleaning!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been checking these dens for years. He or she kicked this out recently. Victor burned in 1899, it only took 5 hours. This came from wreckage I am fairly certain. Lots of my finds have a severe black hard crust. I thought this thing was toast as I started to see through it. Then came some letters! I scrubed at it with a wire brush but I need to stop. Sometimes I heat them with a torch but they get to coppery. Electrolosis is an option but sometimes they get acne:) Olive oil would take 40 years. I would love some other ideas or options thanks. My next option is a green scratchy and slowly go at it. No way a tooth pick would work. I sure get impatient, I am sure curious the lettering looks in great shape.
I did leave the foxes some fish last week:) Hope you dig something great. These mystery finds are among my favorite! No makers mark on the back yet. It is slightly bigger than a dollar. Maybe its a common fob and someone knows what it is. 0924171845-1.jpg

Upvote 12

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It sound like you got a new hunting partner! I haven't found anything in the dirt piles outside of them yet, maybe some day! Awesome find, I might even risk using steel wool on that piece, I don't think that it can't get any worse. I am pretty sure that the foxes also appreciate their fish! Sounds like a nice hunt!

Also, Maybe a late 19th century fire department fob, I have seen some similar ones.

f5b6b9737722f0eb0972d951c038a603--fire-department-hose.jpg

If this is the case, it would be amazing if it was worn by a fire fighter while trying to put out the fire in 1899. If only that find could talk!

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IN CASE OF HYSTERIA SEND IT TO ME. INTERESTING FIND.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuke some peroxide long enough to get it bubbling, (I usually use a plastic yogurt container about a inch full, about 40-50 seconds)
plop it in, and wait awhile.
Repeat.
Actually I usually get too impatient, and use a brass brush, invariably taking too much off.
Maybe try the brush more on the back side, and then work on the front.
Really unusual shape and design, please keep us posted!
Kudos!
Carl

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im looking into a soda blaster for my toasty finds. Gonna give it a try when I get one and will post results. It is supposed to be a soft blast that polishes instead of pitting. Anyone try it?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Im looking into a soda blaster for my toasty finds. Gonna give it a try when I get one and will post results. It is supposed to be a soft blast that polishes instead of pitting. Anyone try it?

Hi TK...if you are talking about a commonly called Sand Blaster...Yes..and there are many different medias/options to use depending on what you want to clean. For the small stuff get an adjustable air pressure compressor and gun. There are options to reuse your media. I use crushed walnuts on a lot of stuff. That works well on thin and heavier metal to avoid pitting. Just adjust the air pressure for your needs.

Stay Away from Black Betty unless you are removing graffiti from concrete!! Very sharp sharp shards!

Good Luck!

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Coinman, I am more excited than ever now. Firefighter items have been high on my list.Thank you Carl, I will try that peroxide when I get home from work this am. I am sure I will have it cleaned by noon. Thanks trdking and Kace! I saw a good sandblaster on eBay for 27 dollars. I bet that would be the way to go, but that impatient factor has got me. I should order one now. The fox den picture didn't post. It was in large small indent to the right, fused to old iron. I smashed the iron and this popped out. I will post a picture this afternoon cleaned up. 0924171728-1.jpg

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find!

You can borrow my my "Nuclear, Electrolysis, Microwaving, Ultrasonic, Chemical Powerwashing, Pressure cooking, Annealing furnace, acid bathing, peroxide finishing, cleaning machine"
............if you think it'll help. :tongue3:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to be either a Knights of Columbus or Knights Templar (Masonic) medal...bottom half. If you can clean it to the point of reading the lettering in one or more of the four "wings," you will have your definitive answer!

Knights of Columbus will say, "Charity, Unity, Patriotism, Brotherly Love."

Knights Templar will say, "In Hoc Signo Vinces."

Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TK...if you are talking about a commonly called Sand Blaster...Yes..and there are many different medias/options to use depending on what you want to clean. For the small stuff get an adjustable air pressure compressor and gun. There are options to reuse your media. I use crushed walnuts on a lot of stuff. That works well on thin and heavier metal to avoid pitting. Just adjust the air pressure for your needs.

Stay Away from Black Betty unless you are removing graffiti from concrete!! Very sharp sharp shards!

Good Luck!
Indeed a blaster used with sand and a soda blaster used with soda. The soda is one use and gone so it is a little different system as it does not recycle the media like a sand blaster. Just curious if it really works with out removing the metal?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sub is all over it... those little eye holes at the top indicate it dangled from a pin... like a war medal.

Electrolysis is the way to remove that crust... but the object will never look the same, but you will be able to read it.

Here is an IHC that I zapped.

Well done sir!

Attachments

• IMG_20170903_124456_352-1.jpg
    IMG_20170903_124456_352-1.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20170903_190459_099-1.jpg
    IMG_20170903_190459_099-1.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sub is all over it... those little eye holes at the top indicate it dangled from a pin... like a war medal.

Electrolysis is the way to remove that crust... but the object will never look the same, but you will be able to read it.

Here is an IHC that I zapped.

Well done sir!

Yea once 'Corrosion ' get's down into the Metal 'Not much you can do'.
GL OP

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty excited. It is reading mountain plains festival Denver. Hopefully the date is on the top or bottom. I am tired of scrubbing and am heading out detecting. I will clean this more this afternoon and post a picture. The hydrogen peroxide works a little if it is pretty hot. Mainly using a wire brush. Here is this one and a previous one! Probably right up there with my favorite finds!!!! The mountain men would meet the farmers to trade and party a little:) These are top finds for A Colorado detectorist. Maybe it will be from the first one:)
I couldn't be more Happy. Looks like more fish for the foxes!!!! View attachment 1498012

Attachments

• Kcjournaloct71897.jpg
    Kcjournaloct71897.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 44
  • 0925170951-1.jpg
    0925170951-1.jpg
    874.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little cleaner, 190. I still can't read the sides. The crust is like cement in the eyelets. 0925171227-1.jpg

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Coinman, I am more excited than ever now. Firefighter items have been high on my list.Thank you Carl, I will try that peroxide when I get home from work this am. I am sure I will have it cleaned by noon. Thanks trdking and Kace! I saw a good sandblaster on eBay for 27 dollars. I bet that would be the way to go, but that impatient factor has got me. I should order one now. The fox den picture didn't post. It was in large small indent to the right, fused to old iron. I smashed the iron and this popped out. I will post a picture this afternoon cleaned up. View attachment 1497960

Good luck cleaning it! I have a hard time staying patient too. I have only been lucky enough to find one fire fighter medal, in a trash pit containing a few fobs, WWI dog tags, and medals.

1902 Firefighter Medal, dug in that trash pit, a lot of gilt still on it!
medal.png

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
A little cleaner, 190. I still can't read the sides. The crust is like cement in the eyelets. View attachment 1498057

It looks a lot better! How did you clean it? One more light cleaning and it should be readable!

Also, I see the word, "Plain" on the right side of the inner circle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks a lot better! How did you clean it? One more light cleaning and it should be readable!

Also, I see the word, "Plain" on the right side of the inner circle.

It reads Mount Plain Festival around the inner circle. With Denver below and 1901 above. Something on the sides. I used lots and lots of elbow grease, with a soft wire brush. . I am going to let it sit before I go at it more. I don't want to wear down the letters, and its frustrating. I am very tempered to heat it. That piece you found is amazing. Thanks for the posts!! I tried to Google a simular medallion but no luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions