Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have found a few of these over the years including one yesterday. Also called crop pickers tokens The initials are for the farm and the number denotes whatever quantity of work that was just completed. Usually for picking, peeling or packing fruits and vegetables(especially tomatoes). These were redeemable for cash, goods at the farm store, or other nearby stores, or even for lodging on the farm. They were in use from after the Civil War and well into the 1900s. Dont see these posted often and was wondering if any other parts of the country have similar farming tokens or if they are unique to the Mid Atlantic area which my research seems to indicate.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    960.4 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
Upvote 26

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man those are some really cool tokens. Congrats on the fist full.

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
If you'd care to delve a bit deeper into the history of these tokens, you should check the libraries in your area for a book called 'Canneries Of The Eastern Shore' by R. Lee Burton, Jr. The book gives lists of most of the canneries in your area and when they were in business.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I love those tokens .. Back in the 1960's and early 70's I hunted a lot in Eastern Maryland and found many of those tokens. Maryland is a hot spot for them, but not the only place that used them.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found a few in Harford County, MD, and a now deceased friend had a huge collection of hundreds of them from Anne Arundel County, MD.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you'd care to delve a bit deeper into the history of these tokens, you should check the libraries in your area for a book called 'Canneries Of The Eastern Shore' by R. Lee Burton, Jr. The book gives lists of most of the canneries in your area and when they were in business.

Thanks. Looks like a great read. I hope a library does have a copy. Amazon wants $179.00 for it!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so which one did you find Yesterday ?

Is this a Proper Todays Post Find or just a Token Find post that Needs to Be moved ?
Not trying to be rude, This just doesn't read like a Today's Finds Post.

the Policy on Todays Finds
Sticky: This is "TODAYS FINDS" not todays posts

Scan.jpg Scan - Copy.jpg

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

billm

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and have a lot of canners directories. Could probably identify a lot of your tokens. The ones pickutured appear to have been from Harford County. The R.T.C. & Co. is most likely R.T. Carr & dates from the 1880s. The E.A. & H.N.B is most likely Baldwin Bros. H.N. Baldwin later canned in Kent County, MD. Would love to see your tokens sometime.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some cool tokens