tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It has been rain the last day or so. A friend of mine and I met up at a new permission that he acquired a month or so ago. When we first went out there the grass prevented us from hunting this particular area of the property. I knew it would be good as I was finding square nails around the edges of the field from a house that shows up there on the 1878 DA Beers map.

So we checked it out first break we had in the rain today and the field had been bush hogged as we call it around here, lol! Within 30 minutes my friend pulls out a US plate that we cant tell if its a box or belt plate. Its his first plate and big congrats to him!! He hid it in his truck for a while and then tells me go look in the truck console. He tried to play it off like he hadn't really found anything but I really wasn't buying it.

20 minutes later I get a what I would call "a possible coke can or aluminum junk" hitting a good sound one way but not so good the other way. I dug the plug around the spot and when I flipped the plug over the signal was a solid 80-82 sweet sound on the AT Max. I know you guys out there may not hunt with a Garrett and spend much time on VDI readings but in other words it sounded pretty nice. The buckle may have been vertical in the hole giving an iffy signal. First fist full of dirt knocked it into view for the first time in 150+ years. I'm still shaking a bit as this has been the find of a lifetime for me. I can die a happy man knowing I got a CS buckle!!! Now for the task of finding the other half. I spent about an hour looking hard directly around the hole but didn't have any luck finding it so far. Looks like it is a Leech and Rigdon in good shape other than a slight bend in the rectangle portion of the belt loop.

If anyone can give me any info on the other brass piece that would be nice. It looks like a match box case to me with a bird and some possible grapes on it. The piece is brass but Im not 100% sure. Either way who cares, I got a CS buckle today right!!hahaha I have posted a photo of his US buckle pulled out just 20 mins earlier. I am trying to post more photos of the hole and everything but cant get the photo files to upload for some reason.

Happy Hunting to all!!

Attachments

• IMG_20171010_143712873.jpg
    IMG_20171010_143712873.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 331
  • IMG_20171010_111917737.jpg
    IMG_20171010_111917737.jpg
    831.1 KB · Views: 423
  • Kane.jpg
    Kane.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20171010_142630020.jpg
    IMG_20171010_142630020.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Upvote 73

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the buckle.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE, love the half a buckle.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So happy for you! This sounds naive, but how did all these buckles separate from their owners in the war?

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So happy for you! This sounds naive, but how did all these buckles separate from their owners in the war?
The CS two peace buckle was a Sabre belt, buckle. It's hard to tell why things get lost or even if it was lost during or after the war.
Mine was found where a orchard was near a Confederate camp during the war. I can imagine the solder removing his Sabre to climb an apple tree and it's hard to say why he never put it back on. For me, that's a lot of the fun of a find like this "Why"

HH, RN

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Going back out at the end of the week to comb that field inch by inch! The field is probably 3 acres so it may take a while but eventually I will find the missing half. I feel like the other half is out there calling for his friend back, hahaha! Thanks for all the comments folks! I am truly blessed to have found such a nice piece of history!

Mike N Tn.

Jul 1, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600,
and Fisher F75
Super Congratulations! - That is a tough buckle to recover. Any CS or CSA marked
plate is very difficult to find. I am still searching for my first after 17 years of detecting
so I can attest just how rare and special your find is.

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cant think of anything harder other than a gold coin! I searched pretty hard for the other half but havent found it yet. I fear that it may not be in the same field but who knows. Looks like you are in the middle TN area so you have just as good a shot as any at finding one!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cant think of anything harder other than a gold coin! I searched pretty hard for the other half but havent found it yet. I fear that it may not be in the same field but who knows. Looks like you are in the middle TN area so you have just as good a shot as any at finding one!

One good thing is you found the best half. I've often thought how heartbreaking it would be to find just the wreath part and never the CS. Especially if it's your first. Even if you never do find the other half, you have the most important piece!

no_limits

Apr 8, 2017
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett's ace 250/ Garrett AT pro/ AT pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been rain the last day or so. A friend of mine and I met up at a new permission that he acquired a month or so ago. When we first went out there the grass prevented us from hunting this particular area of the property. I knew it would be good as I was finding square nails around the edges of the field from a house that shows up there on the 1878 DA Beers map.

So we checked it out first break we had in the rain today and the field had been bush hogged as we call it around here, lol! Within 30 minutes my friend pulls out a US plate that we cant tell if its a box or belt plate. Its his first plate and big congrats to him!! He hid it in his truck for a while and then tells me go look in the truck console. He tried to play it off like he hadn't really found anything but I really wasn't buying it.

20 minutes later I get a what I would call "a possible coke can or aluminum junk" hitting a good sound one way but not so good the other way. I dug the plug around the spot and when I flipped the plug over the signal was a solid 80-82 sweet sound on the AT Max. I know you guys out there may not hunt with a Garrett and spend much time on VDI readings but in other words it sounded pretty nice. The buckle may have been vertical in the hole giving an iffy signal. First fist full of dirt knocked it into view for the first time in 150+ years. I'm still shaking a bit as this has been the find of a lifetime for me. I can die a happy man knowing I got a CS buckle!!! Now for the task of finding the other half. I spent about an hour looking hard directly around the hole but didn't have any luck finding it so far. Looks like it is a Leech and Rigdon in good shape other than a slight bend in the rectangle portion of the belt loop.

If anyone can give me any info on the other brass piece that would be nice. It looks like a match box case to me with a bird and some possible grapes on it. The piece is brass but Im not 100% sure. Either way who cares, I got a CS buckle today right!!hahaha I have posted a photo of his US buckle pulled out just 20 mins earlier. I am trying to post more photos of the hole and everything but cant get the photo files to upload for some reason.

Happy Hunting to all!!

Sweet great find

rickb2202

Jan 30, 2015
nuevo mexico
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are right on the brass piece, looks like a match box. congrats on find of a lifetime !!!

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Additional photos

IMG_20171010_123732704.jpg IMG_20171010_123739371 (2).jpg

Finally able to add a couple more photos from right after I found it. I know it looks like an add for the AT Max but I honestly didn't mean for it to be that way. Just wanted the metal detector in the pic. Maybe this is the first CS buckle found with an AT Max though, you never know! Thanks for all the comments!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Confederacy is still out there waiting to be brought back to the surface, and you just found a little piece of it! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions