Short afterwork hunt brings up really old silver

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short afterwork hunt brings up really old silver!

Got out yesterday for a short 1 hour hunt afterwork with the weather being so nice i couldn't pass it up.

The first target of the day was a nice musket ball, shortly after i got a 1877S seated dime that i brushed pretty bad with my pin pointer but it had seen its fair share of plow strikes so i guess i got lucky twice.
In the mix i picked up a few Linotype machine matrices which i seem to find a bunch of here they are a blast to dig.
I also got a few pocket knife pieces and what i think might be a bent spread out ring but it resembles a staple of some sort who knows could go to a trunk or something.
Among the rest of small scraps of foil and cans i pulled a 1864 IHP and brass thimble which may belong with the last find of the night.

The last plug i popped i saw mangled silver and i instantly knew it wasn't a spoon by the looks but also didn't expect it to be my oldest find to date. I tucked it away carefully and when i got home out comes the most ornate colonial silver bodkin needle one could imagine. Its engraved the entire length and It has the initials H.B. towards the point end. I am hoping with a bit of research i can track down who owned it and what the time period was. So i hope to update you all when i find out.
IMG_9370.JPG
IMG_9377.JPG
IMG_9328.PNG
IMG_9327.PNG
IMG_9380.JPG
IMG_9395.JPG
IMG_9386.JPG
IMG_9399.JPG
IMG_9400.JPG

Upvote 24
OP
OP
S

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ne7.PNG

View attachment 1505416

View attachment 1505414

So after a bit of research i found a name to match the initials H.B. on the bodkin i found last week. I believe its from a woman named Hannah (Kinge)Browne who came to Salem Massachusetts from England in 1635 at the age of 6. She married Lt. Richard Browne around 1650 in Salem Massachusetts. Not long after they came to here to Southold Long Island where they settled for the remainder of their lives. Her husband was a very admired man and was said to own much of the land around here at one time. To think that almost 400 yrs ago someone was escaping to a new world to come make a new life while native americans ruled this island is out of this world.

Last edited:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Short time well spent. Really nice finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread