🥇 BANNER 1925 GOLD $2.5 coin!!!! Still in shock!!!!

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all. Haven't posted in a while due to my new job I got a few months ago. I've been out for a few quickies over the last month or so, but haven't found too much. A good amount of silver I guess, but nothing compares to what happened to me today!

So I got an invite from a friend of a friend to come hunt his house in an older part of the city! I quickly jumped on the opportunity because I am NOT a door-knocker, so I don't get to hunt very many private property yards. I got out there today at about 9am and started swinging. Right away I started finding modern clad and not very many deep targets. After an hour, I finally got my first good target: 1940-s quarter. First silver quarter in a while!!!

About when I was starting to think about leaving, I noticed someone coming up to approach me. Another neighbor had seen me detecting and came over to ask me if I'd like to detect his yard...."well, yeah!!" I said. Can't pass up some more 1920's ground!

About 15 minutes into swinging, I got a solid 61 signal on my gold-bug pro. Typically, I don't dig most 60s signals because 99.9% of the time, it's a pull tab!! However, this 61 sounded a lot different! I could tell it wasn't a pulltab, and I know I've found 2 gold rings that were both 60-61 signals. So I was hoping for an old lost gold ring....boy was I wrong! Not even 2 inches below the surface, with my first scoop with the lesche, I see a dime-sized gold colored coin...my heart starts to pound. I think, "no way is this a gold coin! No way". Yes, it indeed was, and she's a beauty! There's some small scratches on it, but other than that, it looks so amazing!!! I'm still in shock from what I pulled from the ground. Of course, I have always wanted to find a gold coin of ANY style, (as does any detectorist). But I guess I just never thought I'd see the day. Just goes to show: you NEVER know when your best find will pop up outta the ground. Just have to swing that coil over it and decide to dig it!

Happy hunting everyone, and good luck!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526783.262319.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526806.976489.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526831.050599.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510526854.029025.jpg

Upvote 157
OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an incredible find. One of the things that makes this hobby so crazy is that "you never know..." It could have been another tab or junk, and suddenly you pull up a beautiful coin. I wouldn't even have something like that on a bucket list, because what are the chances?

I thought the same as another poster, whether you showed it to the homeowner, or not. That is so problematic, as no one knows who lost the coin. It would be different if you knew that the homeowner's "Uncle Bob" had once lost his lucky $2 1/2 dollar piece, or something.

Finds like yours are what inspire the rest of us, stuck in a world of clad.

Haha, well thank you for your kind words. I'm usually in a "world of clad" also, but I had one of those "you never know" days last weekend! So incredible and I was very happy to be able to share it with everyone here and for the banner! I will keep this coin forever and always remember the feeling I had when I saw that gold rim looking back at me! Yeah: if I was told beforehand that uncle Bob lost his gold coin and the. I found one that was the same as the one described, I'd obviously hand it over. But not in any other case haha. Thanks again!

Sgt

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on the find of a lifetime!

Thank you! And yes, find of a LIFETIME for sure!! I wonder if I'll ever have the pleasure of finding another US gold coin. Some folks never get one. Rare coins....happy thanksgiving everyone and HH GL

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making banner!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks great up there, Congrats!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SUPERB find -- and of course one we ALL dream about! WAY TO GO!

I haven't read all posts here, so this may have been asked, but WHAT, to you, sounded "different" about this 60-61 VDI, versus other "pull tab" 60-61 signals?

AMAZING dig! And great job making the dig decision -- you were rewarded IMMENSELY!!!

CONGRATS!

Steve

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SUPERB find -- and of course one we ALL dream about! WAY TO GO!

I haven't read all posts here, so this may have been asked, but WHAT, to you, sounded "different" about this 60-61 VDI, versus other "pull tab" 60-61 signals?

AMAZING dig! And great job making the dig decision -- you were rewarded IMMENSELY!!!

CONGRATS!

Steve

Apologies for the delay in my response. Just seeing your post and question. Well, first of all: thank you for the kind words! Much appreciated. To answer your question regarding the sound I heard: I dig A LOT of public land (parks, schools, playgrounds etc) that are FULL of pulltabs. I mean full! Each time I go out I seem to dig at least 30-50 tabs of different types. I seem to believe that I have that noise in my head of what a tab makes on my detector, but I still seem to dig a whole bunch of them. Now, when I get a 61 reading and I sounds SLIGHTLY less crisp (bigger) I always assume it is not a tab and always dig that target. Most times I am wrong, and it's still a tab. But on occasion, it will turn up a ring or button or in this case, a gold coin. The other argument here is: I was at a house! Not a park with thousands of homeless people's beer tabs everywhere! So I guess the situation dictates also! If I'm at a house, I dig everything! If I'm at a park, I sometimes pass on those classic tab signals....however, I've thought a lot lately about if I've ever passed up something nice! I'm sure it's happened. But it's hard to dig every single target when every swing I get multiple tab signals. I try to stay true and dig it all....but hey, that gets old after your 35th pull tab in 15 minutes lol.

Sorry for the long drawn out response. I think this particular target sounded a bit bigger and happened to be in the right setting to get dug. The same tone at my park....I might have left it alone :( hard to say! Try to dig ALL tones possible! You never know what lies beneath!! HH and GL

A

Audozer

I've been detecting for years and have found my fair share of gold but never in the form of a coin, congrats! I'm jealous!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congrats, still on my bucket list.

Top Member Reactions