Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was driving through an area out on the island when I saw a bunch of guys working around a pile of rubble that used to be a house. There was a big dumpster in front so I decided to investigate. I stopped the truck and looked in the big dumpster. There was nothing but wood and bricks in there and some branches. One of the demo guys asked me what I was looking for and I said I was interested in anything historic or old, I explained that I was a historian and loved finding and saving old things from the garbage. The guy liked what I said and told me that there was an old barn in the backyard that they had knocked down earlier and there had been 'alot of old junk in there'. I asked if I could go check it out and he said I could although there probably wasn't much left.

So I went and looked around the area where the barn once was, now nothing but a few pieces of wood here and there, a broken off leg of a Chippendale chair, brick pieces, then as I was almost ready to give up on finding anything I saw a huge anvil sitting by itself next to a pile of wood. I had never found an anvil before so I did not yet know the significance of what I was looking at, but I figured if anything I could use an anvil for something as I am always tinkering with things. I asked the worker if I could take the anvil and he said I could so I got a hand truck and brought it to the truck and tossed it in.

At home I looked online and was astonished at how insanely expensive these giant old anvils cost, I still cannot believe it! As far as I can tell this is an old English-imported anvil, I can tell because it has three numbers stamped on it near the base: '1 - 1 - 17'. I originally thought these numbers were a date stamp, but they're not, they actually represent the anvil's weight in the archaic English Hundredweight System. The stamp '1 - 1 - 17' translates to 157lbs. or 71kgs. - the weight of the anvil. I do not know what brand of anvil this is yet, but it may be an Attwood based on the shape of the base and my preliminary research into this exciting new world of anvil history, if I clean the side a bit I can probably make out more detail and possibly make out the maker's stamp if it's there at all. This anvil is likely 100-150 years old and is worth way more than I expected. Now I know to keep an extra sharp eye out for anvils in the future!

Some perspective:
20170926_130437.jpg 20170926_130310.jpg

20170926_130355.jpg

You can just barely make out the weight stamp '1-1-17', there may also be a maker's stamp above this but I will need to clean it more to tell for sure:
20170926_130401.jpg

Upvote 40

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is simply one of the coolest things I've seen on T'Net. Nice save and salvage, and Nicely done!

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your good fortune. I sure could use one of those in my shop, maybe I'll get lucky too.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Hopefully that thing is useful for you. At least you can sell it. You had good luck this day! Most guys working in the demolition industry know what brings dough.
Had the same earlier this year when i found a huge drill press in a dumpster. Some brain cut the connecting cable off for the copper and threw 180lbs. of iron in the trash... Got a new cable, cleaned and painted it and i have an undestructable 1960s drill press in the shop which will survive me easily.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you did very well for yourself. I have some friends in the knife making industry and one friend was telling me the cost of anvils and I was shocked. And the older ones like that are worth much more. The newer ones are cast and aren't worth as much. You may check with some professional knife makers and I'm sure there is someone in that business who would pay a great sum of money for it. Congratulations.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find! I would love to find an anvil, especially one with such a unique history. A couple months ago I dug a mid 1800's tool tag with the full name, including the middle name, of my town's blacksmith during that time, one of my favorite finds! Still not an anvil used by the town blacksmith though, which is pretty amazing!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a find ...now you got me thinkin , how many hit and miss engines were dumped like that in the oil fields.....now i'm going to take the hot stick for a walk only thing is i need somebody to carry the shovels.......hmmmmm

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I HAVE A FRIEND WHO BUYS AND SELL ANVILS STARTING AT 550.00 AND UP .NICE FIND.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great score UnderMiner!
Anvils all have triple digit plus price tags around here.
Congrats , and good networking/ people skills.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find! Looks like a nice place to dig through the goodies! :icon_thumleft:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago a co-worker told me a good anvil rings. Basically they aren't just a shaped piece of iron, they are precision instruments. So I knew you had a very valuable find. Congratulations on one heavy find.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't remember seeing one of those posted before - very cool find! And you can probably re-purpose it for your own use.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That could very well have been a Blacksmith's anvil for his entire career (and perhaps life). Likely thousands of hours of toil over that bad boy. I really like items that show personalized use and your find is just that. Killer!!!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say that you scored one of the coolest finds I have seen yet posted on T-net since I landed here. I am a blue collar grunt and appreciate a hard working man's platform. Not only is it worth some good $$$ money but, the personalized touch of having an old anvil used by a blacksmith is just over the top COOLNESS!:headbang: Blood, Sweat, and Tears have ALL been dripped on that old piece of steel.:icon_salut:

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14::occasion14::occasion14:
I have to say that you scored one of the coolest finds I have seen yet posted on T-net since I landed here. I am a blue collar grunt and appreciate a hard working man's platform. Not only is it worth some good $$$ money but, the personalized touch of having an old anvil used by a blacksmith is just over the top COOLNESS!:headbang: Blood, Sweat, and Tears have ALL been dripped on that old piece of steel.:icon_salut:

No doubt this anvil served at least a few generations of hard working men well in its 100+ years of existance, an entire family's livelihood likely once rested with men who knew how to strike that hot iron across it. It really makes you wonder just how many horseshoes, tools, weapons, etc. were made using this. :occasion14:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anvils are made of cast steel. Nice find!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that a lot, great score

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread