1783 Nova Constellatio …Cool and Rare!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I had a fantastic day at a new permission farm field in central RI. The crop was just harvested and the field was “ripe” for a bit of detecting. I was gridding north/south on the property using the Garrett AT Pro in Pro-Zero, full sensitivity and zero discrimination. On the first few passes two nice old (Barber and Seated) dimes found my coil, definitely a good start! Upon the 3 and 4 pass an Indian cent, wheat cent and Mercury dime found the coil. BUT on the 6th pass a strong/solid tone alerted me as I casually looked down for the VID number, it was 81. So, I thought cool another silver dime. I dug a 6 inch scoop of farm dirt and much to my surprise, out popped what I thought was a common large cent. I removed a soft tooth brush from my finds pouch and began to very gently brush away the years of dirt only to realize it was a fantastic find. I placed it on the mound of dirt and took a “after dig/clean” photo. I could not believe my eyes a Nova Constellatio copper! I carefully wrapped the precious treasure and placed it a secure plastic case. The rest of the day was a total dream…I did find a few relics and old coins, but I could not stop thinking (what year? What type? Is it rare?...etc.).

Upon arriving home, I continued cleaning with a soft tooth brush and nothing else; as of this penning have done nothing further to the coin. The cleaning slowly uncovered a year of 1783 and according to Colonial and Early American Coins, David Bowers: a type of Crosby 2-B Pointed Rays – Small US, Rarity: USR-11.

I am still “jumping for joy” over this very cool rare coin find and hope to get back to this field in the near future.

Thank you for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

NOVA 1.jpg NOVA 2.jpg NOVA 3.jpg

NOVA 4.jpg Colonial Book 1.jpg

Upvote 70

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First you find a cob and now you find a Nova Constellatio in Rhode Island. That's it, you're officially banned! Don't even think about setting foot in this state again! LOL!

Guess I am not going to the right places but gives me hope for cool RI finds ;). Congratulations, Professor on lots of great finds! When I find something that I can't wait to see I want to 1.Stay and find more...and 2.'Run home and clean it to know what it is...

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is wow and congrats!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oooh yeah buddy! That’s a really great coin to add to the list of tough bucket listers. Great job

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Looking Nova! Congrats...........Hogge

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She's a beauty, Doc! Congrats. -Lisa & John

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Ahab8! :occasion14:

Kingrich

Dec 5, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Makro racer2
Garrett ATpro
FisherF2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember my first Nova coin, found it in Greene RI.. Awesome Coin man! Probably once in a lifetime find.. Congrats[emoji106]

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I will probably never dig up a Nova Constellation, I would love to see a picture of the SEATED, BARBER, AND MERCURY DIMES, which by the way is a TRIFECTA, and doesn't happen too often. Congratulations and I'm going Banner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Against the Wind...I will post a photo of the last two hunts at that location; lots of coins and relics!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finds like that are the best. Especially when they are eating a hole in your pocket and you know know you have something amazing. I love that excitement. Congratulations on sure a rare beautiful coin!!!!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WooHoo a Nova Constellatio! Seriously the most beautiful coin made in this country. I'd love to just see one in person. Major congratulations!
Actually made in England, but definitely an interesting and fun coin to find. They circulated along side the state coppers and counterfeit British coppers in the early days of our country. While not too uncommon as early coppers go, they are a very interesting part of our early numismatic history. Congratulations!

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old Coins with 1783 Nove Constellatio

Here you go "Against the Wind" some of the coins found in two trips to Central RI. I will start another thread with all of the coins and relics.

NOVA plus Coins.jpg

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a truly amazing find, Professor of Engineering! The other coins are very cool as well. Nice digs.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the look of the novas. Beautiful design. Congrats!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup...another banner vote.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done Doc, that Nova is on most others bucket list. I wish I was there when you dug it and noticed what you had. I hope you had the ceremonial happy dance not to mention the perma-smile that you are still enjoying.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing coin! I wouldn't clean it much. Congrats!! Dream find for me

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Doc! I love your description of your hunt...felt like I was right there with you. Congratulations on a very noteworthy find!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, she looks like a heart thumper! Way to go Doc!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread