Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably should have titled this, check out your finds right away, dummy. But I wander away from the point. I went to the beach...again...went over some of the old places I normally detect...again...I watch where the crowds go, where the "events" are held, etc. and then go behind them to see what they lose.

Well, this was a pretty usual day. The sweeper had been there but after the 3rd sinker or so and the 3rd or so pulltab, finally started finding individual coins. Most of the coins were older, you can tell by the pics, and by older I mean they were corroded. Did find a recently dropped 1939 Lincoln. Interesting. Weather was perfect, so I figured I'd go down to the FAR end of the beach where I only go once or twice a year.

As I was starting down to that point, I found a coin spill, or something similar. About 8 coins in a 10' x 10' area, mostly new drops. And found a golden colored arcade token, the kind with eagle on it. It was with two shiny pennies and a quarter in the scoop so I didn't take a second glance at the "token" until I had gotten home.

In the meantime, In the pouch with the "token", go the sinkers, fishhooks, pulltabs, bottle caps, and a total of 35 coins, sunglasses, ad nauseum.

Late in the hunt, I decided to "tune up" the Deus to "kill" mode. I was detecting "dry beach" at a frequency of 14.4 and bumped it to 28.8. Picked up some tiny split shot and broken barrell swivels. All go in the pouch with the POS golden "token".

About 50 feet later I got a decent but deep signal. I dig it, and the dumb thing slips through the holes in the scoop. It was the top half of a 14k gold ring. Half? Come on already! Well, here's the picture. IMG_0463.JPG

I now go back to where the fishermen spend a lot of time, and sinker heaven awaits me. Yes, the meat of the story is coming! I found more sinkers and HALF of a man's tungsten ring! Come on! Half! It's on the left top of this picture. Also pictured is my loose screw. View attachment IMG_0466.jpg

So I keep digging but the cat's getting tired. Here's some of the stuff. IMG_0467.jpg IMG_0465.jpg

So, on the way back I dig out the 14k ring and drop it at the jewelers. It is 14k, not worth much of anything but I'm having it restored JUST BECAUSE. Having a red garnet set in it. I'll have it back in about two weeks. They must have thought I was nuts, but did learn one thing - tungsten rings, while tough, are brittle and will easily break in half.

THEN, I finally get home and start sorting. I set aside the driftwood and the seaglass, and chuck out the aluminum cans, the plastic lures, the sunglasses, the swimming goggles and dump out, actually, unceremoniously dump out the coins and the "golden token".

Then I got my glasses out. Note to self: do not assume you have an arcade token when you detect a gold colored coin, and TAKE YOUR GLASSES WITH YOU WHEN YOU DETECT. The token DID feel kind of heavy. Not corroded either. So, FINALLY with the glasses on I actually LOOK at the thing. It is a 1905 $5 US gold coin. I think I almost needed to change my clothes. And it looks like it was lost YESTERDAY, IF that long ago. And on the beach?

At this point I'm having a fit. THE BEACH? Now it is scratched up quite a bit, has it's share of dings and scratched and worn flat spots on it. But the BEACH?????

Best assumption is someone had this in a screw closure pendant and the thing came out. Very recently, or I or someone else would have found it last weekend when there were several of us detecting that stretch of beach.

So I had a cow. A BIG cow. Upon close examination I can see some damage around the rim, like it was clamped in one of those little screw coin clamps.

I am still playing with it. While this is my first US gold coin, it is my third gold coin found since 2013. I dig a LOT.

First gold coin was a 1774 English Gold Guinea found at Coin Beach, Delaware after Hurricane Sandy in 2013. It was ON TOP of the sand.

Second was the ugliest thing ever. A 1945 Mexican coin found on another beach in 2016.

I think you're supposed to find gold coins in the DIRT. I do dig a lot of historic sites, but can't seem to find many coins there with the exception of English and early American coppers, but no state coppers except one Virginia Halfpenny found a very, very long time ago. Well, for me, it's a sandy kind of deal.

I'm not excited but almost forgot to post the picture of the coin! The thing is in amazing condition. I don't think the picture shows it well, but there are worn high spots, especially on the face, looks like someone liked to rub it, best guess. IMG_0460.jpg View attachment IMG_0459.jpg

Upvote 155
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not the only one who has found gold like this at a beach or park. A couple years ago I was at a Delaware beach and there was a young lady goofing around in the water, she came out of the water with a big gold coin. She didn't have a clue as to what it was. Thought it was a kid's toy. Said she saw it laying on the bottom shining in the sun, so picked it up. I think people lose these "jewelry" coins more often than what we know. It's our job to rescue them!

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find for sure.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats great gold find!
Congrats on Banner too!

Its a good thing you weren't trailed by a group of kids that asked for the arcade token.
I don't take my glasses either, but thats for my own protection, so if i ever find something good, I won't face plant myself and have to be revived by EMS.

Well done!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm (still) looking for my first gold coin...!
Great Find! :icon_thumright:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Smokey.. That is Sweet!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Msbeepbeep, I do get trailed and followed by kids all the time. I normally have found a toy car or two that day and hand them over to them. Sometimes it's a shiny coin. Our society is so messed up, the kids simply can't fathom why a stranger would give them something, for nothing. Their little faces generally register pure shock when I give them something. (BTW the parents are normally right there with them. Observing and trying to figure it out.) The 20 something year old young ladies, now they cannot simply fathom the whole detecting thing. Priceless.

And a couple other true stories from the past. Once upon a time ago, children's toy guns were made to look very, very real. Someone I know had one. Just a toy. He was home, a hunting friend of his father's comes over and the kid pulls out the toy gun (I was there watching) and it was not pulled out in a threatening manner, but the hunting type guy quickly grabbed it and pointed the muzzle in the air.

Then he found out it was a toy. Nowadays they put those orange inserts in them.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing...a well deserved Banner! :occasion14:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on achieving your 3rd BANNER! :occasion14:
Sure wish I could 'dial in the gold coins' with my Deus like you're able to do! :laughing7:

Dave

jimbonito58

May 6, 2016
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/stock coil , 8x5 & nels storm ,garret carrot
Makro racer 2 w/stock coil ,5" round & 9x5.5 Makro PinP
Mindlab CTX 3030 11'coil / 10x5 coiltek, Minelab 17" smart coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Happy for you man .. big congrats and great story

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jerr-man

Jun 28, 2014
S E Kansas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / XP DEUS / TRX PINPOINTER, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW, what a find. Congratulations !!!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still playing with it...don't want to put it away yet. Thanks all.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy cow, that coin is gorgeous!! What a save!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, everyone please go buy one, get it mounted in one of those screw top coin holders in a necklace and go to a beach near me and lose it. I need MORE! But seriously, thanks all. I'm still playing with it fyi.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! Beautiful find.

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread