Big box under two large oak trees..

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Ca foot hills. (Central ca.)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and tesoro compadre minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stop by to detect an empty lot near a river on my way home wasn't finding much walked over to two large oak trees and got a big signal and pinpoint mode showed was at least a few feet diameter
Started digging and at @8" came to metal plate.
At first I thought it could be a street sign or some random trash. But then came to corner and noticed it was a box
IMG_3700.JPG

Kept digging with my small pick axe and got most of the box exposed. I was worn out digging this up and somewhat nervous/excited to find out what's inside.
Treasure? Body? Bug-out box?
IMG_3704.JPG IMG_3706.JPG
Pry up a corner and open it up.. I see a tarp and lots of dead maggots [emoji15]
Now I'm not that excited anymore [emoji43]

I have to find out what's inside the tarp so poke the pick axe and move tarp over.
I see vertebrae bones and then to my relief the long jawbone of what looks to be a canine
[emoji28]
I say "sorry puppy dog" and put the lid back on, cover with soil and walk away completely exhausted emotionally and physically
Who has done that before?
IMG_3707.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 13

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the parrot, I think his name was Fredo?

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooy I havent..
Sorry for your loss of buried treasure..

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a good way to disguise the real treasure.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awwww...Sorry to hear the end of your story. It is a nice resting spot for someone's best canine friend....I can imagine what was racing through your mind the whole while!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RIP
It's not what one hopes for and least expects when digging, a surreal moment when the actual final ID happens. I've dug a few but long past decomposing stage just bones and the collar tags for the pet, each time leaving as is, an apology to the pet and a cover up. Dug down over a foot and a half one time, got the glimpse of chrome bars (animal crate/cage) "OK I think I'll stop right there" was the comment out loud in the bush.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Dug up a dang dead horse one time. It was OLD, wasn't sure what it was until I hit a horse shoe.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 3 different small metal containers, which acted as urns for the cremated remains of peoples animals. They were all found in Forest Preserves, where i am assuming the pet owners use to walk their faithful companions. All were found in different Forest Preserves over the course of many years. Each one had a picture of the dog and their dog tags in the urn. I did the same thing as you. Just said "oops" and re-buried the containers. Digging stuff like that up, does make for an interesting story. And by the way, I have also found a dead human body. It just wasn't buried. Poor lady was murdered and dumped. Luckily I came upon her within 24 hours of her murder, and it was in late October 10 years ago, so the body was not decomposed.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Omg I have always wondered if anyone on here had found a murder victim. I guess I have my answer.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Thankful as "hello" kitty it's never happened to me and pray that never does. One thing to stumble upon bones. Different ball game digging up a pets coffin. And Lawdy please don't let me stumble upon a dead body.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near the high water mark of a reservoir built in the 30's, got a signal and dug maybe 8'' and uncovered a corner of a wooden box, no lid, dug more into the packed clay, found some smaller bones, Hmmm...some lead sheathing, green brass handle, bones? An unknown grave. Yup, OK, it was about a 100' downhill beyond a fence for a 1850's and later cemetery. Put everything back, covered it up with rocks and rubble as it had been, and moved on.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'll chime in with my story. It wasn't a dig, but I thought it was something good. As I was driving to my exchange office I took care of I saw a nice cardboard box along the road that I thought looked like it may have fallen off a truck or something. It looked taped and sealed neatly so after driving past this several days, I had to stop and check it out. It turned out to be a dead cat in the box.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omg I have always wondered if anyone on here had found a murder victim. I guess I have my answer.

I have never found a murder victim but, i did find the remains of 3 WWII Japanese soldiers when i was living on Guam.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ache talked about the Sienfeld parrot. Funny story, my friend lived along the Severn River in Maryland...in his backyard was an engraved headstone for a parrot, previous owner loved it so much he purchased a headstone with the photo of it engraved. People love their pets, I know I do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread