🥇 BANNER 1925 GOLD $2.5 coin!!!! Still in shock!!!!

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all. Haven't posted in a while due to my new job I got a few months ago. I've been out for a few quickies over the last month or so, but haven't found too much. A good amount of silver I guess, but nothing compares to what happened to me today!

So I got an invite from a friend of a friend to come hunt his house in an older part of the city! I quickly jumped on the opportunity because I am NOT a door-knocker, so I don't get to hunt very many private property yards. I got out there today at about 9am and started swinging. Right away I started finding modern clad and not very many deep targets. After an hour, I finally got my first good target: 1940-s quarter. First silver quarter in a while!!!

About when I was starting to think about leaving, I noticed someone coming up to approach me. Another neighbor had seen me detecting and came over to ask me if I'd like to detect his yard...."well, yeah!!" I said. Can't pass up some more 1920's ground!

About 15 minutes into swinging, I got a solid 61 signal on my gold-bug pro. Typically, I don't dig most 60s signals because 99.9% of the time, it's a pull tab!! However, this 61 sounded a lot different! I could tell it wasn't a pulltab, and I know I've found 2 gold rings that were both 60-61 signals. So I was hoping for an old lost gold ring....boy was I wrong! Not even 2 inches below the surface, with my first scoop with the lesche, I see a dime-sized gold colored coin...my heart starts to pound. I think, "no way is this a gold coin! No way". Yes, it indeed was, and she's a beauty! There's some small scratches on it, but other than that, it looks so amazing!!! I'm still in shock from what I pulled from the ground. Of course, I have always wanted to find a gold coin of ANY style, (as does any detectorist). But I guess I just never thought I'd see the day. Just goes to show: you NEVER know when your best find will pop up outta the ground. Just have to swing that coil over it and decide to dig it!

Happy hunting everyone, and good luck!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526783.262319.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526806.976489.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526831.050599.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526854.029025.jpg

Upvote 157

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that’s an Eye Popper been hidden many years and you brought it to light, good for you! Congratulations!

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I did NOT show the homeowner. Luckily, he wasn't watching me while I was detecting and when I found the coin, I quickly put it away just like I do pulltabs and anything else I find. That's why there isn't a full series of action-pictures. My thought is this: what he doesn't know can't hurt him. Now, if this was a case full of gold bars, we'd be talking a different story! It's a small gold coin worth maybe $300 max! Wouldn't be a life-changing item for him. Definitely was for me though!! So stoked ;)

First, a big congrats on the gold coin, that's awesome!!

Second, I'd feel the same way. All the time and energy we spend detecting, when you finally do make THE find, it should be yours, you earned it.

In the town my parents live, they have a lady friend that has a beautiful old Victorian house on an acre of property. I've wanted to detect it for years, and kept pestering my parents to ask the lady if she'd let me detect. They finally asked her, and she said I could, but only if she kept all the finds. I was like WTH? ??? Ahh yeah, I'll be right there :tongue3: Should've told her, sure no problem, you can have everything, except any coins I find, because that's how I pay for batteries, gas, etc :thumbsup:

HH,
Brian

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats you lucky dog. That is probably my favorite coin to. The head dress stamped into that 99.9 gold is just beautiful.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, a big congrats on the gold coin, that's awesome!!

Second, I'd feel the same way. All the time and energy we spend detecting, when you finally do make THE find, it should be yours, you earned it.

In the town my parents live, they have a lady friend that has a beautiful old Victorian house on an acre of property. I've wanted to detect it for years, and kept pestering my parents to ask the lady if she'd let me detect. They finally asked her, and she said I could, but only if she kept all the finds. I was like WTH? ??? Ahh yeah, I'll be right there :tongue3: Should've told her, sure no problem, you can have everything, except any coins I find, because that's how I pay for batteries, gas, etc :thumbsup:

HH,
Brian

Exactly. I have asked permissions before and after the negotiations turned well in favor of the property owner I just said to heck with it. I have enough dirt to hunt where I get to keep it ALL. How many metal detectorists actually make a living from their finds? Really now! LOL!:tongue3:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This smacks of "divine" intervention to me. You get to hunt a friends house that invited you over. Then the neighbor actually approaches you and invites you over to hunt their property. How often does that happen in the life of a detectorist? I am sure it does but, rather infrequently and rarely ending up in scoring a Gold coin. You are a blessed my friend. That coin is certainly Gorgeous. I would like a picture of the obverse side if you don't mind. Just a wow find of a lifetime. Good for YOU!:o:hello2::occasion18::headbang:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad that you didn't die from the shock.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All very well said sgtled, you just never know, keeps us going. After almost 30yrs., never found one, but a thread like yours, keeps the hope alive. Every time I go out to detect, and put the headphones on, my fingers seem to twitch in anticipation still.

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All very well said sgtled, you just never know, keeps us going. After almost 30yrs., never found one, but a thread like yours, keeps the hope alive. Every time I go out to detect, and put the headphones on, my fingers seem to twitch in anticipation still.

Well thank you for your kind words! I wish you luck and hope some day you can share the feeling I had yesterday in finding a US gold coin! Unbelievable feeling!!

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This smacks of "divine" intervention to me. You get to hunt a friends house that invited you over. Then the neighbor actually approaches you and invites you over to hunt their property. How often does that happen in the life of a detectorist? I am sure it does but, rather infrequently and rarely ending up in scoring a Gold coin. You are a blessed my friend. That coin is certainly Gorgeous. I would like a picture of the obverse side if you don't mind. Just a wow find of a lifetime. Good for YOU!:o:hello2::occasion18::headbang:

You are very right my friend! It's funny how certain events in our lives stand out as being peculiar in how we ended up there. 2 years ago, I won $25,000 on a scratch-off lotto ticket....however, I bought it while in a different town visiting my father in law for his birthday. A trip I almost didn't make, but my wife insisted we go. If we hadn't gone, I would never have had the amazing feeling of winning a small jackpot. I was thinking too yesterday, "if that neighbor wasn't so curious in what I was doing, I would never have got the opportunity to hunt his yard and find that gold piece." So strange how life's path is created! Sometimes good, and sometimes bad! But I know if I ended up leaving my hunt yesterday with only the 1940 Washington quarter and some clad, id still be a happy man. Finding the 1925 Indian gold piece just made my year though ;) thanks for your kind words!!

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a top find i f it was me i might be wearing that around my neck good goinng

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread