Big box under two large oak trees..

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Ca foot hills. (Central ca.)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and tesoro compadre minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stop by to detect an empty lot near a river on my way home wasn't finding much walked over to two large oak trees and got a big signal and pinpoint mode showed was at least a few feet diameter
Started digging and at @8" came to metal plate.
At first I thought it could be a street sign or some random trash. But then came to corner and noticed it was a box
IMG_3700.JPG

Kept digging with my small pick axe and got most of the box exposed. I was worn out digging this up and somewhat nervous/excited to find out what's inside.
Treasure? Body? Bug-out box?
IMG_3704.JPG IMG_3706.JPG
Pry up a corner and open it up.. I see a tarp and lots of dead maggots [emoji15]
Now I'm not that excited anymore [emoji43]

I have to find out what's inside the tarp so poke the pick axe and move tarp over.
I see vertebrae bones and then to my relief the long jawbone of what looks to be a canine
[emoji28]
I say "sorry puppy dog" and put the lid back on, cover with soil and walk away completely exhausted emotionally and physically
Who has done that before?
IMG_3707.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 13

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little did Foot Hill know that beneath the remains of the dead dog was a king's ransom in gold coins, cash, and diamonds. A great way to make sure nobody finds your treasure - bury it beneath something gross.:laughing7:

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did that once. There was a coin spill on top of a dead dog. Thankfully it was far since rotted away

BeenFishin

Apr 19, 2016
Eastern Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a tin of cremated ashes once. I dug up a tin with a bag in it and what seemed to be some type of dust. I brought it to the home owner to show her and she clued me in to what it might be. There werent enough ashes to be from a person and they were also in a small tin that seemed to have dogs on it. It wasnt from her or her family so it must have been pretty old. Oh well. You win some you lose some.

clifdweller

Aug 18, 2017
southwest
Detector(s) used
dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Three points:
1; Those pets aren't coming back to get you. Remember, they were "man's best friends". They understand our foibles so they are very forgiving.
2: We can all take a lesson from this; mark the gravesite for others.
3: Use a non-metal coffin and tell others to do likewise.

clifdweller

Aug 18, 2017
southwest
Detector(s) used
dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you don't want to use an above ground marker you can put some kind of marker just below the surface (non-metal) that the digger will find long before reaching the coffin.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THAT IS A CREEPY FIND BUT WITH YOUR DIRECT RESPECT WILL PASS WITH TIME>

WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug up a dang dead horse one time. It was OLD, wasn't sure what it was until I hit a horse shoe.

I also dug up a dead horse....long dead....found horseshoes and jawbones, one horseshoe still had some hoof in it. Keep some knarly looking teeth, I chase my 10 year old around the house with them!

OP
OP
Foot hill

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the parrot, I think his name was Fredo?

Ha. I do like Seinfeld so I'll have to find that one. My wife laughed at me when I came home all sweaty and exhausted so I'm sure she'll enjoy the episode too 🤣

OP
OP
Foot hill

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats a good way to disguise the real treasure.

This reply almost got me to go back with shovel, seriously! That is a practical way to keep stuff safe. [emoji848]
I'm leaving that puppy dog alone but.. definitely made me think :)

OP
OP
Foot hill

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awwww...Sorry to hear the end of your story. It is a nice resting spot for someone's best canine friend....I can imagine what was racing through your mind the whole while!

Thanks!
I was almost experiencing a near panic attack, part exhaustion part "what the "f" am I going to find? [emoji15]

OP
OP
Foot hill

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found 3 different small metal containers, which acted as urns for the cremated remains of peoples animals. They were all found in Forest Preserves, where i am assuming the pet owners use to walk their faithful companions. All were found in different Forest Preserves over the course of many years. Each one had a picture of the dog and their dog tags in the urn. I did the same thing as you. Just said "oops" and re-buried the containers. Digging stuff like that up, does make for an interesting story. And by the way, I have also found a dead human body. It just wasn't buried. Poor lady was murdered and dumped. Luckily I came upon her within 24 hours of her murder, and it was in late October 10 years ago, so the body was not decomposed.

Wow! Something I often think about while roaming the woods just don't want to ever find something like that. I've got a pretty week stomach and that dog was about all I could take. Took a long shower after reaching into that box lol.

OP
OP
Foot hill

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Three points:
1; Those pets aren't coming back to get you. Remember, they were "man's best friends". They understand our foibles so they are very forgiving.
2: We can all take a lesson from this; mark the gravesite for others.
3: Use a non-metal coffin and tell others to do likewise.

Ok. I feel better about what "against the wind" said now [emoji28]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions