Weekend Update. Hey IdahoToken Man!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. Got some much needed therapy today. Hit a field in my old home town I grew up in. It hasn't been planted in a few years and is a nightmare to hunt. I know there are some good targets in here so I torture myself to get to them. Cool find of the day was "The Sportsman's Home" token from Apple Bros. in Sterling, Illinois. It came out looking like a nickel but, the VDI numbers showed higher value so I knew it was something different. Found a broken piece of Model T Ford bearing cap. I believe I have another Model T Ford part in here too. Can't recall exactly what it is? Points? Was really hoping for some coins in this field but, with all the nasty twigs, trees, and other vegetation it's nearly impossible to detect much of it. The two barely wheat pennies came from my other field on Friday's hunt. Lot's of weird field finds. I was getting a bit stir crazy not being able to hunt yesterday due to rain. I was glad to get out today and relax a bit. Thanks for stopping by. Kurios1

Amboy Parker Field 007.JPG Amboy Parker Field 004.JPG Amboy Parker Field 005.JPG Amboy Parker Field 006.JPG Amboy Parker Field 003.JPG Amboy Parker Field 008.JPG Amboy Parker Field 011.JPG Amboy Parker Field 012.JPG Amboy Parker Field 013.JPG Amboy Parker Field 014.JPG Amboy Parker Field 009.JPG

Upvote 18
OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a nice assortment you found! Good job!

I don't seem to have any trouble finding "stuff". He Hee! Just wish the stuff would be old coinage or buttons. Happy getting the one cool token coin today though. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other Ford thing is a vibrator contact off a coil box on a early model t. Very Nice finds!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
That token would have made my day! Couldn't help but notice that pulltab has some age to it too! Looks like one I use to pull off my grandpa's Schlitz can when I would sit on his lap to watch the Cub's game! I know, just a pulltab but it brought back a good memory:icon_thumright:. Glad you got out on that blustery day!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that token rocks. Hope that you get a pocket full of old coins and buttons next time out.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not everyday one gets a great looking token, and one that can be added to the image bank of tokens. That alone would a smile on many hunters mug-at least it would put a happy face on my day.
You seem have a "NOSE" for sniffing out the finds ( reference to the little nose between the bearing and valve) :)
Funny you kind of expressed what I was thinking but why not more coinage. You said - "Just wish the stuff would be old coinage or buttons?"

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful token! I like them more than most coins:) Now I know what those coil contacts are!!! I can tell you are having fun!! Congrats

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic of the Apple Bros. Saloon store front (scroll down):
Business Individual, Sterling, Illinois, Apple Brothers Saloon building :: Sterling and Rock Falls Local History Collection
The Saloon was in the Kannaly building located on W.3rd Street.
Don.......

Oh My WORD! This is SO COOL! Thanks Don. Elk antlers covering the front window and stuffed Turkey Buzzard hanging over the front entrance!!!:headbang: Looks like it was a great place back in the day. I will most definitely look it up next time I am in Sterling to see what has become of it now. Thanks again. You need a foot massage just let me know!!!:tongue3::laughing9:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A for effort! You earned it! Wow!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful token! I like them more than most coins:) Now I know what those coil contacts are!!! I can tell you are having fun!! Congrats

Thanks mate. Since I returned a pair of old Brass Railroad Baggage tags to a family member and acquired loads of farm field to hunt my strategy has shifted pretty dramatically. Instead of working tired old sod permissions or hoping to squeak out another keeper from a park I am targeting "hot zones" in fields. "Hot" meaning ANY dense areas of any metal but, mainly iron. Surface scraps too identify possible hot spots. I am having fun but, also meticulously removing iron and various other trash in hopes of unmasking something cool, round, shiny, old underneath. Future hunts in the coming years hopefully will continue to produce more keepers as the iron and trash becomes less. Love using my Red Wings to kick & stomp some dirt clods!:headbang:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A for effort! You earned it! Wow!

Thanks buddy. If you look carefully at the first picture from ground level you can get an "idea" what swinging a coil through this "crap" might be like. Well, using my 5.5" x 10" coil was like the coil was a "pinball" bouncing off of every twig, sapling, clover, and a multitude of nasty vegetation. I will be switching to the Nel Snake coil for future hunts here just to try and "jab" me a coin from any tiny opening in the scrub. I hope they get back to planting here. The spring planting got destroyed a year or so ago as the Green River runs along this field and can flood right up into the city park completely submerging the field. :hello:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread