Connecticut copper, 17th-18th century Fur Trade ring, lead token.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wanted to share some of the most interesting finds from 2 recent hunts.

Firstly, a beautiful copper Native Fur Trade ring. Dug it recently, but as part of the deal with the land owner temporarily left it to him as he wanted to show it to his friends. Glad it came back to me undamaged as it's extremely fragile. I took some picks in the state I dug it, before starting the long cleaning process. After confirming with an expert, it dates from late 1600's to early 1700's

Ring before the cleaning, as it looked like coming out of the ground.

123.jpg

And after cleaning.

20170702_212518.jpg

I took a pic of it next to a similar but a bit later silver type I have found a few weeks ago.

20171017_211556.jpg

An other interesting find, this one from the week end hunt. My very first Connecticut copper 1786 ''Hercules Head'' type. Unfortunately cannot I.D. it any further as the other side is completely flat. Thanks to Iron Patch for the help with I.D.

20171014_161737.jpg
20171014_195442.jpg

Again, from this week end a mystery item. Looks like a large lead bale seal or some type of token. Never seen anything similar.

20171017_211643.jpg 20171017_211647.jpg
20171017_211658 (1).jpg

Also got a few musket balls, flat buttons and clay pipes. Not many keepers but I really enjoyed the hunt.

Thanks for the comments.

Upvote 34
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great brass trade ring - what a beauty along side of the silver one. Still so high on the list I have to quite wishing for anything trade related it seems.
WTG on the Connecticut copper a very nice find for up here, and whats there not to like about getting a first.
Not sure on the lead item, seal/trade weight/gaming token/top off a bottle stopper? Honker in size, but the rough back throws me off. Very cool recovery.
You always seem to get one or two really nice keepers from an outing, enough to keep the itch scratched. Well done!

Yes, they are side by side in my display now and look very well together. It's my first silver Trade ring and second Fur Trade silver object. I'm more and more convinced everyday that it's the period I would like to start seriously collecting.
That lead object is nice as it comes from a very early site and has this mystery surrounding it's use.
Thank you for your comment and I hope you get your Fur Trade find soon.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you give that ring to your sweetie now, when the heart is facing the body, that means they're taken, when facing away it means they are looking for love.

Thanks for the comment. I'll think about, it's a very fragile ring. Maybe the silver one.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its not a lead bag or cloth seal, or a lead token as its twice the normal thickness. You can see it was poured into a basic half mould from the reverse, which shows signs of adding metal at different times in the process. This to me points towards trying to achieve a given weight, & therefore my conclusion is a home-made Trade Weight.

Thanks. It could very well be. I never seen anything similar.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great recoveries as usual. How did you clean the ring?

Fantastic to see a Conn copper make it up there. Wish we had a map of their distribution across N. America...I believe the farthest south I recall one being excavated was N. Carolina.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
those rings are so great, amazing they survived so long unbroken
well done on the copper too!

Thanks.
I don't think they would in the field, at least not the copper the one,that's for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread