πŸ₯‡ BANNER Prehistoric Copper Culture spear/harpoon head found in Quebec.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With the fields frozen solid decided to try my luck in the woods that produced some Native American artefacts in the past. The area is extremely old so anything is possible. Wasn't expecting this though. Unearthed it very deep from under the fallen tree roots so I believe it might actually have been deeper at one point but the tree roots pulled it closer to the surface. Right out of the ground it looked like a small spear head but unlike any kettle points I have found in the past it was very thick, made of what looked like pure copper (not an alloy) and it was very crudely made. I started doubting the spear head idea and thought that it's some strange ramrod piece but its size and the extreme depth it was found at just wouldn't fit the theory. Only after arriving home and sending pics to some more knowledgeable friends and posting on specialized forums I really understood what it was. It seems I have found an Archaic Period Copper Culture spear/harpoon head dating to approx. 4000-1000 B.C. I still can't grasp those numbers as even hunting in Europe I would have had a very little chance of finding a 3000-6000 years old copper man made relic. What's even more interesting is they are extremely rare in Quebec and might have traveled the long distance from the Great Lakes thru the exchanges between the Native tribes. Super excited about this one as it's by far my oldest metal object find.

copperculture

20171115_095756[1963].jpg 20171115_095834[1961].jpg
20171115_095817[1962].jpg Screenshot_20171117-182158.jpg

Ref. Copper culture homestead.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 74

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reed,

I'd venture to guess that the archaic copper culture artifacts are more than likely the oldest worked metal relics anywhere in the world.

I'm sure it's humbling to dig up something that has been buried for thousands of years without seeing the light of day and wondering what it's story is.

Regards + HH

Bill

An old find from right here in the Americas, not over seas :notworthy:
Excellent!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reed,

I'd venture to guess that the archaic copper culture artifacts are more than likely the oldest worked metal relics anywhere in the world.

I'm sure it's humbling to dig up something that has been buried for thousands of years without seeing the light of day and wondering what it's story is.

Regards + HH

Bill

I might be mistaken, but I believe early Mesopotamian were the ones to first use metal tools. But the Copper Culture of North America started around the same time as the Bronze Age in the Middle East, around 4000 B.C.

It's extremely humbling to be the person to discover such an ancient artifact hidden in the ground for thousands of years. Just to imagine how different the life was back than for humans and animals alike. Very hard to grasp the fact that the animals like the Wooly Mammoth still roamed the Earth around the time those copper tools and weapons first appeared.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anton etal,

Kind of hard for us laymen types to keep on top of the proper facts but in the interest of accuracy it turns out odds are that the oldest worked metal comes from Serbia at about 7,000 to 7,500 years old.

Still with copper culture artifacts being as old as 6,000 years old not something to turn your nose up at....lol.

World's oldest Copper Age settlement found | TopNews

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you!!!That's what its all about Amazing find!!!Thanks for posting it

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH Banner from me also. Ill be waiving that banner when I post my gold coin hoard. I gotta find it first.. Great job amazing find!!!!!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OH Banner from me also. Ill be waiving that banner when I post my gold coin hoard. I gotta find it first.. Great job amazing find!!!!!

Thanks. Good luck with the gold hoard :icon_thumright:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet find!

Nicely done.

All the best,

Lanny

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your support Cru. Yes, of course, there are stone made tools in Europe that are extremely old. I found something on my hunt in France last year but I'm not sure if it's man made but sure looks like it. I recovered it on a field I found my Celtic Carnutes tribe coin. I don't know if you have seen similar items. Thanks again.

View attachment 1517062
View attachment 1517063
View attachment 1517065

That is a lithic for sure. Maybe just a core or a scraper or something, but definitely artificial.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a lithic for sure. Maybe just a core or a scraper or something, but definitely artificial.

It sure does look man made. I have found a few Native American stone tools in the past. None look similar to this one found in Europe.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just now clicked in this Banner find. That is awesome!!! Thank you for the history you included on this and the pictures! Seeing stuff like this reaffirms that you can find anything, anywhere, anytime. Congratulations!!!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just now clicked in this Banner find. That is awesome!!! Thank you for the history you included on this and the pictures! Seeing stuff like this reaffirms that you can find anything, anywhere, anytime. Congratulations!!!

Thank you Bodkin.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
IT PAYS TO LOOK DOWN SOMETIMES. GREAT FINDS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread