1921D Merc Recovered

lurk

Oct 28, 2015
Midwest
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD SE, Pro Pointer AT, Nel Sharpshooter coil, formerly ATPro & ATGold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is going to be a long winded post and for that I am sorry. TL DR scroll for pics.

First I would like give a thanks and shoutout to LocoDigger who helped me get adjusted and get the most out of my F75 through some PMs.

So I have an unoffical rule about no detecting during the heat of summer, because its too hot, its hard on the grass, and its spear fishing season for me, so I took my layoff over summer and have been back detecting now that the weather has cooled.

My first year detecting I was probably overly concerned with finding silver and had convinced myself that my machine wasn't deep enough, not that there just wasn't silver at my sights. Now I have learned to get out of my bubble, do some good research, and most of all talk to people. This has blessed me with quite a few permissions. It seems as I am finishing one spot I catch wind of another and so on and on. Right now on my perms I am running 9 yays for 2 nays. I havnt ventured more than 1 block from my original permission I got where I found the Indians that I posted about in the spring. As far as the silver depth question, I think it is false, as I have now found 2 silvers on the surface, and most of them above 4 inches.

I am writing this post mostly for what I have found today, which when I cleaned it off I about soiled myself, but I am going to combine it with my last few hunts as well.

After I hunted out the original permission I did the neighbors house, which yielded another Indian, his name is Fred he is important to this story. I then got permission on two houses down the street that are unihabited and in disrepair. Those two houses yeilded 2 mercs, 1 rosie, and 12 wheats. It took my about 3 days to clean those houses out and I was lucky enough to get to chat with the nice lady across the street who gave me permission to do her yard, I told her I would return at a later date. I ran into Fred at a Chinese Buffet of all places and he told me that he has spoke with his neighbor across the alley from him and that his neighbor wants me to do his yard. I pulled it up on the county website and the neighbors house was built in 1900, which got me excited. So yesterday after my wife went to work in the evening I decided to go see Fred and get in contact with the neighbor. Well Fred wasn't home so I decided to do some curb strips instead and not waste the day. The curb strips were around a city owned parking lot so I wasn't concerned about POing any home owners. I hit a good patch of nails in one of the curb strips and decided to slow it down and scored my first silver quarter a 1964 but that was just fine with me. I hit a wheat and then popped a 1940 merc that I thought was a penny at about 2 inches, that was a pleasant surprise. So tonight after the wife went to work I decided to go try and get in touch with Fred again, once again, not home. I drove around the block and as luck would have it, the lady across the street from the two delapidated houses was on her porch, so I stopped and asked her if it was still okay if I did her yard and she abliged. So I got to swinging through a little rain and lots of trash, started finding some chunks of lead which is usually a good sign for me and then on the side of the house popped out a Merc from about 3 inches, restrained myself from rubbing it because I could see it was from the 20s. Cool I thought because I was just thinking how I would like to find some earlier Mercs because all I have came up with until this point was 1940s Mercs.

So I just got home and rinsed it off alittle, read the date 1921...cool I'm thinking....wait isn't there some significance to that date? Why does it stick out in my head? Check the mintmark its a D...Look it up....About crap my pants. Text my detecting comrades and then sat down to write this post. I need to rinse it and take some photos which I will do now, just wanted to write this while it was fresh. Besides the Merc I only found 1 wheatie in the rest of yard, but the 21D merc more than makes up for that!

Also still no Fred. Unfortunately its going to be pretty hard for that new permission to top this lol! I am going to try and catch him again tomorrow.

here are the finds from the two run down houses

IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1399.JPG

Heres the finds from yesterdays curb strip hunt
IMG_1409.JPG IMG_1410.JPG IMG_1411.JPG

can anyone help ID this thing from the curbstrips yesterday? Its copper with what appears to be silver plating on the embellished edges. Lamp string pull?
DSCN3050.JPG DSCN3051.JPG

And finally what you've been waiting for, the 21D Merc
IMG_1412.JPG DSCN3059.JPG DSCN3054.jpg

By my standards I am having a kick ass year with all of these finds. Last year I think I managed something like 4 wheats lol. I am so tickled right now.

Thanks for reading and sorry for any typos.

Upvote 20

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. Id take that over a 5 Walker spill. Lol

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the excitement in your writing, the details are great. And Wow, Great Job on getting all those permissions. :notworthy::notworthy:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing find! That 1921d is in amazing condition! I would probably send it to NGC or PCGS. Don't clean it anymore than it is now, just a few hairline scratches or an unnaturally shiny patina will kill the value. I would say that it is probably in Extremely Fine 45 grade, and worth around $700-$750 in it's condition if graded by PCGS. If cleaned with hairlines, it is worth around $300-$400. Once again, Amazing find! I would kill to dig a key date like that, banner! Great job on getting such an amazing permission, completely worth it with a coin like that!

Last edited:

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations! That is fabulous. I am just starting to ask and get permissions. People have been kind and interested and no one has asked for keepers or cuts. How does one handle such a rare and valuable find when it is from a permission? So far I have not had to think about that but it has crossed my mind wondering...what if that happened?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are a grass lover, water detect in the summer!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHA CHING! Sweet score on the keydate Merc in fabulous condition. Leave her be as far as cleaning and I'd probably send that one in for grading. Oh, it only takes ONE recovery to turn things on their head! Congratulations on a special find and more permissions to hunt. Buy the lady some flowers or get her some assorted chocolates!:hello:

OP
OP
L

lurk

Oct 28, 2015
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! That is fabulous. I am just starting to ask and get permissions. People have been kind and interested and no one has asked for keepers or cuts. How does one handle such a rare and valuable find when it is from a permission? So far I have not had to think about that but it has crossed my mind wondering...what if that happened?

She actually was rather indifferent about the dime. As I was detecting she had a friend over with her on the porch and I had to take a rain break so I went and showed them my finds. At the time I didn't know what I had and showing her the dime was more of a token of "see I'm not crazy." Some people do say "if you find anything good I want half of it" or if I feel like it will help sway their opinion I'll say "if I find anything good I'll split it with you." Usually I try to avoid all of the conversation all together. Most people don't think there is anything to be found in the first place and its better to not give them any ideas and just play along. My out of the blue permission script goes something like this...

I always try to ask when I figure people will be a good mood and not completely preoccupied.

Hi I'm ______ _______
I like to metal detect for old coins
Would you mind if I had a look around ________

if its an easy yes I leave the conversation right there to not complicate anything in their mind any further.
if they are worried about digging I explain how I dig and that they will never know I was digging
If they are worried about finds I agree because I don't have much choice if I want to detect there.

Usually the finds are rather mediocre anyways, I explain its not about getting rich its more about the excitement of the find. Merc dime melt values are less than 2 dollars I think, and uncleaned wheats look really trashy so noone has tried to take a cut and I usually show the owner my finds.

Quite honestly though shame on me for saying this, if I ever do find something that knocks my socks off right out of the hole like a gold coin or my first seated etc I am going to secret compartment that and not show them. I have also told friendly joking types who tried to ask for cuts if I find something good that "oh don't worry if I find something good I'll just rebury it and tell you its in your yard somewhere good luck finding it." Although something like a ring or something personal to the owner that could be theirs or a heirloom I would be happy to return.

I am a little butthurt about one of the permissions I got shot down on and maybe its a story for another thread but I will tell it here. A local lawyer has bought an entire block of part of the original town plat I assume he intends to develop it although it is for sale. It only has 1 house remaining on the block out of the 8 lots. I call him which maybe was a mistake and I should have went in person but I already felt interupting him at work was bad enough, although I did call him at 4:45 on a Friday. Give him my spiel to which he had a rather lengthy lawyer like retort. I guess he had already given permission to someone and they had managed to piss the 1 remaining tenant on the entire block off. I don't know if they ended up on the tenants land, or were being jackasses or leaving holes or decided to bring 30 people and a dog with them. On top of that he told me there was nothing there to find anyways and that "you're all looking for that one 3 legged nickel or whatever right" to which I said no its more about the surprise of what you find, to which he replied "I don't have time for that" and that this time he was going to have to "skip it" on giving me permission and then "thanked" me for calling. I kind of want to blame that stupid show Diggers for his attitude towards detectorists but the other party is probably responsible. I am very low key/quiet and nose to the grindstone when I am detecting and I don't disturb anyone besides peoples useless barking dogs. The lawyer dude kind of rubbed me the wrong way so I have half a mind to do the lawyer thing and go do his curbstrips without his permission because I don't need it just to be an ass but I probably won't. Wew I almost feel better.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Quite honestly though shame on me for saying this, if I ever do find something that knocks my socks off right out of the hole like a gold coin or my first seated etc I am going to secret compartment that and not show them. I have also told friendly joking types who tried to ask for cuts if I find something good that "oh don't worry if I find something good I'll just rebury it and tell you its in your yard somewhere good luck finding it." Although something like a ring or something personal to the owner that could be theirs or a heirloom I would be happy to return."
If you are saying that you do this and there is no agreement about the finds, NO PROBLEM. You did all the work and you are not obligated to show them anything. I don't think I could do it with a permission agreement in place, even if i found the Holy Grail. Thats just bad Karma. And Karma does getcha

OP
OP
L

lurk

Oct 28, 2015
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Quite honestly though shame on me for saying this, if I ever do find something that knocks my socks off right out of the hole like a gold coin or my first seated etc I am going to secret compartment that and not show them. I have also told friendly joking types who tried to ask for cuts if I find something good that "oh don't worry if I find something good I'll just rebury it and tell you its in your yard somewhere good luck finding it." Although something like a ring or something personal to the owner that could be theirs or a heirloom I would be happy to return."
If you are saying that you do this and there is no agreement about the finds, NO PROBLEM. You did all the work and you are not obligated to show them anything. I don't think I could do it with a permission agreement in place, even if i found the Holy Grail. Thats just bad Karma. And Karma does getcha

Should have been more specific, I was meaning if there was no agreement. Just because after the fact they could decide they want to lay claim. Discretion is a good idea with good finds I think.

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats bud! I found a 1921-D Merc earlier in the year and was super stoked too. Yours looks to be about in the shape mine is...maybe even a little better! It's probably a $300-$450 coin IF GRADED but honestly, I bought a nice $7 case for mine and I kept it. Love it in my collection and my most valuable coin found to date! Very low mintage on the 21-D...second only to the 1916-D. Nice recovery! It's nice to save some history like that. I hope my grandkids don't sell it for beer money. HH

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506819895.024688.jpg

Here's the one I found earlier in the year. Bought it a nice case and kept it for the collection. Still wanna get it graded, but haven't done it yet...

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
She actually was rather indifferent about the dime. As I was detecting she had a friend over with her on the porch and I had to take a rain break so I went and showed them my finds. At the time I didn't know what I had and showing her the dime was more of a token of "see I'm not crazy." Some people do say "if you find anything good I want half of it" or if I feel like it will help sway their opinion I'll say "if I find anything good I'll split it with you." Usually I try to avoid all of the conversation all together. Most people don't think there is anything to be found in the first place and its better to not give them any ideas and just play along. My out of the blue permission script goes something like this...

I always try to ask when I figure people will be a good mood and not completely preoccupied.

Hi I'm ______ _______
I like to metal detect for old coins
Would you mind if I had a look around ________

if its an easy yes I leave the conversation right there to not complicate anything in their mind any further.
if they are worried about digging I explain how I dig and that they will never know I was digging
If they are worried about finds I agree because I don't have much choice if I want to detect there.

Usually the finds are rather mediocre anyways, I explain its not about getting rich its more about the excitement of the find. Merc dime melt values are less than 2 dollars I think, and uncleaned wheats look really trashy so noone has tried to take a cut and I usually show the owner my finds.

Quite honestly though shame on me for saying this, if I ever do find something that knocks my socks off right out of the hole like a gold coin or my first seated etc I am going to secret compartment that and not show them. I have also told friendly joking types who tried to ask for cuts if I find something good that "oh don't worry if I find something good I'll just rebury it and tell you its in your yard somewhere good luck finding it." Although something like a ring or something personal to the owner that could be theirs or a heirloom I would be happy to return.

I am a little butthurt about one of the permissions I got shot down on and maybe its a story for another thread but I will tell it here. A local lawyer has bought an entire block of part of the original town plat I assume he intends to develop it although it is for sale. It only has 1 house remaining on the block out of the 8 lots. I call him which maybe was a mistake and I should have went in person but I already felt interupting him at work was bad enough, although I did call him at 4:45 on a Friday. Give him my spiel to which he had a rather lengthy lawyer like retort. I guess he had already given permission to someone and they had managed to piss the 1 remaining tenant on the entire block off. I don't know if they ended up on the tenants land, or were being jackasses or leaving holes or decided to bring 30 people and a dog with them. On top of that he told me there was nothing there to find anyways and that "you're all looking for that one 3 legged nickel or whatever right" to which I said no its more about the surprise of what you find, to which he replied "I don't have time for that" and that this time he was going to have to "skip it" on giving me permission and then "thanked" me for calling. I kind of want to blame that stupid show Diggers for his attitude towards detectorists but the other party is probably responsible. I am very low key/quiet and nose to the grindstone when I am detecting and I don't disturb anyone besides peoples useless barking dogs. The lawyer dude kind of rubbed me the wrong way so I have half a mind to do the lawyer thing and go do his curbstrips without his permission because I don't need it just to be an ass but I probably won't. Wew I almost feel better.

Thanks, lurk, for the detail in how you go about permissions. I got a kick out of the line about putting the good find back in the yard for the owner to find...funny scenario and the thought of it makes me smile but I would have to be pretty put out to actually do it.

The story about permission refusal was good to hear too, not that I want to get one, but know that sometimes that will just have to be the case.

Enjoy your new lovely finds and thank you again for being so open and detailed in your story sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread