🥇 BANNER 1925 GOLD $2.5 coin!!!! Still in shock!!!!

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all. Haven't posted in a while due to my new job I got a few months ago. I've been out for a few quickies over the last month or so, but haven't found too much. A good amount of silver I guess, but nothing compares to what happened to me today!

So I got an invite from a friend of a friend to come hunt his house in an older part of the city! I quickly jumped on the opportunity because I am NOT a door-knocker, so I don't get to hunt very many private property yards. I got out there today at about 9am and started swinging. Right away I started finding modern clad and not very many deep targets. After an hour, I finally got my first good target: 1940-s quarter. First silver quarter in a while!!!

About when I was starting to think about leaving, I noticed someone coming up to approach me. Another neighbor had seen me detecting and came over to ask me if I'd like to detect his yard...."well, yeah!!" I said. Can't pass up some more 1920's ground!

About 15 minutes into swinging, I got a solid 61 signal on my gold-bug pro. Typically, I don't dig most 60s signals because 99.9% of the time, it's a pull tab!! However, this 61 sounded a lot different! I could tell it wasn't a pulltab, and I know I've found 2 gold rings that were both 60-61 signals. So I was hoping for an old lost gold ring....boy was I wrong! Not even 2 inches below the surface, with my first scoop with the lesche, I see a dime-sized gold colored coin...my heart starts to pound. I think, "no way is this a gold coin! No way". Yes, it indeed was, and she's a beauty! There's some small scratches on it, but other than that, it looks so amazing!!! I'm still in shock from what I pulled from the ground. Of course, I have always wanted to find a gold coin of ANY style, (as does any detectorist). But I guess I just never thought I'd see the day. Just goes to show: you NEVER know when your best find will pop up outta the ground. Just have to swing that coil over it and decide to dig it!

Happy hunting everyone, and good luck!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526783.262319.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526806.976489.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526831.050599.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526854.029025.jpg

Upvote 157

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATULATIONS ! Now that is one killer find. Love the look of that coin. Something we all think about from time to time was mentioned. What DFW said is spot on you have to choose your hunts/actions before you even start your hunt. You didnt do any wrong by not showing them but it always seems like non detectorists think we find alot more than we actually do. I show the land owner everything i find the small amount of goods and the huge pile of garbage that goes with it. Most times they are amazed by the simple stuff you find in the mix. Although ive never found or shown any gold when people see gold there eyes light up so maybe that one time id let that one slip by hahah, Congratulations again!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sgt. Kyle, a gold coin is the "holy grail" hole-in-one for md'rs to find. Thanx for sharing it with us forumites. Congratz on banner. You are now a "stud-muffin" haha. These gold coins are our west coast consolation for not getting LC's and colonial coppers out of every sandbox, like the east coast guys do :tongue3:

And to get one past the '00s date-wise is rare. Most all gold coins ever found are pre 1900. Because by then, paper money and check-writing was coming into vogue. So rarely ever are ones from the teens or later found. I can't remember the last time a USA gold coin from the 1920's was posted.

Big congratz to you, from Salinas, CA !

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congrats to you :occasion14:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great to see that handsome Indian up top!...
Congrats again.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An amazing gold coin find, congrats on receiving your BANNER too! :occasion14:

Dave

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE BANNER VOTES AND FOR ALL OF THE GREAT WORDS! THIS FIND WAS TRUELY SPECIAL FOR ME AND IT WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST OF LUCK! THANK YOU AGAIN SOOOO MUCH!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, keeps the hope alive. I only add that to me, DFW THer's post #61 was noteworthy as well. As others, I to just can't seem to pass up those ---- pull tab signals, a gold ring???? perhaps? A gold COIN? man O man, wonder if I could survive it.

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Sgt has it finally sunk in what you done? Lol Just incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's finally starting too! After seeing everyone's comments and all the excitement, it really reiterates how special that coin is! Thanks again for the kind words and the banner! HH

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
congrats on banner

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all. Haven't posted in a while due to my new job I got a few months ago. I've been out for a few quickies over the last month or so, but haven't found too much. A good amount of silver I guess, but nothing compares to what happened to me today!

So I got an invite from a friend of a friend to come hunt his house in an older part of the city! I quickly jumped on the opportunity because I am NOT a door-knocker, so I don't get to hunt very many private property yards. I got out there today at about 9am and started swinging. Right away I started finding modern clad and not very many deep targets. After an hour, I finally got my first good target: 1940-s quarter. First silver quarter in a while!!!

About when I was starting to think about leaving, I noticed someone coming up to approach me. Another neighbor had seen me detecting and came over to ask me if I'd like to detect his yard...."well, yeah!!" I said. Can't pass up some more 1920's ground!

About 15 minutes into swinging, I got a solid 61 signal on my gold-bug pro. Typically, I don't dig most 60s signals because 99.9% of the time, it's a pull tab!! However, this 61 sounded a lot different! I could tell it wasn't a pulltab, and I know I've found 2 gold rings that were both 60-61 signals. So I was hoping for an old lost gold ring....boy was I wrong! Not even 2 inches below the surface, with my first scoop with the lesche, I see a dime-sized gold colored coin...my heart starts to pound. I think, "no way is this a gold coin! No way". Yes, it indeed was, and she's a beauty! There's some small scratches on it, but other than that, it looks so amazing!!! I'm still in shock from what I pulled from the ground. Of course, I have always wanted to find a gold coin of ANY style, (as does any detectorist). But I guess I just never thought I'd see the day. Just goes to show: you NEVER know when your best find will pop up outta the ground. Just have to swing that coil over it and decide to dig it!

Happy hunting everyone, and good luck!

View attachment 1515533 View attachment 1515534 View attachment 1515535 View attachment 1515536

CONGRATZ!!!
Ill give you $3 for it , that way you make 50 cent .
OK '$3.50. but that's my last offer.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!! Awesome find!!!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

wedigithemost

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2017
Nampa, ID
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Garrett Carrot AT Pinpointer, Garrett
Z-Link wireless Headphones. Minelab X-Terra 705. Compass Yukon model 77-1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see you were using the Gold bug Pro and it came up as a 61 pull tab, dig everything.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your 1st Banner, It's great to see some new blood up there. Nothing better than to impress your peers enough to get a banner.

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on an incredible find. One of the things that makes this hobby so crazy is that "you never know..." It could have been another tab or junk, and suddenly you pull up a beautiful coin. I wouldn't even have something like that on a bucket list, because what are the chances?

I thought the same as another poster, whether you showed it to the homeowner, or not. That is so problematic, as no one knows who lost the coin. It would be different if you knew that the homeowner's "Uncle Bob" had once lost his lucky $2 1/2 dollar piece, or something.

Finds like yours are what inspire the rest of us, stuck in a world of clad.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a gorgeous little disc of gold, congratulations! That find will get you through the winter :)

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your 1st Banner, It's great to see some new blood up there. Nothing better than to impress your peers enough to get a banner.

Thank you L-D! I am honored to be up there! It's quite surreal! I'm still so shocked at what I found and hearing everyone else's excitement definitely hit it home for me. Such a life-changing find! I'll be a detectorist until the day I die! Love this hobby!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread