Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: 1925 GOLD $2.5 coin!!!! Still in shock!!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2017
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    Garrett AT pro/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
    597 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD AT MAX
    4781 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcolin2u View Post
    Great find did you show it to the home owner ?
    Would you?

Kurios1 and DFW_THer like this.

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    4781 times
    Metal Detecting
    BANNER!! UNBELIEVABLE CONGRATULATIONS

us
    Hunter

Apr 2016
    Fresno, Ca
    Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
    757 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by DFW_THer View Post
    GREAT GOLD COIN, and even greater recovery. I know I'll scratch mine, if I'm ever lucky enough to find one. Haha. Never skip a 60 signal! Even if it sounds like a pull tab. The day I can differentiate a pull tab from a gold ring at 2" will be a very good day. You've got it made, sir.

Responding to Cal_Cobra: I've had a few of these recently. One was a permission I got with an old family friend. Was ironing out the logistics of making the 3hr drive up north to hunt, come to find out they want all the finds to either be donated to a museum or 'left with the house'. First off, we may be "treasure hunters", but 99.95% of us never find an item a museum would bat an eyelash at, and secondly, why do you want to put a crusty braided hair large cent into a shoebox in the closet after I worked my butt off to find it? It's worth 5 bucks, if. We search for lost items because we derive pleasure from rescuing and also keeping the history. An organized hunt or a hunt benefiting a historical society is completely different. I'm not breaking my back for 8 hours and burning a tank of gas to come home empty handed, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that mindset.

The other permission I received was actually a lady who reached out to me and said "oh oh, you should come do my yard! We have an old papermill and farmland and and..." say no more, right? Well, it was another 2 or 3 hour drive so I like to iron out the finer points before making the trip. When I got to asking about the finds, she tells me plain as day "oh, well, to be honest I wasn't expecting you to keep any of the finds". How disconnected can you really be? You want to hire a historical/archeological survey team to come out and find a couple coppers, maybe an arrow head, then that's your prerogative. I am just a hobbyist and free time is sacred. You can hire your local archeological folks and have it take months to accomplish, or you can have me come out, find a couple interesting tidbits, share the findings, and then we part ways.

I think I'm doing this wrong. Maybe it's time to bring a few non-dug merc dimes with me so I can throw them at home owners that think I'm going to make them rich. I blame recent television shows for people's ignorance.

Brad!!!! Thanks for the response man. It's an honor coming from someone as well-known and successful in the hobby as you! One of the first thoughts I had after recovering this piece was, "man, the Hoover boys haven't even found a gold coin yet...this can't be real." Haha. That being said, I on the other hand have never pulled 1700s US flowing-hair silver from the ground that find of yours is WAY more rare than a lil gold coin hehe. But hey, this hobby is full of surprises. You never know where or when something amazing will be recovered. That is part of the beauty of what we do. Recovering and preserving these pieces of history I believe is very important. Plus that rush you get? So hard to explain to non-diggers! Absolutely amazing!!!

Yeah I'm not much of a fan of giving up all my finds. Don't know if I could do that. Maybe if it were for a place like the "Gettysburg battlefield " and we had a one-time offer to detect it for a day, but had to turn in all the finds for the Gettysburg museum....Hell yes I would do that!!! Nobody is allowed on those grounds with a detector, and for good reason! So a case like that, and I'd be down to forfeit my goods...but not at the house down the street! Plus, like someone else mentioned earlier: who knows if I'll ever find another gold coin! May NEVER happen again. I couldn't give that up man. No way! I say the "pocketful of Mercs" trick sounds like a plan from now on! Lol....everyone is a winner!!! Hahaha.

Brad-thanks again for the comment, brother! Congrats on the marriage! I hope the honeymoon was fun! Hope to see ya in a future THB video. You guys keep up the good work! Laters!!

Sgt Kyle

us
    Feb 2015
    North Central PA
    Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    1954 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Pardon me while I wipe the drool from my chin........gotta learn to shut the old gaping maw when admiring finds like yours!! Banner!!
    Back to the hunt.........

us
    Kim

Jul 2017
    RI
    White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pinpointer, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
    997 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That little gold coin packs a wallop of a shine! I can almost see it in your eyes! Congratulations on a real thriller! Banner voting ....
    The detector is my stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past, to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future.....

us
    Aug 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
    208 times
    CONGRATULATIONS ! Now that is one killer find. Love the look of that coin. Something we all think about from time to time was mentioned. What DFW said is spot on you have to choose your hunts/actions before you even start your hunt. You didnt do any wrong by not showing them but it always seems like non detectorists think we find alot more than we actually do. I show the land owner everything i find the small amount of goods and the huge pile of garbage that goes with it. Most times they are amazed by the simple stuff you find in the mix. Although ive never found or shown any gold when people see gold there eyes light up so maybe that one time id let that one slip by hahah, Congratulations again!!
    Truth1253 likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    7078 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Sgt. Kyle, a gold coin is the "holy grail" hole-in-one for md'rs to find. Thanx for sharing it with us forumites. Congratz on banner. You are now a "stud-muffin" haha. These gold coins are our west coast consolation for not getting LC's and colonial coppers out of every sandbox, like the east coast guys do

And to get one past the '00s date-wise is rare. Most all gold coins ever found are pre 1900. Because by then, paper money and check-writing was coming into vogue. So rarely ever are ones from the teens or later found. I can't remember the last time a USA gold coin from the 1920's was posted.

Big congratz to you, from Salinas, CA !
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Nov 2013
    NY
    Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
    1393 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Huge congrats to you
    Instagram: @surroundedbywild

God Bless

us

Apr 2016
    4781 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hey Sgt has it finally sunk in what you done? Lol Just incredible

Charter Member
    us
    With proper planning, and investments...my retirement age is now 92

Nov 2013
    Ft. Myers FL
    Garrett AT Pro is my go to machine....the Bounty Hunter and Deteknix Quest Pro are collecting dust.
    10088 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Great to see that handsome Indian up top!...
    Congrats again.
    I invite you to visit my profile, look what I've found!

Be sure to check THE INJURY THREAD, in the General Discussion forum!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ge...unds-here.html
    and yes..I LOVE MY WIFE!

Super Bowl LI Champions

Charter Member
    us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    12335 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Congrats on the banner, sure glad it went up there.
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

ca
    Detect everyday like it's your last day!

Apr 2010
    CANADA
    XP Deus, Garrett AT PRO, Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel, 'Garrett Carrot' AT - Pointer
    2480 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    An amazing gold coin find, congrats on receiving your BANNER too!

Dave
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

us
    Hunter

Apr 2016
    Fresno, Ca
    Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
    757 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE BANNER VOTES AND FOR ALL OF THE GREAT WORDS! THIS FIND WAS TRUELY SPECIAL FOR ME AND IT WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST OF LUCK! THANK YOU AGAIN SOOOO MUCH!
    Truth1253 likes this.

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1097 times
    Again, keeps the hope alive. I only add that to me, DFW THer's post #61 was noteworthy as well. As others, I to just can't seem to pass up those ---- pull tab signals, a gold ring? perhaps? A gold COIN? man O man, wonder if I could survive it.
    Truth1253 likes this.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links