Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I got out on Saturday morning with Smittyman, we went up the road a bit and met P@tch. Here is a pic of the boys. I made sure that I had a current picture, just in case a silver alert had to be issued!

IMG_20171007_140450_047-1.jpg

When I got home and emptied my pouch, it didn't look like I had much to show for my day's effort.

IMG_20171007_160420_599-1.jpg

We went to an old public park area. I was hunting near a creek, where I had previously dug some deep old wheat cents. I got a broken weak mixed signal on the Deus. I dug down about 8", and out popped a nickel. I was a bit confused, because it was NOT a nickel signal, but after wiping it... I could tell it was a war nickel by the shininess.

IMG_20171007_115255_924.jpg

I was on the board with a silver coin! I covered the hole and scanned back over it, nothing, however... about 5" from the first hole, there was a high tone now! I dug down, and sure enough a coin came out. It was covered in a hard white crust, I thought it was a clad quarter... so I scratched the crust off with the digger... this is what I saw.

IMG_20171007_115525_542.jpg

It was an SLQ! A little water and this came out... a date of 1925!

IMG_20171007_122418_651-1.jpg

Further cleaning revealed a well worn SLQ, only my third one in four years.

IMG_20171007_162126_337-1.jpg IMG_20171007_162222_791-1.jpg

I went home with a big smile on my face. The other boys also found silver, so it was a good day for all of us!

YTD silver coins: 44

Thanks for looking and best of luck on your hunts!

Last edited:
Upvote 21

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on your silver, SLQ is nice , i also went out with a friend , nm dan to a permission I got . I was able to put out a 48 washington

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! WTG on the silver!!! Congrats and HH

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet sweet silver.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you and the other members of the NC Silver Mafia for pulling your share of the silvers over the weekend. :occasion14: You guys make sure you dig all the good target signals before you invite me to that site. :laughing7: Digging any SLQ is a treat in itself, but it's extra special when it has a legible date. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing.

PS did you find it or are you taking credit for your cast's find? :tongue3:

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats to you and the other members of the NC Silver Mafia for pulling your share of the silvers over the weekend. :occasion14: You guys make sure you dig all the good target signals before you invite me to that site. :laughing7: Digging any SLQ is a treat in itself, but it's extra special when it has a legible date. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing.

PS did you find it or are you taking credit for your cast's find? :tongue3:

Thanks man. I actually dug this one, P@tch got a Merc in the first 20 minutes, and Smittyman got a big silver Christian ring. You can tell I got the SLQ by the frowns the other gents were sporting!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pleasant surprises, the kind that can really make your day. something in the dirt must have made the SLQ crusty white but it cleaned up very nicely. did the SLQ have a lot of bleed over in the hole from the white crust, like rust tends to do? looks like a dangerous bunch that you run around with, you should be more careful. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
pleasant surprises, the kind that can really make your day. something in the dirt must have made the SLQ crusty white but it cleaned up very nicely. did the SLQ have a lot of bleed over in the hole from the white crust, like rust tends to do? looks like a dangerous bunch that you run around with, you should be more careful. :laughing7:

The signal was deep and choppy, some high tones, but really erratic, it sounded like trash, but I was "digging all repeatable signals" along the creek side, so in goes the shovel. I suspect that the hard crust was due to the coin being near the water, the soil was sandy from creek overflow, so I know that the coin was wet a lot of the time. I guess the water caused the buildup. As soon as I realized it was silver, I quit scratching on it and looked around to make sure nobody saw me doing that!

Thanks DL and GL to you sir!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your silver coin finds Tom! :occasion14:
Finding one silver makes your day, but finding two in the same hole makes your month! :laughing7:

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread