Another multi silver day for the Silver Fiend

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I had the chance go hunting again at my "hunted out spot" that I had such great success at last Saturday. Today's hunt was no disappointment either. Last week started out great and then tapered off. Today started slow but the finds just kept coming.

8 wheaties and an Indian, all with that beautiful deep green patina. Then 6 silver with 3 Barbers (this place was a Barber haven in the past for me) 2 mercuries and a lone rosy for the dime trifecta. Silver number 7 was a small sterling earring.

20171021_200054.jpg

When I got home from the hunt I found my new coffee mugs waiting for me!

20171021_193857.jpg
20171021_193911.jpg
20171021_194158.jpg

Upvote 32

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can picture waking up tomorrow with the new silver fiend mug, having a coffee and checking out the new silver finds !! Hell ya nice hunt. Congrats.

rickb2202

Jan 30, 2015
nuevo mexico
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW ! VERY NICE !!! MUST HAVE BEEN A VERY BUSY PLACE AROUND 1920. WAS IT AN OIL FIELD TOWN?.

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can picture waking up tomorrow with the new silver fiend mug, having a coffee and checking out the new silver finds !! Hell ya nice hunt. Congrats.

I have the power to make that happen. I actually ordered a few so i could give some away :occasion14:

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW ! VERY NICE !!! MUST HAVE BEEN A VERY BUSY PLACE AROUND 1920. WAS IT AN OIL FIELD TOWN?.

Well, it was around during the oil boom :thumbsup:

I haven't actually looked at population numbers to see when the heyday for this place was.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that turquoise? I think I found the matching ring. Awesome finds. That’s a nice pull of silver. 400F2425-A2BC-48BD-AFA9-B270C94B6369.jpeg

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love those hunted out spots, just nothing there, congratulations on your nice finds!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, great mug!

-- Jeff --

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats...great hunt!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver haul, and getting the mug done.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's another damn good outing there! It's mind blowing what's still in the ground,and it really seems to be in about every place it could be. What coil did you have on?

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonder how long it would take to fill that cup with silver ? Not to long for you...Great finds for the. SILVER FIEND...

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's another damn good outing there! It's mind blowing what's still in the ground,and it really seems to be in about every place it could be. What coil did you have on?

I was using the stock 11" coil on my CTX. Coil selection is a tough choice for this place. Usage goes back to the 1890s. Some parts are fairly trash free, so you want to go big and get max depth and coverage, but other parts are very trashy and you might want to go to a smaller coil for separation. But then you look at the amount of ground there is to cover and you hate to be stuck trying to cover ground 4 - 5 inches at a time.

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I get it. What's it's considered hunted out, that's when the good start's showing up:laughing7:. Great hunt!

Thats the crazy thing. Evan (GoneHunting for History) and I first hunted this place several years ago. We pulled a LOT of keepers. One section had Barbers and Indians barely under the surface. I pulled more barbers than any other type of silver. We were convinced that this place had very little hunting pressure in the past. We hunted it all day long, every week for months until we just werent finding anything else old. I tried going back a few times afterward with very little success. It wasn't worth my travel time to make special trips. I only hunted it again last week because I had to be in the area on business. I knew I would have some time to kill so I would try detecting it again. Last week I was just randomly walking around the best section from the old hunts. Yesterday I picked another spot and was carefully gridding it out, trying to cover every inch.

I've been mulling how this place can go from "worked out" by 2 experienced hunters using top of the line machines, to suddenly producing again like this. We didn't randomly hunt this in the past, we worked is as thoroughly as possible. Some of these keepers were tough to isolate, being on edge or next to iron, but some were very clear. The first 3 targets (silver dime, 2 nickels and gold ring) last week were within a 10 foot strip beside a sidewalk that I KNOW Evan hunted, and I hunted many times. Its a natural starting point for this place. It's been covered with E-Tracs, CTXs, DEUS and probably an AT-Pro and somehow we always missed them. I wouldn't have thought it possible, yet here I am with the proof in my hand!

I do know that when the new Minelab Equinox comes out, I'm going to bring it there for a test run so I can flag targets and compare them to my CTX.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread