Not a record for me but a pretty good silver day!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a long dry spell with no rain, I finally got out to a permission that proved to be super fun!
So, the night before last, I set my impact settings to Di3 mode at 5KHz and tweaked the audio tone and tone breaks to sound off on nickels at a higher tone. Basically, I wanted to listen for high tones only and ignore the mid and low tones. I am not really sure it worked because I didn’t dig a single nickel all day. But hey…maybe no nickels passed under my coil?

Now for the good stuff!

It wasn’t 5 minutes into the hunt when I got my first signal. A crusty wheat at about 5 inches down. My second signal was another wheat followed by a penny/dime signal that turned out to be my very first US silver with the impact. A 1902- O Barber Dime at about 7 inches. Talk about stoked! Until yesterday, the only silver I have found with the impact was a Canadian quarter and a silver band at a park.

Not even 10 minutes later I got two signals side by side reading a solid 91. For some reason it was hard to pinpoint but I managed to narrow it down enough to make an educated guess as to where to dig. To my surprise, I retrieved my first silver half of the day sitting on edge at about 5 inches. Now I know why they are called walker halves! If they are on edge, its like chasing a gopher with a blindfold on.

After the walker half episode I milled around the yard aimlessly with no real direction picking up crusty wheats and interestingly enough, very little trash. I guess I was kind of high and I really didn’t care if I found anything else for the day.

Maybe it was that lackadaisical attitude that gave me my third silver and flashbacks of my early years of metal detecting in the 1970’s where a bad day meant less than a couple dollars in silver per hunt. This was turning out to be better than popcorn and hot tub time machine on Netflix as I plucked a 1939 Merc from 4 inches near a tree root.

My final silver of the day came quickly after the Merc. Again, one of those signals that was all over the place in VDI numbers and spread over a pretty tight area of about 9 inches in diameter. Now, this hole was a fun one to dig; every time I used my pinpointer another coin would be found in the hole. I knew the potential for silver was there as no coin pulled from the hole was newer than 1970. So, I stayed focused and methodical with my digging and when the pinpointer went silent a quick sweep of the coil revealed another area of the hole to be searched. This went on for about 15 minutes before a 1968 Kennedy half emerged as pretty as the day it was dropped. It was my fourth and final silver of the day!

Anyhow, I took a quick pic of the coins sitting on the center console of my car before cleaning. I resisted the urge to rub them but still managed to put marks on the Barber dime when I got home. Oh well, at least it’s not a key date!

IMG_2210.JPG

After cleaning the wrong way!
IMG_2218.JPG IMG_2219.JPG

Happy hunting everyone!

Last edited:
Upvote 21

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic day out there ! The Kennedy silver is a tougher find than the Walker ,well done ! Good job also on the merc and Barber .

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunts like that feed the dragon. :thumbsup: Congrats on pulling those 4 silvers and the other keepers. :occasion14: I'd grid that permission in multiple directions.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You rocked it out. (2) BIG silvers... and a Barber.

Big congrats Ammoman

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a HELL YEAH hunt for sure buddy!:headbang: I bet you're liking that Nokta Impact right now.:love4: Great hunting.:icon_thumright:

Jaysix

Dec 14, 2016
Portage, pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac (current)
Garrett At Pro (previous)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing hunt. Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions