GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I got an invite to hunt an old house site here in Southwest Georgia. The home is vacant, long ago abandoned and about to fall down. Looking at the building materials and style I would say that it appears to have been built in the mid 1800's. There wasn't a lot of area to hunt due to 6 foot weeds and downed trees but, the land owner had recently made a fire break around the structure so that where I headed first. I was there about ten or fifteen minutes and got a shallow good sounding target. Turns out it is the the police chief's badge from Parrott Georgia. Parrott hasn't had a police department in a very long time. I would have never thought that this would be here but it was. I'm guessing this badge dates in the 1940s-50? However, I'm not really sure of an age though and would like some opinions. For those who have never visited Parrott, it is a very small town (Population 156) in Terrell County Georgia.

Attachments

• Parrott Police Chief Badge (2).JPG
    Parrott Police Chief Badge (2).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 164
  • Parrott Police Chief Badge (1).JPG
    Parrott Police Chief Badge (1).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Parrott Police Chief Badge (4).JPG
    Parrott Police Chief Badge (4).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Parrott Police Chief Badge (3).JPG
    Parrott Police Chief Badge (3).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 43

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parrott was founded in 1889. The movie "The Long Riders" was filmed there in 1979. The population went from 267 in 1900 to a high of 383 in 1930 after which it started to decline. It was 222 in 1970/80 and dropped to 149 in 1990. I would guess your badge would fall between 1930 and 1980. I know that's a long time frame but it's the best I can come up with.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concur with fyrfytr1 on the badge's approximate age. The "ball" catch of the fastening system on the reverse was popular during those decades. Since it was missing the entire pin, the mystery of how it became lost is pretty cut and dry. The pin remained in the Chief's jacket or shirt and the rest of the badge went flying! A fantastic find, congrats! Looks like an east coast manufacturer, based on design, such as Blackinton or similar. Sub :headbang:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth a bit to badge collectors. its rare. No badge number so obviously a VERY small department!

YBnormal

Oct 21, 2017
Albany Ga.
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Troy Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Dude you are Killing ME!,,,, Danger, Danger,, Members beware, Don't hunt with this guy, he will suck the ground DRY!

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love the badge, I have my Dads Chief of Police Badge.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a very cool find!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe the town would like to buy it back for history------

OR_________________ go out and get some THUGS :blackbeard:, wanna buy my cuffs ??? :laughing9:

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty unique find there for sure. Makes you wonder.....now, how did that end up there?:dontknow:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great find !!!!! Congrats !!!!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So interesting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread