Wild West Finds - Two Bucket Listers Scratched!!

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a garbage dump from an old mining camp along the side of this dirt road near home. Still in awe. I never expected to find an old General Service button in a place like this, let along three of them! All in great shape. And right next to the Eagle buttons and the Levi button and rivets you see in the photos there, was another first for me, and something Ive always wanted to find: A 10 gauge all brass shotgun shell from UMC. Can anyone put a date on this?

The old Blue Rival shell was nearby, another first I think, but I find shotgun shells like this all the time. Also found those pearl buttons and a couple of larger rivets, both have some leaf design on them.

Last but not least is this little square glass thing, which makes me think of China for some reason. I know its old because of where I found it. This old mining camp garbage debris field has not been contaminated with modern junk like many of the other places around here, apart from two or three modern broken bottles along the road, which were probably chucked out the window by people driving down the road. Other than that its all old tin cans, old broken glass shards, including a lot of purple shards mixed in. Square nails and regular nails are all over the place, and I even saw a few pieces of our local O'odham Indian pottery you see all over out here.

DSC04586.jpg DSC04587.jpg DSC04588.jpg DSC04590.jpg DSC04591.jpg DSC04592.jpg

DSC04584.jpg DSC04585.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a couple of photos of the back of the Eagle buttons:

DSC04594.jpg DSC04593.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you found a great relic site. Maybe you need to sift some of that dirt.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what the glass square is, but I like it. The button in the dirt is one of the best insitu pictures I've ever seen. Like nature made a display just for you to find.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. The desert preserves things well. I consider myself fortunate.

Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely do some heavy searching. Maybe a coin will turn up!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you cleaned house ! congrats..

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice assortment of finds. As has been previously mentioned, a sifter on that site might be a good idea.
Congratulations on your finds.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Nice finds, love detecting the desert!!

I believe that square glass piece was a button, probably from Bohemia/Czechoslovakia.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, love detecting the desert!!

I believe that square glass piece was a button, probably from Bohemia/Czechoslovakia.

Thank you. I was thinking button myself, based on the two square looking "holes" for lack of a better word, you see on it. Someone else here at home also suggested a button, and I did find those pearl shell buttons you see in my photo right nearby (Within a few feet)

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello OP. Real nice digs. Ya gotta love diggin' old garbage dumps...never know what will show up. Thanks for the post and Good Luck out there. C9

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Brass shotgun shells were invented in the 1860's. Around 1879-1900 a few of the companies went to paper shells. Because the paper would get wet, and not function properly the plastic shells were invented around 1960. UMC stands for Union Metallic Cartridge Company, which was later merged with Remington. I have found three of the all brass shells, and always put them in my display case. They are nice relic finds, and congrats to you on your first one.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Luvin' the 10Ga......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread