sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m on vacation and promised myself that despite the things that I need to do around the house, I’ll try to get out and do some detecting. Today it was forecasted to rain so I decided to make a quick trip to the local go-to park.

I’ve hunted this park literally over a hundred times and my buddy and I have pulled many older silver coins out of it. In fact I go here so often that I purchase an annual city park pass to keep from having to pay the five buck entry fee.

Anyway, today I hit an older area of the park that has produced well in the past. As I was swinging in an area that I’ve been over before, I got a repeatable 1-40 on the Etrac. It showed to be shallow so I ruled out it being a silver dollar. I asked myself if I wanted to dig another sprinkler head and initially I started to walk away. But, I figured I came out to metal detect and there was a piece of metal under my coil, so I may as well see what it is.

I dug a large plug and put my pinpointer in the hole. There was no signal so I checked the plug. My pinpointer went off near the side of the plug. This just got a bit more interesting. I knocked off some of the dirt and low and behold, a silver dollar was staring back at me.

It ended up being an 1896s Morgan silver dollar. It’s a bit worn but I’m happy with it. Everyone says it, but this just proves it. No place is truly hunted out.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510879356.191237.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510879407.740885.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510879443.711456.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510879469.282496.jpg

Upvote 66

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me too Kurios, what the heck, let's add a gold coin as well, just ONE of EACH before we die.

I am thoroughly convinced that there are at least a couple of gold coins in this particular park. It was established as a city park in 1903, but was used as a camping spot for travelers before that. I’ve pulled many old Barbers out, and my hunting buddy has dug a couple of shield nickels and a Morgan dollar. The problem is, the park is so trashy that I either discriminate out the midtone areas where gold coins would fall, or just don’t dig them when I do hear them. One of these days (heck, maybe today) I’ll go out there and concentrate on those gold coin ranges.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Congratulations on finding a morgan dollar. I've had that pleasure twice and feel very fortunate. Most recent on 8-6-17...a 1891p looking a little worse than yours.
That park sounds like a great place to dig mid tones to look for the elusive gold coin. Good luck out thar!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice large silver recovery! :occasion14:

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I LOVE it!!!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's incredible, Congrats! I wonder if anyone else has ever passed their coil over that beauty?

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Niiiice... Silver dollars are so darn big they are rare to find. I imagine in 1896 it was at least a days pay so folks would spend some time looking for a lost one.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Sweet!!!!

I've dug two Morgans so far, their almost as rare to dig as a gold coin :icon_thumleft:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome score, a huge congrats on pulling that Morgan. :headbang:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice you and Sgtled have both found goodies in Fresno lately.

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's incredible, Congrats! I wonder if anyone else has ever passed their coil over that beauty?

I’m kind of wondering if I’VE ever been over it before and assumed it was junk just due the shallow depth it showed to be.

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet!!!!

I've dug two Morgans so far, their almost as rare to dig as a gold coin :icon_thumleft:

That was my first Morgan. A couple of years ago I managed to pull out a 1922 Peace Dollar which is probably my favorite coin I have found to date. Unfortunately, I have no gold coins under my belt (yet).

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin. I always liked the look of those! [emoji2][emoji106]

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Ive only found one 2 inches deep 1921 Morgan. Thanks for posting it!!!!!

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Wild West Silver! The thing I like most about coins from this time and place is the mining history they are associated with. A lot of this old silver was dug up by the old timers in the Western silver mines.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing and I mean NOTHING like HUGE SILVER! That’s the high I’m still chasing. I just want it 1 more time!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread