What coins did I find, pirate stuff, ancient, lost collection?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a new site with a buddy today. Hunted way too long and didn't eat much. Near the water, we were on an old, now long forgotten homestead. Lots of stuff, mainly 19th century. I found these little guys in the sandy soil. The two smallest ones are TINY, maybe 1/4". At first I thought they were trash, but now IMG_0495.jpg IMG_0496.JPG IMG_0491.jpg IMG_0492.jpg IMG_0493.jpg IMG_0494.jpg I think they are Roman. The others, I can't figure out. Both of those look hammered. They were all in a very small area of the site, maybe in a 10' x 10' area. I'm thinking a lost purse, collection or whatever. I'm not sure I have them right side up. I'll try digital microscope pics in the am. Thanks!

BTW way back in 1989, I was digging with someone else at a southern plantation site, the house long gone. My friend found FOUR Roman coins. I about had a cow. THEN I found a 6th Century AD Byzantine coin, which I still have. So I know this weird stuff happens, 2017-1989 = every 28 years???

Upvote 20

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader, thank you. I would have no clue. I assume all of these are inexpensive types, but who cares? I just saw little discs of garbage on the little guys at first. I as apparently wrong.
100% Roman Coins, but without visible legends they will always be best educated guesses.

Most Roman Bronze Coins are worthless unless they are very rare in better than VF condition.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, thank you. I would be clueless on these. I assumed they had almost zero value, but as we all know, that's not the point of digging anyway. Always wanted to go across the pond to dig, but would know where to start.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Genghis the Freakin' Khan" Kurios1 I am not familiar with Gengis the Freakin. What time period? :laughing9:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Mr. Khan. Not the one from Star Trek II. 12th century. Lost out of somebody's coin collection no doubt.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the other thread. I'm in the twilight zone at this time. Want to retire and just go digging from now on. It's not the money, it's the adventure.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PSSSSTTTT. There aren't supposed to be Romans around here. Once every 28 years, I get a real oldie....now for the long wait....

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
No clue what you have recovered or how in the world it landed under your coil? I am flabbergasted at the old 1800's Canadian coins I have managed to recover here in the states and once even got an old 1800's coin from "Lithuania" I believe???? So as to what they are and how they got here will forever remain a mystery. Hopefully Cru or some other experienced hunter of such antiquated coinage will provide you a definitive identification on your tiny treasures. These little gems are why I really do try to dig every repeatable target. Targeting VDI numbers for the common coins will not get you these little wonders. Good recoveries on the little Hammies.:icon_thumright:

Do you have a picture of that one from Lithuania? Lithuania wasn't around at that time (it was taken over by Russia) so it can't be Lithuanian but I would be glad to help you ID that coin.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the old Russian coins are really neat. I don't have any....mainly just what I find, although one day I'll but a few of the hard to get kind....maybe. They're expensive and I don't know if I want a type set yet. I did buy some broken pieces of Roman Samian pottery, if I spelled that right to stick in a display box, wasn't expensive. Don't think I'll get across the pond to try and find my own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions