Bucket lister find! Fur trade period silver Claddagh ring.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Decided to check again my new spot in the woods where I found the awesome Patriotic button. There's a small hill in the middle of it I wanted to explore so decided to go straight there since I only had 4 hours to hunt. Was a bit disapointed at first as the targets were scarce and I didn't find any buttons or coins. After about 2 hours got a deep jumpy signal. Couldn't believe my eyes when this beauty came out.

20171003_145905.jpg
20171003_182938.jpg
20171003_225333.jpg
20171003_192805.jpg

I knew the place was old as I have found some 1700's coppers but never thought I would find relics of this age and quality. I was in such disbelief that I started looking into the rim trying to spot a hallmark of any kind and of course there was none. Super happy with this find, always wanted to get one of those early Claddagh silver rings or a Fur Trade period silver ring of any kind :)

Found a similar ring at National Park service website.

68630274-155D-4519-3E771E67D14432B6-large (1).jpg

https://www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?id=685AA9AF-155D-4519-3E0D7520F2E6B364

I sure hope this spot has some more surprises for me but even if it won't I'm extremely happy with the quality of the relics I managed to find there already.

A nice little hunt.

P.S. Just to prevent any confusion over its size and thickness I include a pic of the ring next to a copper Fur Trade period ring I have previously found.
20171003_224713.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 39

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Surprising find, Congratulations! :thumbsup:

I'm puzzled by the ring. Without a hallmark it's not going to be Irish. Where do you suppose it was made? It's not anything like the trade rings I've seen, way to thick and more detailed than a trade piece. Was there an Irish presence at the site or are you thinking it's of British manufacture? The lack of a hallmark seems to point to American manufacture.

Thanks for sharing.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ring, but NOT fur trade - in my opinion. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Surprising find, Congratulations! :thumbsup:

I'm puzzled by the ring. Without a hallmark it's not going to be Irish. Where do you suppose it was made? It's not anything like the trade rings I've seen, way to thick and more detailed than a trade piece. Was there an Irish presence at the site or are you thinking it's of British manufacture? The lack of a hallmark seems to point to American manufacture.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. The French didn't have hallmarks until late 1700's I believe. I did find trade silver items in the past and none had hallmarks as they were imported from France in 1600-1700's The ring is very crudely made, I personalty doubt it's American.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
True the French didn't have hallmarks until the late 1700's. Irish hallmarks began in 1637 if I remember right. Definitely not a trade ring but may have been a personal ring. That's why I asked if there was an Irish or British presence at the site.

It looks more modern to me but these rings have been made for almost 400 years and there have been 100s of different designs through those years so it could be made just about anytime during that period.

Nice find either way. Keep us updated if you find out more. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
True the French didn't have hallmarks until the late 1700's. Irish hallmarks began in 1637 if I remember right. Definitely not a trade ring but may have been a personal ring. That's why I asked if there was an Irish or British presence at the site.

It looks more modern to me but these rings have been made for almost 400 years and there have been 100s of different designs through those years so it could be made just about anytime during that period.

Nice find either way. Keep us updated if you find out more. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.
Very possible. I did find a few Fur Trade Rings in the past but never a silver heart type, so I can't really compare. Personally, the way this one is made and its thikness seemed to match rings imported from France in 1700's. And it might indeed have been of a personal use and not intended as trade item.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The fact the design is crude gives your ring incredible character. Good job.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking ring, and I believe your dating of the ring is close.
Though I have ??? about the style as it has 4 dots over the heart instead of the traditional three dot design.
Nether less it reeks old! Congrats!!!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent recovery on the rare ring find...:thumbsup:

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Claddagh ring with fur trade significance would be one item that would be of particular interest to me. Great find!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking ring, and I believe your dating of the ring is close.
Though I have ??? about the style as it has 4 dots over the heart instead of the traditional three dot design.
Nether less it reeks old! Congrats!!!

Thanks. I was surprised as well with its unusual design. Have no doubts that it's old, not sure of the exact period and will probably never find out for sure. My guess would be of the same period as the George III halfpenny's I found there, mid to late 1700's

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. I was surprised as well with its unusual design. Have no doubts that it's old, not sure of the exact period and will probably never find out for sure. My guess would be of the same period as the George III halfpenny's I found there, mid to late 1700's

Still that's old for my parts here in Eastern Ont.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still that's old for my parts here in Eastern Ont.

Don't get me wrong I'm super excited with this find. My oldest non religious precious metal jewlery item found in Canada. Strangely found my first 1600's copper Claddagh Fur Trade period ring just recently and finally will be able to make the post as I got it back from the land owner. Same size as this one and zero doubt of the origin and age.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a wonderful find! Enjoy your cool ring!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread