🥇 BANNER Hurricane irma uncovers 1733 treasure fleet coin, on Friday the 13th !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woooo hoooo !! I got one !! A big old fat, chunky, full size, dated piece of eight cob !! Took 5 hunts after the hurricane to get a cob. Only been out of the sand for an hour. Beautiful low tide hunt at the hurricane hole, wasn't there 45 minutes before I got the cob. Found another strap keeper from the wreck too. What a great morning. photo-676.JPG
photo-677.JPG
Im almost certain this coin will clean up incredibly well as it is a full size piece with a bold strike. Pretty sure its dated 1732, and was pulled from high ground by the hurricane. I found it in ankle deep water at mid tide. Woo hooo !! Got to clean the old girl up. Friday the 13 th was pretty darn lucky for me so far. Nice odd shaped piece. Looks like it came from the middle of the bar !!

Upvote 133

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THAT ANT NOTHING, I GOT A DOZEN COBS AT THE GROCERY STORE< NICE FIND.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1504104
View attachment 1504105
Ya baby, 1732 !! Im so stoked !!! Cleaning right up with boiling water tinfoil and baking soda !!

Awesome! I want to vote Banner but don't want to bring too much attention to the find because you know Florida officials. Once you have it cleaned up, place it in a small brown paper bag and sit it on a window sill that gets a lot of the hot Florida sun. In a few weeks to a month or more, she will tone up nicely and be especially purty.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1504018 man its cleaning up nice. Your right frank never seen one quite that shape before, ill take it though !! Maybe that makes it a bit more desirable ?? Man that made my hurricane !!!

You might want to check with Mel Fisher's Maritime Museum and see if they can shed some light on why it is a rectangle. Have you weighed it yet? Maybe the dimensions has something to do with lower purity Silver and it was made that way to equal 8 Reales.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man.... thanks everyone !! Ive been really trying to get some of the spaniards treasure lately, and the last few hunts have been good. The hurricane taketh away and the hurricane giveth back. Its been pretty good with 4 possibly 5 relics from the galleon survivor camp, and now finally a treasure coin !!! Perfect !!!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank thanks for that toning tip with the brown bag in the window. Never herd that one.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dream find!!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank thanks for that toning tip with the brown bag in the window. Never herd that one.

The heat will actually the coin but the composition of the brown bag breaks down as well due to the heat and the gases released, also aids in the toning. That is how a lot of Coin Dealers make those beautiful rainbow colored Morgan Silver Dollars they sell on eBay for 10 to 40 times what the actual coin is worth. You have to check the coins periodically (i.e. every few days) as sometimes they can come out butt ugly due to the toning.

Frank

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You might want to check with Mel Fisher's Maritime Museum and see if they can shed some light on why it is a rectangle. Have you weighed it yet? Maybe the dimensions has something to do with lower purity Silver and it was made that way to equal 8 Reales.

Frank

The shape is from the ingot used + perhaps a poor strike that didn't flatten it out.

Bart - killer find again buddy. I could hear the excitement in your voice today man. I find that if I make a killer enough find, I can't concentrate and have to just quit too. Congrats and nice cleaning !

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shape is from the ingot used + perhaps a poor strike that didn't flatten it out.

Bart - killer find again buddy. I could hear the excitement in your voice today man. I find that if I make a killer enough find, I can't concentrate and have to just quit too. Congrats and nice cleaning !

Ya man I was pretty excited !!! Clutching the wheel, a cob, and the phone at the same time. Any way keep yor fingers crossed, see ya soon.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY COW Batman!:o Never seen anything so grotesquely large and hideous looking yet FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!:occasion18::laughing9: You have to be experiencing that adrenal rush buzz thing I did a few weeks back when I got my first Shield Nickel. Feels pretty wicked don't it?:hello2: I can say it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. It might not be that log chain size Spanish Gold necklace with the gold cross and precious jewels but, it certainly stands out from most every cob I have seen. I reckon it's a banner worthy recovery if there ever was one. Big time congratulations. Friday the 13th bad luck? HA HA HA LOL BUNK!!!!!!:headbang:

Last edited:

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a nice score right there, congrats on your treasure find. I feel like that should be a banner find, not seen anything like that on this forum before. Just wow...

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there's really only one thing I can do.....ive got to give this to my wife. You see, not only was it friday the 13th..... it was also my wifes birthday. So the odds are almost impossible that I could find a cob on my wifes birthday and on friday the 13th !! She hasnt seen it yet because her and my son are staying at grandmas till our house is repaired from the hurricane. So ive decided to have it mounted for her birthday. photo-682.JPG photo-684.JPG its all cleaned up and ready to go to the jeweler. It should be great for mounting with its odd shape, and it cleaned up well because it had little corrosion from being in a dryer spot before the hurricane. Cant wait to get another one !!

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great coin

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk