ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One of my neighbors died last week. He was a hoarder. He also had a lot of cash hidden in his house. Yesterday they were cleaning it out and throwing a lot of new things in a dumpster they rented and put in the driveway. I have been helping but only to toss what they threw outside in the dumpster. They told me I could have anything they tossed out I wanted. I saw some new things so I went dumpster diving with another neighbor this morning. They are only scrounging for cash and throwing out everything.

I opened one trash bag and found a plastic pouch with 6.00 in it. Then I spotted two 20.00 bills just lose in the bag. Got those. Also got a handful of change. Got a lot of unopened packs of playing cards and small paint brushes and a few other things. While picking through things I picked up a pillow case. It had something in it. I opened it up and saw a bunch of envelopes.

In looking in the envelopes I saw CASH. I took the whole thing home and we opened all the envelopes. The grand total is 9400.00. Yes 9 thousand 400 dollars. This money would have been long gone when the dumpster was picked up. This is crazy. There is so much money in that house it is unbelievable. He was robbed in 2015 and claimed he lost over 200 grand in cash.

Well my neighbor and I split the cash and got 4700.00 each. Better us than the landfill as far as I am concerned. I am still shocked.

Upvote 49

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Holy smokes, that is insane. They need to check what they're tossing a bit more closely. Congrats!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the great find. Makes you wonder what's in the structure of the house. And you didn't even have to get wet.:icon_thumleft:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some good luck for you...better you than the landfill. Congrats !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a serious find, congrats! Wonder how the family made out in the end if they found more that what was in the bag?

Only real cool thing that I found was in the binding of a book one time. An estate sale, I was the only one there and the woman said everything was for sale. I picked a cool looking book out and was flipping through the pages when two gold coins slipped out onto the floor and coffee table. After the shock wore off both of us we started looking through more books, the woman started to get gold fever/agitated and I could sense a end to the sale real quick. She finally said "All the books aren't for sale" That was a relief actually because I could really feel the tension in the air. After agreeing that was a great decision I carried on buying other stuff.

One has to wonder why things happen in life, folks squirrel away a small fortune while living a frugal lifestyle. Having had a mother that was a hoarder I wonder sometimes on arriving on the doorstep 36 hrs later after her passing and seeing drawers on the floor, contents rifled everywhere, if there wasn't a bit of $$$ stashed and the greedy ones got to it first. Many times she could have $3K just in the purse walking around shopping in town, just in case she ran across a deal.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a serious find, congrats! Wonder how the family made out in the end if they found more that what was in the bag?

Only real cool thing that I found was in the binding of a book one time. An estate sale, I was the only one there and the woman said everything was for sale. I picked a cool looking book out and was flipping through the pages when two gold coins slipped out onto the floor and coffee table. After the shock wore off both of us we started looking through more books, the woman started to get gold fever/agitated and I could sense a end to the sale real quick. She finally said "All the books aren't for sale" That was a relief actually because I could really feel the tension in the air. After agreeing that was a great decision I carried on buying other stuff.

One has to wonder why things happen in life, folks squirrel away a small fortune while living a frugal lifestyle. Having had a mother that was a hoarder I wonder sometimes on arriving on the doorstep 36 hrs later after her passing and seeing drawers on the floor, contents rifled everywhere, if there wasn't a bit of $$$ stashed and the greedy ones got to it first. Many times she could have $3K just in the purse walking around shopping in town, just in case she ran across a deal.

They have found a lot of cash. They refuse to say how much. I do know this. The grandson that inherited the home is 19. He just bought a 2011 Silverado for him. A 2010 Durango for his mother and was talking about giving 6 grand to his sister. We are guessing they have found over 100 grand but that is a guestamate.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha ha !! Sorry I get happy when people find cash. Great work. what a score, beats wiping grime off an old ring thats been underwater for 100 years.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is crazy insane. Enjoy your bounty.

Jaysix

Dec 14, 2016
Portage, pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac (current)
Garrett At Pro (previous)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score. When my great uncle passed away in 2006, my dad found 14 grand in envelopes stuffed in his pillowcase. Also found jars upon jars of silver coins. That was way before any of us knew anything about coins or silver for the matter. We ended up selling them for melt to a local coin shop for $850. I still kick myself in the butt thinking of what coins were sold and what they would be worth today.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on your big scoop. One could only imagine what could be inside the walls.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic! I just can't fathom how they would miss a pillow case with that much cash in it. Oh well, they told you you could have whatever they threw away!

Steve

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my grandfather died his silver coins immediately went missing. I guess too many family members knew he had them and someone was greedy.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This family is in "throw it in the trash" mode. There must be tons of things, for them to go this way. Go back ASAP, some antique may end in the dumpster as well as they don't obviously know what they have. Congrats on the find and good luck if you go back ;)

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dream of finds like that. Good for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread