Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Forum,

I was walking on a trail in the woods, and I found my first V Nickel! It came out of the ground sort of red. Here it is cleaned up. Can anyone tell me if there is a good way to clean it up more? Thanks for looking! IMG_1004.JPG

Upvote 14

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nickels always come out toasty as all get out. I don't know of a way to clean it up more with out damaging it like tumbling or polishing could. I personally like the red patina and try to keep it if i can.

ohiodigit

Dec 31, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn’t do a thing to it. It looks good the way it is. The more I try to clean coins the worse they become lol learned my lesson, finally

OP
OP
Cantstopdigging

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the input. The reason I ask, is that the V on the reverse side is barely noticeable.

OP
OP
Cantstopdigging

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it was when it came out of the hard packed clay like soil.
IMG_1003.JPG

OP
OP
Cantstopdigging

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, I like the way yours has the detail around the perimeter or outer edges of the coin. Mine is so worn. I hope I didn't destroy it. I used soap and water and a tooth pick. when that didn't seem so do much I used Hydrogen Peroxide and vinegar.

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So if I have a coin that I want to clean up to see the details, I use a dremel tool with either a wire-wheel bit or a nylon brush bit. Yeah I know you aren't "supposed" to clean coins....but if it is a NON key-date coin like a 1908 V NICK, who cares!?!? I'd rather be able to see my coin than look at a crusty red hunk. That's just my opinion! However, if it's like the 1921-D Mercury dime I found: DONT DO A THING!!! Maybe a water rinse and that's it! Put inside a case and leave it be ;) good luck!

OP
OP
Cantstopdigging

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. If you cant read it, or see any details that is no good. They were two short baths amounting to maybe 30 minutes. I didn't leave it overnight or anything. If it was silver, I would not have done it.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I have a coin that I want to clean up to see the details, I use a dremel tool with either a wire-wheel bit or a nylon brush bit. Yeah I know you aren't "supposed" to clean coins....but if it is a NON key-date coin like a 1908 V NICK, who cares!?!? I'd rather be able to see my coin than look at a crusty red hunk. That's just my opinion! However, if it's like the 1921-D Mercury dime I found: DONT DO A THING!!! Maybe a water rinse and that's it! Put inside a case and leave it be ;) good luck!

hey i got one of those, 1921d, had no idea it was worth anything till i got home,

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine was super toasty. Yours looks better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread