found at yard sale

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
i found these at a yard sale on friday...marble king error marbles from 2001....the guy was an ex-employee of the marble king factory and i got a gallon of these rare chocolate swirls for $5....brown is one of the rarest colors...true orange is another....right now these mibs fetch 3-5$ each....
newvmkchocolateswirls.jpg

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duufy,
Very nice. I've NEVER seen marbles that color. Great find.
-MM-

OP
OP
duffytrash

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
thanks doug...its nice to find them ol marblemakers yard sales...lolol....he had buckets of stuff but mostly common....

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I can see some are off round. Would that make them worth more?

OP
OP
duffytrash

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
the error part comes in that they were supposed to be yellow/black bumblebees.....the batcher didnt get the mix right and they turned out brown... i dont know the elements they use to get the right colors and only a few people know the mixes...and they are trade secrets..they gotta be added at the right temp and in the proper amounts...when they make errors theyre supposed to be destroyed somehow, but these came home with the worker....now i got em....the errors are sought after because the numbers are limited...much like the coin errors...at the next show ill probably sell these out quick....its a lucky find and one of the benefits of livin near the marble factory...in the past like in the 60s they would dumps errrors in the creek and the river but nowadays the government [e.p.a.] keeps a close watch over that kinda stuff..you know how that goes...the factory dont sell errors cause all their marbles are patented and not knowin the mix it would be too expensive to try to get the colors right so its cheaper to do away with them...

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
A True treasure hunt5er always has their eyes open for the prize.
It's nice to see a True treasure hunter at work!!! ;D ;D ;D

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:o Great eyes Duffy. You should make a few bucks on that gallon. WTG
Never stop hunting...........

Desretfox

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great marbles. How do they get that colour in anyway ??? I always thought it was a sliver of some plastic moulded inside the glass ::)

Can anybody tell us about how marbles are made?

God bless
Peter

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
That was a cool video!

I'm a marble collector now! Thanks!

Ridley

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Duffy -

Great find! That must have been exciting to know you were getting some great marbles.

You are the marble king - glad you posted... and thanks for helping me in the past with my marble question...

Jim

Excellent vid BADDOG! Thanks...

OP
OP
duffytrash

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
that video was made at reno ohio art jabo...i was there the day the film crew was there...they were french canadians....very kewl guys...i got 2 cases of the marbles made that day....

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes!!! After watching that video, I have a MUCH greater appreciation of marbles. After all of the labor that went into making some of those, I'd want $100 a piece for them. ;D

Duffy & Baddog - Thanks.
-MM-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Holy smokes!!! After watching that video, I have a MUCH greater appreciation of marbles. After all of the labor that went into making some of those, I'd want $100 a piece for them. ;D

Duffy & Baddog - Thanks.
-MM-

Ditto MM! 8)

Those are some GREAT finds, Duffy! Thanks for sharing and thanks for all the help ID'ing too! :)

Super video too BD!

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread