πŸ₯‡ BANNER Prehistoric Copper Culture spear/harpoon head found in Quebec.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With the fields frozen solid decided to try my luck in the woods that produced some Native American artefacts in the past. The area is extremely old so anything is possible. Wasn't expecting this though. Unearthed it very deep from under the fallen tree roots so I believe it might actually have been deeper at one point but the tree roots pulled it closer to the surface. Right out of the ground it looked like a small spear head but unlike any kettle points I have found in the past it was very thick, made of what looked like pure copper (not an alloy) and it was very crudely made. I started doubting the spear head idea and thought that it's some strange ramrod piece but its size and the extreme depth it was found at just wouldn't fit the theory. Only after arriving home and sending pics to some more knowledgeable friends and posting on specialized forums I really understood what it was. It seems I have found an Archaic Period Copper Culture spear/harpoon head dating to approx. 4000-1000 B.C. I still can't grasp those numbers as even hunting in Europe I would have had a very little chance of finding a 3000-6000 years old copper man made relic. What's even more interesting is they are extremely rare in Quebec and might have traveled the long distance from the Great Lakes thru the exchanges between the Native tribes. Super excited about this one as it's by far my oldest metal object find.

copperculture

20171115_095756[1963].jpg 20171115_095834[1961].jpg
20171115_095817[1962].jpg Screenshot_20171117-182158.jpg

Ref. Copper culture homestead.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 74

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anton,

Great find....to the best of my knowledge the copper culture artifacts were cold forged, ie; hammered with stone tools and folded again and again to add strength.

As you mentioned odds are this item made its way to Quebec as a trade item from another tribe as the majority of the raw copper used came from Ile Royale in the Great Lakes.

Great find and well worthy of a banner nomination!

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I should have said older than any metal finds we get, but I think you knew that. We do get a lot of Neolithic flints.

However, the more I ponder this, I do believe its worth a banner vote.

I appreciate your support Cru. Yes, of course, there are stone made tools in Europe that are extremely old. I found something on my hunt in France last year but I'm not sure if it's man made but sure looks like it. I recovered it on a field I found my Celtic Carnutes tribe coin. I don't know if you have seen similar items. Thanks again.

20171117_124829.jpg
20171117_124908.jpg
20171117_124853.jpg

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anton,

Great find....to the best of my knowledge the copper culture artifacts were cold forged, ie; hammered with stone tools and folded again and again to add strength.

As you mentioned odds are this item made its way to Quebec as a trade item from another tribe as the majority of the raw copper used came from Ile Royale in the Great Lakes.

Great find and well worthy of a banner nomination!

Regards + HH

Bill

Thank you Bill. Great information on the techniques used! I had no idea how they were shaped.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your support Cru. Yes, of course, there are stone made tools in Europe that are extremely old. I found something on my hunt in France last year but I'm not sure if it's man made but sure looks like it. I recovered it on a field I found my Celtic Carnutes tribe coin. I don't know if you have seen similar items. Thanks again.

View attachment 1517062
View attachment 1517063
View attachment 1517065
It is man made, I'm not sure its a tool unless its part of a larger hand axe. Probably a waster; left over from making other tools.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a bannerworthy find. Beautiful piece. I can appreciate it's historic value. Thanks for sharing. My vote is in.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Why isn't this on the BANNER?
Has to be the most interesting find Iv'e seen found on this side of the Pond.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe I might have found an exact match.
Ref. Copper culture homestead.

Screenshot_20171117-180847.jpg 20171115_095817.jpg

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Breath taking banner find of a life time.

That item alone is worth writing a paper about.

Great job.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oddjob,

Glad to see youre still kicking around and hope retirement is treating you well.

Regards + HH

Bill

Breath taking banner find of a life time.

That item alone is worth writing a paper about.

Great job.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why isn't this on the BANNER?
Has to be the most interesting find Iv'e seen found on this side of the Pond.

Thanks, I'm super excited about this find. Will be hard to beat age wise, but i'll try :laughing7:
I'm not sure how the banners work so I prefer not to expect any.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Great find , If you didnot keep soil off your relic , you need to go back to where found it and collect a soil sample from undisturbed ground from the inside of your dug hole . Luminescence testing of the soil sample date the exact time when this relic was last exposed to sun light . This best advice anyone can give you Tinpan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread