paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In many thousands of plugs that I've dug, this is far and away the weirdest thing that has popped out.

DSC03319.JPG

I was digging for a large deep signal (ended up being iron sheet at about 10"), but when I flipped the plug over this literally fell out. It's a solid glass cube with beveled edges. Here it is again under normal light:

DSC03321.JPG

And here it is under UV light:

DSC03324.JPG

So awesome! I had a hunch that it was uranium glass (also knows as vaseline or depression glass) when I dug it, but the fluorescence under UV light is an easy test to confirm it. This type of glass was popular from the 1880's to 1920's and was made by adding uranium dioxide to the glass to impart the characteristic yellow/green color. That does make it mildly radioactive, but the uranium is chemically bonded to the glass so under normal conditions it can't leach out or cause any harm.

DSC03325.JPG DSC03326.JPG

It was used for all sorts of decorative glassware, but most of what I've seen up until now were plates, vases, and bowls. This is the first I've ever seen that's just a purely decorative cube, but I guess it could have been a paperweight or a sample piece put out by the glass-works to show off their product.

I found a few other less odd, but still fun pieces during the hunt. My first full utensil set!

DSC03328.JPG

There was also this very neat cast iron toy plane.

DSC03327.JPG

This larger button has a brass front, but an iron back and sounds hollow.

DSC03329.JPG DSC03330.JPG

This was also a strange find. I found these pewter fragments broken apart, but close together and the same area and the design looks a little like the US treasury off the older $10 bill reverse engraving. Does that seem accurate?

DSC03331.JPG DSC03332.JPG

At any rate, quite the memorable hunt and I'm eagerly awaiting more rain so I can hit some of the deeper signals in this yard!

Upvote 43

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kriptonite orange juice......fresh squeezed !!
I think il stick with my sunkist dont want to glow green like the glass haha

That's an awesome find! I wonder if Corning used to make uranium glass; it would be even cooler if these were locally made pieces.
Thank you ! The juicer was found in Schoharie county. Not sure how close they are from each other? Yours would make a great paperweight on a desk

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I had a match to your pewter finds but mine shows The Capital ( it is labeled in the area below the building ) and is five inches in diameter . I found almost all the pieces though I never researched it. Since yours shows a different building , there may have been a series of them made.

Actually I think that's it! On mine the dome is just missing, but building's facade is the same. Thank you so much for posting that; it looks like I have more pieces to recover. :laughing7:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The back mark appears to be A.C. Bosselman & Co New York; a souvenir maker and importer active between 1905-1914. I did have one piece with fragments of lettering; I'll see if they match a section of that mark.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should zap that cube with a laser and see what happens, nice finds

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That IS unusual....and the glass actually sent a signal to the detector or as it near other metal? Very cool! My first thought was...."Where's Superman?" but as Rbowtie97 suggested...maybe kryptonite [emoji6]

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That IS unusual....and the glass actually sent a signal to the detector or as it near other metal? Very cool! My first thought was...."Where's Superman?" but as Rbowtie97 suggested...maybe kryptonite [emoji6]

No it didn't ring up on my detector i left it at home that day. It was an eyeball find in an old glass dump. I just kept it because the green glass looked cool. On the same trip i eyeballed a rusty old band-aid tin turned emergency kit wrapped in tape. On the ride back to the house on the gator the last day of the trip i looked inside and there was a 54 silver dime tucked in the bottom.That sealed the deal on that trip as we packed up and left for home 20 mins later. Its nice when you find it but even nicer when it finds you!

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. That cube.

Don't have any clue what the heck it is...but would love to find one.

I dub it the shiny, glowing cube of awesomeness.

Great find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread