Amber< Copal < & now Rosin

Oct 17, 2017
Hilton Head, SC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good evening Ladies and gentlemen,

I am going to try and do my introduction and plea for help in one post. I am a diver in South Carolina averaging 60-100 dives a year I do black water diving for fossils and the megalodon teeth I also do a lot of Spearfishing. I have however come across something so odd and rare it has taken me a month just to get a decisive answer of what the heck it is.
After Hurricane Irma blew through I was walking the beach covered in huge sea shells and found a 125 Quart Yeti Cooler and a 135 pound chunk of Rosin. The Yeti was exciting enough until I found the heavy mass that looked like a fossilized sea turtle. I dragged the mass home cleaned it up and was left with something I thought was Amber. I pain an "expert" in Savannah $100 who told me it was Copal. Not millions of dollars but still $10K+ I still needed scientific proof though so I mailed a small piece of it to Poland where it was tested and they told me it was just Rosin and didn't even bother to bill me for the information.
Now I am left with a 32" long 24" wide and 10" thick piece of Rosin in my dining room and i'm wondering if I should just toss the thing.

It has obviously spent a good amount of time in the ocean. The Runa shipwreck off of Wilmington is not far from me and the Savannah harbor was a huge exporter of the stuff a century ago. So it could be form either. So please tell me do I have something or did I waste $50 building a crate to cary it in plus the $100 to the "expert" in Savannah.

IMG_1477.JPG
21985770_1990080597944065_263932580_o.jpg Glowing photo.jpg IMG_2086.jpg

Upvote 9

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's cool as hell and what a great example of when the longleaf pine ruled the South.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotta be worth something to someone

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like ambergris to me. if it is, check the laws about it. It varies a lot. many places its illegal to sell.

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Find a local "sculptor" turn it into art, sell it split the cash.

It would make an Awesome sea turtle sculpture.

Cool find.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like ambergris to me. if it is, check the laws about it. It varies a lot. many places its illegal to sell.
He would be able to smell it, if that were true.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He would be able to smell it, if that were true.

Hmmm, thats true. He didnt mention any odor. If it is copal, it looks like it sells online for $10 - $15 per pound. So 135 pound of copal could be broken up and sold for at least $1350. Thats a treasure in my book!

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a rockhound, it doesn't matter to me what the heck it is! It's BA that's for sure, somebody will buy it for carving material then sell it as amber, happens all the time.

OP
OP
S
Oct 17, 2017
Hilton Head, SC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the feedback it's been an ordeal to just establish its Rosin. I sent a piece of it to the International Amber Association in Poland, they are considered the experts in all things resin. Thats where I finally got the rosin answer. It has a pine smell and passes all the Copal tests except for bing sticky at room temperature, and being too clear. If it were Copal it would have bugs, dirt, leaves, etc inside of it. I'm wondering if it could be from a ship wreck like the Runa. Check out the photos from a divers video... I don't think it would polish up too well for long it seems to slowly gain a blue tarnish anywhere it breaks.
Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 8.13.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 8.12.32 PM.png

awdw

Jun 19, 2017
Awendaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to catch pieces of it from time to time on the shrimp boat. This was working between charleston and bulls bay. We used it for fire starter(fat lighter on Steroids).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread