Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"the amazing travels of a cornish 49er and tragic end" story, pics and finds

William Cocks born to a poor coal mining family near Penzance, Cornwall ,UK. As a child worked in the local coal mines and learnt the trade of miner.These miners were poorly paid and quite a few years of hard work to aquire the money to start a life elsewhere.On hearing about the California gold rush,he set out to make fame and fortune.The skills of a good miner he tried his luck. Cornish miners are famous for their mining skills.Moderate yeilds came and the alluvial started to run out.New stories of gold rushes in Australia had caught his attention and on the move again.After a 5 week trip by sea in poor conditions, he found himself at Port philip [Melbourne].With more than 16 gold rushs on at the same time it would have been hard to chose ,which direction to go.he decided to head to bendigo.Cocks pegged a claim a place called Derwent gully named after the inventer of a cornish mining engine in 1846.

Couple of thousand people held claims at the Derwent gully and at times queued in lines to get to creek to pan the gravel.Often waited many hours.

I went to the Derwent Gully today and i know that little or no gold was left there but i had a good chance of some relics.The miners here were good at mining and the pics of the site clearly so that "everything" was mined to the bedrock and no stone was left unturned.once this place was a forrest of ironbark gum trees and not one has grown back after 150 years.

Found a couple of colonial coppers and shards but no gold.There a pic of a quartz reef surfacing but no gold to be found.

tinpan

Attachments

• pa2.jpg
    pa2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 422
  • white hills.jpg
    white hills.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 425
  • white hills 2.jpg
    white hills 2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 427
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "the amazing travels of a cornish 49er and tragic end" story, pics and finds

pics

Attachments

• pa3.jpg
    pa3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 424
  • pa5.jpg
    pa5.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 416
  • na6.jpg
    na6.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 427
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "the amazing travels of a cornish 49er and tragic end" story, pics and finds

pic

Attachments

• pa4 (3).jpg
    pa4 (3).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 421

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Thanks for the history lesson. It's always nice to know a story when looking into an area!
Nice coppers too.

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heres a pic of the quartz reef surfacing

Attachments

• na4.jpg
    na4.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 407

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome post TP, very nice!!! HH, Mike

staceysallaboutu

Jul 9, 2006
Fonda, New York
Detector(s) used
White xlt/Minelab Quattro

Great story and pictures thanks i enjoyed them..

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Very cool Story and photos Tinny. You sure have some great stories behind your digs! I have really learned alot of interesting history from you.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi Tinnie,
Great History lesson... I have been to Cornwall on many occasions, great area and coastline.
Nice coins also.

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread