Ice Ax Pick Hatchet Thingy & Alien Body Snatcher in the WOODS!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. Not much from todays classic pull tab recovery mission. Sorry NO pull tab pics.:sad11: I did manage an interesting old iron relic though. It's some type of pick ax with a long curved hatchet type of blade. A T-net member, "iweld" suggested an "ice ax". Perhaps he's onto something. I'll research them to see if can come across any pictures or articles on them. Also I spied a giant "pod" in the woods. I carefully approached it to investigate what this bizarre looking blob was. I think it's a GIANT spore pod. However it could be an alien body snatcher about ready to burst out of it's shell and take over Dixon, Illinois. Hometown of the late Ronald Reagan, God bless him. Thanks for any suggestion as to the old iron tool or strange GIANT pod. Kurios1

Hatchet and Buckle Hunt 006.JPG Hatchet and Buckle Hunt 007.JPG Hatchet and Buckle Hunt 008.JPG Hatchet and Buckle Hunt 009.JPG Hatchet and Buckle Hunt 010.JPG Hatchet and Buckle Hunt 004.JPG

Here is a link to what I think I dug today. Ice Pick Ax Hatchet thingy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ve...750107?hash=item3af7198d5b:g:y5EAAOSwy69Ztvxx

Last edited:
Upvote 16

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ice pick/hatchet is cool as hell. I guess I live too far south to have ever heard of one.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ice pick/hatchet is cool as hell. I guess I live too far south to have ever heard of one.

Thanks mate. I do enjoy the strange and unusual rusty iron tool finds I've recovered. This one ranks near the top for weird and or unusual relic finds. I am thinking it's a early 1900's Gifford Wood Company Ice Pick Ax. 13 inches across in length. Gonna' have to bath this one in the electrolysis tank and see if I can get any stamping to come up. Thanks for stopping by.:hello:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude, you must go back and open the pod. Not fair to tease your fans with an unopened snatcher pod.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ice axe, not the usual chopper one might expect to find!

The alien pod is a Giant Puffball mushroom (Calvatia gigantea), some people slice them and pan fry 'shroom steaks but I'm not that mycologically adventurous. I did make over a grand one year selling their spores though, so some people definitely like them.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ice axe, not the usual chopper one might expect to find!

The alien pod is a Giant Puffball mushroom (Calvatia gigantea), some people slice them and pan fry 'shroom steaks but I'm not that mycologically adventurous. I did make over a grand one year selling their spores though, so some people definitely like them.

So it's edible? I won't like start tripping out and acting all goofy and laughing hysterically? Damn! I could feed a family of 20 with this honkin' big shroom. Maybe I'll go back and retrieve it. My luck it will actually be a freakin' Body Snatcher!:BangHead:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, you must go back and open the pod. Not fair to tease your fans with an unopened snatcher pod.

T-netter "Plumbata" just informed me it's an edible mushroom. Therefore I will retrieve it and cut it up for my friends. I will ship it in a Styrofoam box to you on dry ice buddy. Enjoy!:wave:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep they are edible, even tasty to some people. For some reason Russian/Ukrainian folk seem to be fond of them. They are good to eat when no spores have started maturing and they are pure white throughout, but it seems pretty darn late in the year so even though they normally have no interesting psychoactive effects a belly full of spores might be different :tongue3:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting piece of iron you found there. I always enjoy finding strange things out in the woods, whether below ground or above ground...Beware the alien pod!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evacuate Dixon. (But take the hatchet thingy with you.)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey kevin return to area thick woods 51 on one of those night missions you like to do, take all the gear you got, night vision, both shovels, and maybe a flame thrower. You are cleared for alien spore extermination !!! Ill guarantee that if you hit the area with the flame thrower the target will be eliminated !! And then youll be able to swing the coil with no weeds or brush in the way. Im pretty sure you need a flame thrower !! Its a win win man !! Dont forget the go pro too !!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Warning the Alien Baby that hatches from that pod will eat all your green veggies.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny story: My late father-in-law was big into collecting wild mushrooms, and he knew which ones were edible. On Dad's urging one year we harvested a large puffball mushroom from our yard and Dad prepared it for a gourmet feast. He sauteed the puffball slowly in butter and everyone was excited to try the new delicacy. Then reality hit: Even though we're all big mushroom fans, we all thought that puffball mushroom was awful and we'll never try it again! I wanting to vomit for hours after that meal!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

port ewen ace

Silver Member