Found a new cellar hole today and it just might be an untouched late colonial!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without exaggeration, the last two dozen cellar holes I've found were all previously detected; included some that I'm amazed anyone else stumbled upon. They were still fun, but I was hoping to find some of my own sites for a change. As a result I've been chasing some very obscure marks on the old maps and this one was hiding in the middle of a 360 degree thicket composed of extremely old apple trees covered in brambles. It took a half hour to carve a way to the center and confirm that, yes indeed, there was a foundation in the middle. I'm going to have to do some clearing to really detect it, but these finds were from a 3 hour survey hunt and they're very promising. The first is a large clock plate and gear, but the gear is unlike any I've found before and I'm wondering if it's because the teeth were hand-formed.

DSC03263.JPG DSC03264.JPG DSC03265.JPG

No sign of a maker's mark or serial number on the plate, but the holes are very rough so it doesn't look stamped like the late 1800's plates that I've found before. There were a number of pewter spoon fragments as well.

DSC03266.JPG

No maker's marks on those either, but one is flattened which I've seen happen to copper spoons, but this is a first for a pewter one. I also found two tube-like objects that are new to me and I'd be glad for suggestions on either. The first is very thin brass with bands on either end and about the diameter of a pencil. The second is pewter, but what's interesting is that it looks like it was made with a pewter string that was wrapped around a central core. Has anyone dug a piece like that before?

DSC03268.JPG DSC03269.JPG DSC03270.JPG DSC03271.JPG

Several pretty standard horse tack buckles, but two older style buttons which is a good sign. The large tombac is plain, but the dandy is huge and has a sunburst pattern with concentric circles.

DSC03272.JPG DSC03274.JPG

It's the nicest dandy I've dug in awhile and I'm hoping there are more like it to be found at this site. The only later looking piece is this parasol top, but it was a surface find oddly enough so I'm not sure what to make of it.

DSC03276.JPG

Plenty of large bits of iron as well as lead lumps, but the only modern trash was two shotgun head stamps which is to be expected. I'm hoping to go back and clear small sections of thicket to detect one at a time and with a little luck some coins will turn up!

DSC03277.JPG

Upvote 27

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The odd shaped wheel is an escape wheel for a clock. The plate looks old, but looks like an 1800s mass produced movement. That location looks real promising. Nice finds.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The odd shaped wheel is an escape wheel for a clock. The plate looks old, but looks like an 1800s mass produced movement.

Thank you so much for the info! The wheel and the plate were a dozen or so paces apart so they could certainly be from separate clocks. In that case I'll be finding another clock plate somewhere in the thicket!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks very promising...can't wait to see what else pops out of that old ground! I'm actually very excited for you, virgin cellar hole, in your neck of the woods should pay off huge. Great research, good luck! Ddf

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the photos, i would say your pewter spoon and button are the oldest, im guessing after 1820. The clock frame plate probably later. Your other item looks like a wick stem from a lantern. Your in a good spot, Now go dig something with a date on it :laughing9:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate digging spoons (I probably average 1 per hunt in some areas), but they are a good sign that this foundation was more than a barn. Buttons and pottery are also good signs! Good luck!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! I agree on the clock plate and wheel late 1800's But that does mean there could be a nice largie around! Go get it!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THE ONE ITEM LOOKS LIKE A WICK HOLDER < NICE FINDSS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread