Dirty Silver

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got back out today to do some more metal detecting to see if I could find some more silver coins. I was doing a lot of cherry picking today and not much digging. When I finally did get my search coil over what thought was likely a silver coin, it almost went into the finds pouch instead of the water bottle that I put my silver coins in. After a closer look and a little rubbing I saw the date, 1953.

Silver coins in my area usually come out of the ground all nice and clean like they were just dropped. Every once in awhile I will find a silver coin that's tarnished. They're really hard to clean. Any pointers on cleaning them would be welcome and appreciated.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    947.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    289.1 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 14
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Everyone! I decided to bury the dirty silver quarter rather than spend time trying to clean it.

I need a silver quarter for my coin test garden, so I'm going use this one.

tabman

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I found a merc and a wheat today you beat me by 14 cents lol

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL!!!! I just went out to my storage room to look in the coffee can that I threw my clad coins in from today's hunt. The reason that I did so was because today when I dug a dime I decided that it wasn't silver because it was so tarnished and I thought the date I saw was 1977. I left my little magnifying loop at home. Since I dug the tarnished silver quarter, I got to thinking that I might should take a second look with my magnifying glass. Damn, I found 2 silver Rosie dimes (1957 & 1959). Something in that yard was really causing them to tarnish.

I'm thinking that the 1959 Rosie came from my previous hunt when I found the Morgan silver dollar and 3 Washington quarters.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries Tab...while I'm not into polishing my silver, I do like them to look nice...I mean-we do work hard for them! Ive found a few silvers like that, probably not that tarnished but I use a chrome/aluminum polish called Simichrome. A LITTLE dab with a moist, soft toothbrush works wonders. I hit it just enough to remove the tarnish but not polish it to a mirror sheen, it's not a key or semi-key date so have at it. Congrats on adding to the silver stack...Ddf

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cant all be shiny Tabman, but at least its still a silver ! Nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread